PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Insulated Air Core

TheYoungOne
01-19-2011, 16:31
Anyone have a BA insulated Air Core, and do they like it?

I already have a ridgerest foam mat, but is a get older I want just a little more comfort if I am sleeping on the ground. I also want to get it as mattress for kids sleepovers and such.

chiefduffy
01-19-2011, 16:34
I have one. I think its probably the warmest, softest hiking pad available, although fairly heavy. That said, I found I cannot sleep on the ground anymore regardless. I ended up going to a hammock - sleep like a baby now.

johnnybgood
01-19-2011, 18:47
BA insulated air core is a must for me any more when sleeping on the ground . The downside is it doesn't compress very well in your pack and I've known hikers that have had trouble inflating it .
The 'ol lungs will get a workout to get it fully inflated.

QiWiz
01-19-2011, 22:51
I have a BA Insulated Air Core I recently purchased used. 72" by 20" mummy style. 20 oz. Rated to 15 degrees. Am going to stick with a NeoAir; do not need both.

If you or anyone else is interested, it's yours for $49 shipped in conus. Sells for $80 plus shipping new.

SOLD - payment pending from Swash

jeremesh
01-19-2011, 22:55
BA insulated air core is a must for me any more when sleeping on the ground . The downside is it doesn't compress very well in your pack and I've known hikers that have had trouble inflating it .
The 'ol lungs will get a workout to get it fully inflated.

check out the exped insulated inflatables... they have an integrated hand pump.

Weldman
01-20-2011, 02:17
I have a B.A. Insulated air Core, its a Mummy 72 x 20.
Main reason i got it was for Snow camping, used it with a thick Space blanket.

I get by with a Therma Z-rest on most trips but for hard packed snow this is a must have item.

psyculman
01-20-2011, 06:34
I use a reg. mummy BA insulated air core in my hammock, if there's a chance I might have to snow cave instead of hammock hang on a trip.

It's weight is minimal, the packed size is about a nalgene bottle volume. Perfectly warm to the teens, so far. As for blowing it up, I'm breathing anyway, so, no problem inflating it. It's not much more weight or volume than any other option, for cold winter. Not a bad price either.

Bags4266
01-20-2011, 09:49
If you want a custom made pad, made to any size you want and any warmth you'll need try Kooka Bay pads. Bender makes custom size pads, air, synethic, down wide narrow long or short. They are also very light weight. Below is a quote from him for sizes weights and price on the size I requested.
I went w/ the full length mummy in syn. note the weight, a BA Insl. weighs around 24-25 oz and is not as warm as they state. My pad will get me to 15* to match my sleeping bag. Downside, 3 weeks to get one.

Mummy 72x20x2.5" R5 Synthetic 16 oz $159
Rectangular 64x20x2.5" R5 Synthetic $149 17 oz
Rectangular 64x20x2.5" R8 Down $ 179 20.3 oz

inabag
01-20-2011, 12:57
I 2nd Kookabay pads.

Trailryder42
01-22-2011, 16:57
I have the BA IAC pad. Quite comfortable. It does take a lot of air/lung power. For the AT, blowing the thing up almost every day for 5-6 months is not something I would look forward to.

Tinker
01-22-2011, 23:23
Anyone have a BA insulated Air Core, and do they like it?

I already have a ridgerest foam mat, but is a get older I want just a little more comfort if I am sleeping on the ground. I also want to get it as mattress for kids sleepovers and such.

I have an air core (non-insulated). I also have a ridgerest. You can have a system by using your ridgerest (insulation) on top of your BA air core. In the heat of summer you can use your ridgerest on the bottom to minimize punctures or you can leave it at home. You'll be the coolest ground dweller in the campsite.
A friend's Thermarest (old style 1-1/2") pad went down on him once. He not only lost his cushy comfort, he also lost his insulation. :-?

Blissful
01-22-2011, 23:43
I used BA for a long time then switched to the Thermarest neoair. Wow it is so much better and lighter. U sleep much better. I use a thin Gossamer gear pad under it for some insulation in colder weather

Tinker
01-22-2011, 23:48
I used BA for a long time then switched to the Thermarest neoair. Wow it is so much better and lighter. U sleep much better. I use a thin Gossamer gear pad under it for some insulation in colder weather

The GG pad will be more efficient if you use it on top (insulation against the warmth of your body rather than separated by the thickness of the NeoAir which allows heat to escape by convection). :)