PDA

View Full Version : Fbc burger?

garbanz
01-19-2011, 12:42
Does dehydrated burger lend itself to FBC? (cooked before dehydrated?) That is, will cooked burger rehydrate to satisfaction with just hot water poured over it and put in a cozy for a while ?

sarbar
01-19-2011, 12:57
Yes it does!

sarbar
01-19-2011, 12:58
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/mini-trail-sliders - I did that one back in fall of 2009 :)

lori
01-19-2011, 13:12
I've done hamburger gravel - you can hasten the rehydration by throwing it in water over the stove, but it will also rehydrate in 30-45 minutes in cold water. Some folks put it in cold water at lunchtime so it's ready by dinner.

zelph
01-19-2011, 14:52
The patties mentioned in the following thread sounds interesting:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2711

CrumbSnatcher
01-19-2011, 15:38
never tried that
bought hamburger at a store once, threw it into the hostels freezer and carried it out the next day for dinner that night. turned my lipton into a hamburger helper:)

mweinstone
01-19-2011, 16:00
when i hike, trail angel mary sends me all manner of cool food she dehydrates. she does bacon cheaseburger soup that is to die for. she sent me burbon shrimp once. you never know what your gonna get in a mary box. once, i opened one and smelled a strong oder of alcohol. i was thinking she sent booze and it leaked. nope. it was a ziplock of dehydrated fruit sclices that fermented and turned to booze. her boxes can be frightning, but they contain love. the prime ingredient in fighting off "far from home syndrome".

Farr Away
01-20-2011, 12:37
Yes, in different meals I've done, it's been fine after 15 to 20 minutes. The hamburger itself may have been ready before that, but I was waiting on other ingredients.

-FA

Doc Mike
01-20-2011, 14:33
I use dehydrated venison (no fat) and it works well add the boiling water, burger and pasta and beef stoganoff in about 10 miutes.

doc Mike

garbanz
01-20-2011, 16:35
Im also going to try venison because Ive trimmed all the fat off. If it turns out good I plan to mix it with carbs and dried veggies and seasonings. Then I will vac pack it and load it into several maildrop boxes. The boxes will also contain a ziplock for each meal that I will fill from the vac pack when I pick up the maildrop on the trail. My support person will mail the boxes at intervals as I head North.
Ive heard on one WB post that dehydrated burger is being stored in the freezer before taken on the trail. Is this necessary?

sarbar
01-20-2011, 21:10
Storing your hamburger in the freezer extends the life - get as lean as you can for better long term storage. What goes bad is the fat first. At least for me I can smell when dry meat goes rancid though.