PDA

View Full Version : Too heavy of a Pack?

EternalSaunterer
01-19-2011, 12:30
I just recently bought the TFX 5 from Lowe Alpine which is a 65L+15L pack. It weighs in at 5 Lbs 9 oz and I just wanted to hear thoughts from previous thru hikers. I would appreciate any sort of help

EternalSaunterer
01-19-2011, 12:31
I guess my main question is is it too heavy?

Buffalo Skipper
01-19-2011, 12:39
Many here would say that is too heavy, but that is really a question you must answer for yourself. Does the pack suit your needs, and does it provide you with a level of comfort when you hike with your load? It is all really subjective.

That said, I have a 3 year old Osprey Aether 70. It weighs in at about 5 lb 3 oz. I am looking for another pack which is in the 2-3 lb range. That is what I want now to lighten my load, as I have reduced my gear an no longer need a pack this big.

Personal preference.

Turtle Feet
01-19-2011, 12:47
Depends on how big and strong you are. Like Buffalo Skipper says, it's up to you.

With the weight of the pack I'm carrying (19oz) that's almost 4 1/2 more pounds of extra stuff (basically the weight of my food) that I could be carrying.

Up to you....

tf

Two Tents
01-19-2011, 12:55
That is up too you if its too heavy. Get all the rest of your gear and load it up and put it on and see how it feels. I know I'm risking the wrath of others but I'll say it cause you asked. After you load it up, weigh it. I know, I know, who cares what it weighs but you will probably not like the number you see unless all your other stuff is real lite in which case you can do with a lighter pack.

lori
01-19-2011, 13:10
For myself, my empty pack weight hovers around 2-3 lbs, because that is as low as a multi day backpack can go before it starts to cause me back issues with 20-30 lbs in it. Some people can haul 30 lbs in a pack with no frame, but I am not one. My trick shoulder acts up sometimes, and I need to decrease the pressure on it - with a solid frame I can get the majority of the load supported on the hips.

For you, I can't tell you- load it up and give it a try. Hope it's the right size, that makes a HUGE difference in how a pack will carry.

EternalSaunterer
01-19-2011, 13:15
If you don't mind me asking Turtle Feet what pack do you have and what is its capacity?

garlic08
01-19-2011, 14:24
It sounds real heavy to me, but my total load without food and water is around 10 pounds. It wouldn't be too smart to carry 10 pounds of stuff in 5 or 6 pound pack. If your total load is closer 50 or 60 pounds, it sounds like a perfect pack. To reiterate what's been said above, it all depends on what you're putting in it.

Trailbender
01-19-2011, 14:54
Too heavy. 65 liter pack that weighs right around 3 lbs. There is no need for even a large pack to weigh a lot.

cowpoke
01-19-2011, 14:59
As stated earlier....it really depends on what you like. If it's comfortable and meets your needs..then go for it. I had a similar issue...used a Kelty Redcloud (6lbs empty) for years. As I got more experienced...or should I say learned from the trail...I realized I needed to reduce the weight I was carrying. By switching to a ULA Catalyst I saved 3lbs and was just..if not more comfortable with the fit...my base weight is approx 22lbs. Happy trails...cheers.

Luddite
01-19-2011, 15:10
It depends on what kind of load you are carrying. That pack is designed to carry 55-66 pounds which is more than you're ever going to need to carry on the AT.

crazystick
01-19-2011, 15:17
I think the issue bigger than the weight of the pack is the size. I know the pack you are talking about and it can really carry alot, the 65L +15L really means its a 80L pack.
In my experience the bigger the pack the more you put in it, whether intentionally or not, I have been outfitting people for trips for years while working at REI and ive seen it happen.
So,I would say, yes your pack is a heavy one ( but i have seen lots of people useing arc'teryx packs on the AT which are heavy things) but whats heavier is all the extra stuff that will probably end up in the pack.

If you dont want to return the pack, see how you might be able to modify it. I remember taking one of the older REI 60L packs, it weighed in at 3+ lbs, after modifying it and cutting off un needed things the pack was in at 2lbs.

sarman
01-20-2011, 18:25
You asked for thru hikers. I'm not, but I was in your shoes. Just went from a 7# kelty redhawk to a 3# Catalyst. Lose 4# in the pack and another 10# off me and I'll be in good shape.

hikerboy57
01-20-2011, 18:38
Many here would say that is too heavy, but that is really a question you must answer for yourself. Does the pack suit your needs, and does it provide you with a level of comfort when you hike with your load? It is all really subjective.

That said, I have a 3 year old Osprey Aether 70. It weighs in at about 5 lb 3 oz. I am looking for another pack which is in the 2-3 lb range. That is what I want now to lighten my load, as I have reduced my gear an no longer need a pack this big.

Personal preference.
Try the Osprey Atmos65.Its almost half the weight of the Aether, and comfortably carries all my gear.

gawhiteh2o
01-20-2011, 19:06
:-?
For me the following questions are important in the selection of a pack:
(1) what volume do I need to carry...gear, food, & water....for me about 3500 cu in works.
(2) what do I need in a pack to fit my body type. I am very short waisted...small distance between shoulders and my waist/hips. I could not find a none adjustable pack that fit, but it took many attempts to get to the right choice for me.
(3) how much adjustability do I need. I finally selected a small Osprey Aether 60 (model year 2009). Thius fit me waist to shoulder, but I am an aging man and the small waist belt had to go to be replaced by a large. This did the trick.

As a consequence, I have a pack that weighs in at 3 lb 8 oz and fits well quite confortably ... putting most weight on my hips and staying there as I hike throughout the day.

The process to find the right pack took about 4 months of trial and error.

Good luck.

sixguns01
01-20-2011, 19:37
I just recently bought the TFX 5 from Lowe Alpine which is a 65L+15L pack. It weighs in at 5 Lbs 9 oz and I just wanted to hear thoughts from previous thru hikers. I would appreciate any sort of help

I know you heard it over and over again; it depends. If it is comfortable for you then no it's not too heavy. I have a Golite Pinnacle 72L (2.5lbs) that I love but I still have my Kelty External Frame pack that weighs 6bs that is probably the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

It's all up to you. If it works for you then keep it.

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2011, 19:42
I know you heard it over and over again; it depends. If it is comfortable for you then no it's not too heavy. I have a Golite Pinnacle 72L (2.5lbs) that I love but I still have my Kelty External Frame pack that weighs 6bs that is probably the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

It's all up to you. If it works for you then keep it.
well said!:cool:

Graywolf
01-20-2011, 20:48
Heres my thoughts. I had a Kelty Expedition (not made anymore). It was a frame pack and weighed in at 6#. Yes thats heavy, but of rthe time period it was a nice pack. It gave up its ghost in 2009 on a section hike. Thats after 15 years of scrambling around. I really miss that pack.

Now I have an internal, an Alps Mountaineering. Sar online for $99 sale. Yes, Its still on the heavy side, 4# but it will do the job. I also have another pack at 3 pounds from Germany. It will be my summer pack. But all in all I like what the Apls give me and it rides well, with weight. So....

Just as the others, what are you looking at? For some hikers, a heavier pack carries heavier weight better than others. Does it feel right to you? Does it pack easy? As one reply stated, can you modify it by taking off things you really don need. the choice is yours, but make it you choice, not others opinions..

Blissful
01-20-2011, 21:10

I used a Lowes to start in '07. I switched out halfway through to a much lighter and smaller pack and glad I did. No way would I have been able to carry that thing through the hard terrain of NH and ME. It made for a much more enjoyable trip for me.

Blissful
01-20-2011, 21:12
I guess my main question is is it too heavy?

Well, you're young. You've got youth on you.
But you'll likely want something lighter later on.

gipcgirl
01-20-2011, 21:34
Far too heavy, you will notice the weight after a few weeks.

gipcgirl
01-20-2011, 21:41
Far too heavy, you will notice the weight after a few weeks.
I used a ULA circuit, ultra lite it was perfect for me, I had everything I needed for cold weather for the start (springer) of my AT hike 2010 (mid march) my base weight i.e. without water and food was 9lbs. Very comfy pack. Think about comfort sure, but ultimately the weight you carry or not will be with you every step of the way, so lighter the better.

Appalachian Tater
01-20-2011, 23:03
Yes, it's too heavy. That's at least two pounds that you don't have to carry and you will be carrying it over 2,000 miles up and down mountains. If you start out with a heavy pack, sleeping bag, or shelter then all the titanium spoons in the world won't make up for it. Some days you won't want to carry two liters of water much less a heavy pack.

skinewmexico
01-20-2011, 23:46
When I was 19, nothing was too heavy. Now that I'm old, I'll take all the help I can get from lighter gear. That improved efficiency probably would have been helpful even when I was 19. But you gota find what works for you. That's all that matters.

Wolf - 23000
01-21-2011, 07:22
There are some hikers that carry larger packs. I personal carry a much smaller pack but I'm not you. My point is this, do what you feel is right for you and the helk with everyone else option of it. The people giving you their opions are not the ones who are carrying it, you are. Only you can make the choice if it is to heavy of a pack or not, and depending on what you are doing might be a lot different than the people giving you their advise.

Wolf

EternalSaunterer
01-25-2011, 12:23
Lots of valid points and a constant theme throughout of personal choice. I have decided to make the switch to the 2010 GoLite Jam which is a 50 L frameless pack. Thanks everyone for all the help. See you all at Katahdin

Turtle Feet
01-25-2011, 12:39
If you don't mind me asking Turtle Feet what pack do you have and what is its capacity?

Ooops! Just saw this, sorry, I didn't subscribe to the thread, but GOOD CHOICE!!!! Just so happens I carry a Go Lite Jam as well. You can see the rest of my gear list at postholer.com/turtlefeet The page will say you can't view this journal or something to that effect. You can - just look up at the top of that page and there's an tab for "View Journal", just click on that and you can read some of my posts and check out my gear list!

See you on the Trail!!!

tf

DavidNH
01-25-2011, 14:27
son basically you have (or are considering) a pack that has a capacity of 65 L or a tad under 4000 cubic inch capacity and weights 6 pounds. Sounds heavy to me.

When I thru hiked I used a Gregory Forester (5 pounds 5000 cubic inch capacity) so you can definitely find lighter packs.

That said, most of the weight comes from the stuff you put into your pack, not the pack itself. The bigger the pack, the more you'll carry.

David

skinewmexico
01-25-2011, 21:02
Lots of valid points and a constant theme throughout of personal choice. I have decided to make the switch to the 2010 GoLite Jam which is a 50 L frameless pack. Thanks everyone for all the help. See you all at Katahdin

Nice pack, I have one somewhere. If you pull the foam pad out of it, and trace that onto a blue ccf pad from Walmart, cut it out, and replace it....it will carry a little better. Make sure you keep it comressed tightly, and it will transfer to your hips a little better.

Bronk
01-26-2011, 06:36
Funny thing is its hard to find a pack that weighs under 5 lbs if you are shopping the typical outdoor stores. I was in Cabelas recently and saw an "Ultralight Backpacker Tent" that weighed over 6 pounds. They didn't have a tent there that was under 5 pounds and they didn't have a pack that wasn't a day pack that was under 5 pounds. And its not all that much better shopping online.

MOST camping gear is marketed towards people who car camp or maybe walk a mile or two up a trail. MANY of the young kids who buy these 6+ pound packs aren't going to be doing ANY camping...they are backpacking across Europe or using it as a book bag and just want a "hard core" brand name that makes people think they are a backpacker.

MOST people I saw hiking on the AT had packs that weighed over 5 lbs. There is a reason that most everywhere you go they are selling these heavy packs--because people buy them. The vast majority of hikers are not into ultralight...most packs I've seen on the AT are 30 to 40 pound packs or heavier. Getting below that requires lighter gear, but most people don't realize they need or want lighter gear until they've gone a few hundred miles...and most people never make it that far.

takethisbread
01-26-2011, 08:00
I've had two lives as a hiker.

Everything before my ULA pack.

And the good life with the ULA.

There's a reason why it's the most popular pack
With long distance hikers.

Seriously sometimes bigger packs are bad, bc they don't force you to make tough choices you should be making.

Sensei
01-26-2011, 11:56
I didn't read all the previous posts very carefully, so someone might have already said this, but how the pack fits you is much more important than how much it weighs. The "wrong" pack with the right fit is a better choice than the "right" pack with the wrong fit, if that makes any sense.

play_outside
01-26-2011, 17:00
I'm starting my thru hike next week and have the Osprey Aether 80, which is rather large and heavy (6.5#). Part of me wishes I would have gone with a lighter pack, but I just loaded it up and tried it on yesterday and wow is it comfortable! My loaded weight (including food, water, gas) is 33#. I'm sure I'll drop a few pounds from the pack as I go and realize what I don't need, but right now I'm very happy with my pack and total weight.

I think it also depends on how many people you are hiking with. I am hiking with 2 other people so I was able to justify carrying a tent, white gas stove, and other luxuries because we can split the group gear 3 ways.

Speakeasy TN
01-27-2011, 18:08
I'm starting my thru hike next week and have the Osprey Aether 80, which is rather large and heavy (6.5#). Part of me wishes I would have gone with a lighter pack, but I just loaded it up and tried it on yesterday and wow is it comfortable! My loaded weight (including food, water, gas) is 33#. I'm sure I'll drop a few pounds from the pack as I go and realize what I don't need, but right now I'm very happy with my pack and total weight.

I think it also depends on how many people you are hiking with. I am hiking with 2 other people so I was able to justify carrying a tent, white gas stove, and other luxuries because we can split the group gear 3 ways.

I'll have to agree! I will be starting with a Gregory Pallisade. It is heavy but it's comfy. Maybe when I dump the winter clothes and bag then I'll have an excuse to go to a lighter smaller bag.