PDA

View Full Version : water treatment

neo
12-29-2004, 00:28
i just wanted to see how other whiteblazers treat their water.i carry polar pure
and a bota bottle with filter,its good for floaties,giardia,crypto,the bota bottle
filters out the bigger stuff,giarda,crptofloatis,use polar pure for the virus and bacteria,polar pure 11.00 bucks bota bottle is 15.00 bucks:sun neo

lobster
12-29-2004, 00:32
I just used polar pure.

grandview
12-29-2004, 00:42
I have one of those Bota Outback sqeeze filter bottles I believe you're talking about...It takes a little effort to get the water out in my opinion. But I enjoy having one along for a dayhike.

I typically just use a filter pump without purification.

tribes
12-29-2004, 00:58
I use Aqua Mira and a cone shaped coffee filter for particle filtering if the dipping is not so good. I am thinking about an MSR MIOX for my thru but have't made up my mind. In theory it should pay for itself over the course of a thru in the cost of aqua mira alone. Any thoughts folks???

TRI :sun BES

Lone Wolf
12-29-2004, 06:06
I do not filter/treat any water.

Bloodroot
12-29-2004, 06:58
I either drink it strait or in sketchy areas filter with my PUR Hiker.

bearbag hanger
12-29-2004, 08:01
I used a MSR Miox during most of my 2004 thru hike, starting at Hot Springs, NC and all the way to Maine. Seems to work very well. I think I went through about three sets of batteries. The batteries are a little more expensive than the AquaMira stuff, but they are always available. The further north you get, the harder it is to locate the AquaMira. But if you use mail drops, then it shouldn't be a problem.

SGT Rock
12-29-2004, 08:47
Cheap iodine tablets at Wal-Mart.

Peaks
12-29-2004, 08:48
I think there have been poles on water treatment. Lots of different options. Why not look up the old poles?

Pooja Blue
12-29-2004, 15:02
Bandana and Aqua Mira.

hikerjohnd
12-29-2004, 15:07
For years I swore by my MSR WaterWorks filter. Lately, I have discovered I prefer the PUR (Katadyn) Hiker. The cost of replacement filters became the determining factor.

:banana the bananna is so cool!

wacocelt
12-29-2004, 15:10
I've survived drinking ground water in both Panama and Mexico without filters or treatment. I don't treat, though will occasionally cloth (bandana) filter from stirred water sources. Just because I jump off the bridge doesn't mean I want you to follow me however, unless you want to!

chris
12-29-2004, 15:45
I've stopped treating water unless I'm worried about the source, in which case I usually don't take from the source anyways. Two years, across the country (and Canada), and no problems. I treated two or three times this last summer between VA and VT. I do carry polar pure just in case, though.

runs247
12-29-2004, 17:19
First Need Deluxe Purifier

markellag
01-19-2005, 09:28
I have Bota Outback squeeze filter bottle.
It does not suit my style.
I like large quantities of water, rapidly.
A Bota Outback will give you low volume with a lot of effort.
This squeeze bottle will test your patients.
Aqua Mira is the best choice.

Mouse
01-19-2005, 10:19
I started with a filter bottle for the cold months. The element was at the bottom of the bottle so keeping it imersed at night prevented it from freezing and cracking. On really cold nights it went into my sleeping bag.

Once it was warm enough that tubes and bite valves would not freeze, I got a platypus from my bounce box. I used that for the main supply, purifying with Aqua Mira, and used the bottle for cameling at water sources. By then I did not have to worry about cold increasing the treatment time for chemicals.

Later when weight became an issue in the Whites I sent the filter bottle home and relied on the Platypus and Aqua Mira. I replaced two bite valves and one bladder during my hike.

I also kept a 20oz Gatorade bottle with me the whole hike to use for mixing cocoa or other drinks ande to hold a reserve water supply whenever needed.

That suited my treatment system to the weather and reduced the total ingestion of treatment chemicals.

hungryhowie
01-19-2005, 11:48
On my thru I carried a PuR Hiker filter. I filtered every drop of water that I drank.

On a section hike the next spring, I carried polar pure, but the bottle broke 1/4 of the way through so I went the rest of the way without purifying the water. I chose my sources carefully and never got sick.

On the Long Trail, I started with a bottle of Iodine tablets for those times when I wasn't quite sure about the quality of the water, but the taste got old so I switched to a bottle of Aqua Mira halfway through. I've been using Aqua Mira ever since. I probably treat about a third of the water I drink, so Aqua Mira doesn't really end up being that expensive. Of all of the methods I've tried, Aqua Mira is my favorite. It is small, unobtrusive, and tasteless (so far as I can tell). On the other hand, it does take about 30 minutes to have an effect like other chemical treatments.

For floaties in still water or water on the ground, I try to disturb the water as little as possible by scooping it out with my pot. I usually try to find a little "flow" or drop over a rock, though, as it makes it much easier to get water into the bag.

-howie

swamp dawg
01-19-2005, 12:14
I carry a PUR Hiker just to be safe. I know it a trade off but it is my luxury item.
Life is good on the trail...Swamp Dawg

Footslogger
01-19-2005, 12:52
Well ...I should preface my comments by saying that I own and have used just about every type of filter/purifier made. Drug them out on hiking trips for well over 15 years and finally decided that they were giving me a false sense of security. When I would break down the various filters, either out on the trail or later at home, they all had gobs (technical word) of gunk (another technical word) in them and the hoses were gradually getting discolored. I just began to believe that those devices, in the long haul, are perfect environments for some of the the exact things I was trying to avoid.

I tried iodine tablets but most of the water I was treating was pretty cold and the tablets didn't disolve very fast or well. So, I went with PolarPure (iodine solution). It seemed to work well and I never got sick, but I really didn't like the flavor of the treated water and all my water containers were slowly turning orange. I also began to have health concerns over the long term ingestion of iodine.

When AquaMira first hit the scene I was hesitant ...mainly because I thought it was just concentrated bleach in a fancy package. I know some hikers use bleach but I've seen what it can do to fabric and wasn't about to experiment with it on my stomach lining. But I read up on the AquaMira and consulted some chemist friends of mine and finally decided to go that route. I began using AquaMira exclusively and still use it today.

I tend to choose my water sources rather carefully (when possible). When I believe the water source is iffy, I skim off the floaties and avoid as much sediment as possible and then treat with the AquaMira. Like already mentioned, since I don't use it all the time it tends to go a long way.

Does it TOTALLY purify all my water ?? ...probably not. But it's all about your own comfort level. To date I've had no water related health issues ...so I trust it, at least until I get sick or something I like better comes on the market.

'Slogger
AT 2003

quantum
01-19-2005, 17:42
Now I use a Pur Hiker all the time. I had gotten away with untreated for a long time, but I figure sooner or later....

PecosBackpacker
01-19-2005, 18:04
I typically use Potable Agua during the day and boil water while in camp. So far, so good.

Bearbait
01-20-2005, 04:31
I use the "Katadyn Hiker" with a coffee filter attached to the pickup end. This helps block the larger particulates from reaching the internal paper filter. I have drawn water from mountain stream down to mud puddles and have never picked up a bug. They are easy to use and can filter a lot of water fast. Just make sure during freezing temperatures you sleep with it and keep it warm. When you get home, remove the filter and let it air dry for several days. You should get about 200 gallons through the filter before having to replace it.

mdjeeper
01-20-2005, 04:41
i use the same setup that bearbait does and havent had any problems.. if its a fast flowing mtn stream or a spring i dont always filter, but 99% of the time i play it safe

jackiebolen
01-20-2005, 16:35
I used no form of water treatment for any of the water I drink in the wilderness. Only gotten sick once in 10 years!