PDA

View Full Version : Higher elevation conditions

Chaco Taco
01-19-2011, 16:34
Im going to be bidding a fond farewell to my home here in WNC and jumping out for a hike this Friday and Saturday. My plan is to drive to where ever I am going EARLY Friday morning and finish late afternoon Saturday. I dont want to pay for a shuttle because of our moving expenses so it would be an out and back. Im wondering how the trail is right now with the snow from last week. I see Big Bald every day on my way to school and see there is still snow up around 5,000. Wondering if anyone has been to any of the following and can report to me the snow depths. Im fine with snow hiking but just want to have it in my head if there is 5 inches or a foot.
Silers bald, Wayah Gap area either on the AT or Bartram
Over Rich Mtn and the Ridgeline
Roan and Grassy Ridge
Thanks in advance- CT

The Cleaner
01-19-2011, 17:55
In another post I reported about 2' snow near the fiertower access road to Camp Creek Bald elev 4844' as of a few days ago.I'm sure a little melting since then so figure 15" 18" of heavy,wet snow,a real pain to hike in.With recent snows I'm pretty sure that these conditions exist all the way to Springer.I'd also say that at 5-6K ft probably even deeper,colder.With more snow,very cold forecast for this weekend looks like things won't be improving soon.It's not the snow&cold that is so bad,the weather has been cloudywindy with a few sunny days here&there.Seems like getting 2-4 days of good day's weather in a row may be hard to get till spring if current weather continues...:sun

Chaco Taco
01-19-2011, 23:30
In another post I reported about 2' snow near the fiertower access road to Camp Creek Bald elev 4844' as of a few days ago.I'm sure a little melting since then so figure 15" 18" of heavy,wet snow,a real pain to hike in.With recent snows I'm pretty sure that these conditions exist all the way to Springer.I'd also say that at 5-6K ft probably even deeper,colder.With more snow,very cold forecast for this weekend looks like things won't be improving soon.It's not the snow&cold that is so bad,the weather has been cloudywindy with a few sunny days here&there.Seems like getting 2-4 days of good day's weather in a row may be hard to get till spring if current weather continues...:sun
Thanks Cleaner. I do know it was snowing earlier up near Buckner and Sams Gap and that Big Bald probably still has a foot or so. Im thinking of trying to do a loop somewhere if i can find a decent one around here. Thanks for the input

10-K
01-20-2011, 08:42

I'm tempted to start at Devil's Fork Gap in the morning and see if I can make it to Hot Springs in time for breakfast Sunday.... Depends on the weather tonight.

(easy to say from the comfort of my Lazy-boy here in the living room)

10-K
01-20-2011, 08:44
In the past few days I've hiked the AT from Indian Grave Gap to Spivey's Gap and there is no place that hiking is difficult.

In that 20 mile stretch, the worst snow is the first mile north of SG.