PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a first time hiker

JawsThemeSwimming428
01-19-2011, 18:26
I plan on hiking parts of the AT this year (mostly in PA) and doing longer hikes next year. I know nothing about hiking other than what I started reading the past few weeks. I have a bunch of questions below and any information you can give me I would appreciate! I'm looking for the best places to go to find out about this and how to prepare for this.

Tent vs. Hammock - I have been researching this a lot and after what I have read so far am leaning toward a hammock. The brands I have found are Warbonnet, Henessey, Jacks R Better, Speer, and the Mosquito Hammock. Not sure what I really need to look for though. I plan on doing this hike in April.
I have been looking at REI for gear (stove, cookware, sleeping bags, etc.). How do I go about picking out a backpack and know that all of my stuff will fit in it and it's the best one for me?
Hiking clothing - What is the best place to go for hiking clothing and what should I be looking for? Also, hiking shoes vs boots?
Hiking alone - Good idea vs bad idea?
What are common things first time hikers forget about or don't account for?

I'm really just trying to figure out the best way to get started. Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

leaftye
01-19-2011, 18:43
For the hammock, the suspension is what you want to pay the most attention to. There are plenty of ways to ease setup and reduce weight.

The easiest way to pick the right pack is to put all your stuff in it.

For hiking clothing, pants at least, I think the most important thing is to have the right fit. I've had a couple pants that restricted my stride. Your feet will get wet in boots, either from sweat or stepping in creeks that are deeper than the boots are tall. Boots don't provide much ankle support...think about it. It's easier to go far and fast with shoes.

I prefer to hike alone and camp in groups. When I hike with a fast hiker, I tend to push myself to injury.

Commonly forgotten things...I'd have to guess since it's been so long. Probably blisters and food. Treat blisters quickly. I think leukotape is better than moleskin. New hikers often take too much food and it usually has way too many wrappers.

rockytop7
01-19-2011, 18:51
I'll try and give you a few quick answers! I'm sure you'll get a ton of feedback.

My best advice, if you're at the beginning of acquiring gear, is to begin with lightweight gear. I don't mean to always buy the lightest stuff, but atleast begin to be weight conscious from the start. As you get more familiar with your set-up and gear preferences, you will be able to shave weight over time, but you will be very happy if you begin with a lightweight kit.

Tent vs Hammock - totally a personal preference, and you will get different opinions from everyone you talk to. Hammocks are comfortable and work especially well in humid places. I have found that I can get a lighter sleeping set up with a tarp/tarptent, so that's what I have stuck with.

Backpack - If you are near an REI, I would make you pack your last purchase, or near the last purchase. You don't know how big of a pack you need until you know what's going in it. Get your sleeping bag, pad, tent, cookware first, then take all of it into your REI and find a bag that you can pack all your stuff into. That will make that process much easier.

Clothing - NO cotton. Stick to synthetics or wool. Shop around and wait for good deals. If you're beginning with summer hiking you won't have to purchase many clothing pieces. For a 3 season set up, choose the most versatile pieces possible. Versatility is key in being able to regulate body temperature, and you will spend less money over time.

The only time I would buy boots are if you are carrying a lot of weight (30+ pounds) or if the terrain is very rocky, or in the winter time. You will probably be much happier if you choose a lighter option, like a low stable hiker or a trail runner. Stay away from gore-tex for summer hiking.

There's my two cents for now, hope some of that helped!

Tinker
01-19-2011, 19:06
I plan on hiking parts of the AT this year (mostly in PA) and doing longer hikes next year. I know nothing about hiking other than what I started reading the past few weeks. I have a bunch of questions below and any information you can give me I would appreciate! I'm looking for the best places to go to find out about this and how to prepare for this.

Tent vs. Hammock - I have been researching this a lot and after what I have read so far am leaning toward a hammock. The brands I have found are Warbonnet, Henessey, Jacks R Better, Speer, and the Mosquito Hammock. Not sure what I really need to look for though. I plan on doing this hike in April.
I have been looking at REI for gear (stove, cookware, sleeping bags, etc.). How do I go about picking out a backpack and know that all of my stuff will fit in it and it's the best one for me?
Hiking clothing - What is the best place to go for hiking clothing and what should I be looking for? Also, hiking shoes vs boots?
I'm really just trying to figure out the best way to get started. Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

:welcome
Hey, I like answering questions, especially for new hikers, but before someone else does it, please let me point out the "search" fruction on this website. The button is to the right of the "new posts" button. If you click on this and type a word or words, say, "long underwear", it will link you to all posts with those words. You can entertain yourself for hours that way.
Short answers:
1a) Warm weather - hammock. If you like the way they cradle you, and you're a warm sleeper, the attraction (besides being off of the ground and out of the mud) is that you don't need a level site and cooling breezes can flow all around your sweaty, tired body.
1b) Cold weather - tent. Hammocks need insulation all around, which means that you need to buy expensive underquilts or carry bulky foam pads. Tents provide dead air space in a cold wind and some room to get dressed out of the wind. You will, however, have to carry an insulated pad. There are exceptions to these rules, of course.

2a) Get your gear first and your pack once you know what you'll be putting in it. I have several packs because each season requires that I bring different gear (different volumes).
2b) You'll need to assemble your gear and take it to your local outfitter (REI is a good place, generally). Make sure to stop at customer service first so that they know that the gear you have is yours :), and have someone fit a pack to you and help you load it up (there are threads here on how to load a pack, too).
3a Clothing? I like the Salvation Army for wool sweaters, wind breakers, shoes (sometimes) and hats. Sierra Trading Post is a clearing house for outdoor gear manufacturers. Many of the items are perfect but may not be the "latest style" :p.
3b) Shoes or boots? It's completely a matter of personal preference, but most folks start with boots and either switch to lighter shoes down the road or decide boots are their thing.
4) Hiking alone? There are no guarantees in the game of life. You take more chances hiking alone, but if you value solitude you will eventually find it's just as rewarding as taking a friend (maybe moreso).
5) First time hikers generally wear unproven footwear (buying because someone says they should instead of wearing them around town, to work, etc. before they hit the trail).
First time hikers usually carry too much:
Clothing,
Cookware,
Food,
Comfort items.
.......and that's a short answer ????? :datz

The Weasel
01-19-2011, 19:11
A shorter answer...

If you're new, don't buy gear. REI will rent much of what you need (including tents, and other top end backpacking stores will too), so you can change choices easily and learn your preferences.

For anything you've listed, if you buy the cheapest available, you won't lose, as long as you have decent shoes (walking shoes, low end, are just fine for 20-30 mile hikes).

There's nothing more pathetic than going to a garage sale of someone who's dropped $1000 on gear for a couple of hikes only to find out they don't enjoy it.

Remember Granny Gatewood: Multiple thru hiker in her 70s, using tennis shoes and a shower curtain for a shelter.

TW

Lilred
01-19-2011, 19:20

I've layed in a few different hammocks other folks have set up and I instantly fell in love with the Warbonnet. I hiked a few days with a guy that was testing the prototype. This was a few years ago.

Check out cottage industry gear as well. Henry Shires makes excellent tarp tents. ULA makes excellent packs. You can make your own alcohol stove.

Anything cheap and synthetic is good for clothes. Spend money on good wicking socks. A good rule of thumb is three pairs of socks, one on, one drying, and one pair for camp that never get hiked in. That way you'll always have a dry pair to change into.

And I second no cotton. It doesn't dry very fast once it's wet and in the worst case scenario, can quicken or even cause hypothermia.

Hiking alone, good idea. You'll meet up with people on the trail that hike your speed and naturally find partners that way.

I've always hiked in boots, and if you're hiking in PA, from what I hear, boots may be preferred with all those rocks. You want a good stiff sole on rocks. Check the sole by gripping the toe with one hand and the heel with the other and twist it. If it twists easily, there may not be enough support in the sole to cushion those rocks.

Hope this helps

leaftye
01-19-2011, 19:26
3a Clothing? I like the Salvation Army for wool sweaters, wind breakers, shoes (sometimes) and hats.

I hate you people that find good stuff at those places. The best thing I found was a silkweight top. I've only seen one wool sweater, and it was several sizes too small and was in poor shape.

If you're new, don't buy gear.

I would say to buy used gear. There's a lot of really good used gear available.

Slosteppin
01-19-2011, 21:05

The best way to get started is to start hiking. In PA you can't be very far from a trail. I suggest that when the snow is mostly gone put on your most comfortable shoes and go for a walk on a trail in the woods. That was the way my sons and I started. If you don't enjoy a day hike you will NOT enjoy backpacking.
If you enjoy the day hikes then, as others have suggested, go to REI and rent what they (ask if they backpack) suggest you need for an overnight hike.
List and weigh everything you take. I suggest camping less than two hours walk from your vehicle.

Everything about backpacking is about personal choice and compromise. I prefer to sleep in a hammock but I usually take a tent. My tent is lighter and warmer and I have room to keep all my gear inside with me.

My first backpack weighed 8 pounds and I carried about 75 lb starting my first 2 week hike about 32 years ago. I now own five backpacks and the one I use most weighs just over 2 lb. My last 8 day hike I started with 32 lb.

Most hikers say don't take anything cotton. I say you can have just as much fun wearing blue jeans and a cotton shirt - if the weather is good. I always carry 3 cotton bandanas. I don't wear anything cotton except sometimes a hat.
I've worn waterproof trail running shoes for over 15 years for backpacking. That includes trails in ME, NH, NY, PA, FL, MI, WI, and MN.

The best way to learn what you need is to go and do it - in good weather first. The cheap way is to rent gear the first few times overnight.

JawsThemeSwimming428
01-24-2011, 00:57
Thanks for all the replies they were all very helpful. I think I'm slowly getting a better idea of what I need to do to prepare for my hike. I'm sure I'll have more questions, thanks again!

Boothill
01-24-2011, 01:17
as far as hammock or tent, the hammock forums can pry answer almost any question you would have about hammocking

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/?

plus there is lots of info there too on your other questions

boot

Trailweaver
01-24-2011, 01:47
If you feel insecure about hiking alone the first few times out, find someone else with experience who will go with you and show you some things. I've done this with several friends now, and they've enjoyed the trips, and I've enjoyed teaching someone something they never did before.

I think one of the most common mistakes is taking too heavy a pack the first few times out . . . too much food is common (and I confess, I'm the worst at this!), so plan your meals carefully. Also common is taking too many "comfort" things - stuff you think you might "need" or want "in case of emergency" but really don't have to have. As you get more used to hiking, you'll fine tune your pack and be able to leave more stuff at home.

Like others have said, the best way to find out is to just go do it. First time out, make it a short, easy trip, and that way if you get out there and you've left something at home that you "desperately" need, you only have to suffer one night or two before you have it again. If you've taken a 50 lb. pack, you will know what to leave at home next trip. The more you go, the easier it will become. It helps to make a list of everything in your pack so that you have it for the next trip - what to leave out, and what to add to it.

Marta
01-24-2011, 07:39
Going solo is a really good way to begin because it forces you to deal with everything on your own. If you develop a habit of depending on other people to deal with problems you've created for yourself...you just won't be heading in the right direction.

Going solo also allows you time to think. Bring a little notebook so you can jot down ideas for future trips--gear, food, places to go...

Make a packing list, in spreadsheet form, with spaces to check things off. You can find packing lists online and in books. Go down the list and make sure you have everything.

For your first overnighter, pick a really easy place (like a state park backcountry campsite), and nice weather. If that trip goes well, increase distance, difficulty, and remoteness the next time.

lori
01-24-2011, 10:55
As usual, my experience differs. I have always been warmer in a hammock than in a tent. I use my hammock down to 20F. Not below that yet... but it is not so hard as people think it is. (I will likely never be a sub 0 hammocker.) I carry the same weight as someone with a 3 lb tent, pad, and 20 F sleeping bag. It's just proportionally different - a top quilt and underquilt will be lighter weight as a good insulated pad and a 20F sleeping bag, the hammock and tarp will even it out some, depends on the tarp, I like a little more coverage where I go.

Sometimes I use the hammock with a NeoAir and torso length foam pad, since some trips will be above treeline part of the week. This gives me a great deal of flexibility that tenters don't have.

Do not use a tent based on its warmth - a tent will create a microclimate inside, to be sure, but just a few degrees warmer than outside, and it also collects condensation, especially if you pitch on grass. The tent should be adequately ventilated, which decreases the warmth. Depend on an accurately rated bag or quilt for your warmth, and your clothing. Far more foolproof that way.

I have a collection of shelters for a variety of environments - I use what's appropriate for where I am going. My hammock is for any trip where there's trees and the likelihood of rain, as I'm off the ground and DRY that way. The tarp goes up first, everything else comes out under the tarp. Nonfreestanding tarp tent or just a tarp for trips where I know I will not be able to hammock for one reason or another (sometimes it's just against the rules in that jurisdiction, sometimes there are no trees and I don't want to fuss with trying to hang in rocks as others will). I have a semi-freestanding 3 season tent to take on a trip where I will likely be on the open sand part of the time.

As for going solo or with people... check out meetup.com and local hiking groups. One of the best ways to learn about hiking is to watch what others take and decide what will work for you.

If you go solo, decrease the risks by knowing how to navigate with a compass and map (DO NOT rely on a GPS, you will be able to use it to its full potential only if you can first read a topo map anyway), always leaving information with someone trustworthy who will call if you are not back on time, and knowing some basic survival techniques, like how to build a fire.

Try out all your gear in the back yard, then on a simple overnight - sometimes I take gear dayhiking, load up the pack for an overnight and go out a few miles, set it up, take it down, hike back.

Odd Man Out
01-24-2011, 11:25
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Start out be learning enough to stay alive (how to cook, purify water, stay dry and warm, navigate). The rest will come with experience. There are lots and lots of packing lists, but they will all be a bit different (because each individual has different needs and wants). Look them over and see what they have in common. That will be the core essentials. You can fill in the details later when you know your needs and wants. Keep it simple. Don't worry about "getting it right the first time". This is no right or wrong (OK, there are some "wrongs"). Learn the "Leave no trace" principles too. Again, there will huge variation on how to implement LNT, but understanding the principles will keep you out of too much trouble.

Spokes
01-24-2011, 13:28
Tents/Hammocks? Apples and oranges IMO. Your choice but always think about weights.

Packs? ULA, Osprey, Granite Gear are popular choices for the AT. Find a good outfitter and start trying them on (weighted!). Check out this basic backpack fitting video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLCM_3RjuA). Don't forget to properly measure your torso too!

Hiking Clothing? You can't go wrong using the Mountain Crossings Method (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) as far as gear goes (ignore the pop-up). The list will give you a 19 lb. base weight cold weather pack that you can adjust for summer. It's tried and true.

Hiking alone? Despite what the people in the "paranoid personality disorder" group would have you believe it is safe to hike the AT. Sure you still need to trust your gut. I suspect you've done that all your life anyway.........

The biggest thing first timers forget? To think in ounces instead of pounds. You'll understand this concept better after the first couple of days.

Cheers!

StormBird
01-24-2011, 14:46
wow! This is alot of questions for one thread. Well, you are a step closer by just checking out White Blaze. I would suggest reading through AT journals on www.Trailjournals.com to get a feel for gear. Alot people (like me) listed all of their gear choices on the tab to the left of their journal. This usually includeds the brand, make, price and weight. It's a good way to get started. This way you can get a feel for how much each item should weigh, what types of clothing people are purchasing, about how much some of these items cost. Take a look sometime and then come back here for more generalized answers.

Good luck and Happy trails!:sun

fredmugs
01-24-2011, 14:48
Answers to 1 through 4: It depends. Nobody knows you and you're asking questions that are more or less personal preference. I prefer a hammock to keep the weight off of my back and hips while sleeping. I believe the FIT of your backpack is more important than anything else (same with footwear).

Biggest lesson I learned from my first mutili-day hiking trip: bring camp shoes and preferable some that you don't mind getting wet like flip-flops, crocs, etc. Not only are they great for airing out your feet out at the end of a day but if you want to take a break next to a stream it feels great to just stick your feet right in there.

First time I hiked in PA my feet blistered horribly - bring plenty of foot first aid gear like molesskin, corn cushions, duct tape, something to pop blisters with, disinfectant or antibiotic cream, scissors, etc.

Panzer1
01-24-2011, 14:58
CAMPMOR.COM has everything you need

Panzer

JaxHiker
01-24-2011, 15:13
:welcome
1b) Cold weather - tent. Hammocks need insulation all around, which means that you need to buy expensive underquilts or carry bulky foam pads. Tents provide dead air space in a cold wind and some room to get dressed out of the wind. You will, however, have to carry an insulated pad. There are exceptions to these rules, of course.

I'm exceptional. :p This past weekend the temp hit 25.5 (pretty cold for FL standards) and I didn't have any problems. I don't have an expensive underquilt or bulky foam pad. Just how well did I sleep? Well enough that I annoyed the bears with my snoring. :cool:

I've layed in a few different hammocks other folks have set up and I instantly fell in love with the Warbonnet. I hiked a few days with a guy that was testing the prototype. This was a few years ago.
Everyone swears how good the WB is. I laid in one this weekend and it was ok but not enough to get into the cult mentality about it. As with most hammocks it has its good and bad points. I also tried out a Switchback (http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse-5/switchback-hammock-hiking-gear/Detail.bok) and the consensus of several of us is that it's much more comfortable than either the WB or the Hennessy.

Tents/Hammocks? Apples and oranges IMO. Your choice but always think about weights.
I think people get too hung up on weight when it comes to shelter. For me and a lot of others a hammock isn't always about weight. It's also about comfort and as Lori said flexibility. Many people that try it attest that it's more enjoyable than laying on a foam pad or air mattress (especially those with back problems) and I've certainly been in areas where finding a suitable tent site was difficult at best if not impossible.

sbhikes
01-24-2011, 16:17
Read the article in the articles section on how to dirtbag like a professional. That's the best getting started thing I have ever read.

Spirit Walker
01-24-2011, 16:32
I agree with the person above who recommended starting with day hikes before you try backpacking. If you don't enjoy dayhikes, you won't enjoy backpacking. It will also give you a chance to break in your body and your feet to whichever shoes you use.

As others have said, tent vs. hammock is personal preference. I like a tent, but then I share it with my husband, which I couldn't do with a hammock. I sleep just fine on the ground.

When you're ready, gear should be purchased with an eye toward weight. A solo hiker can get by with a shelter and pack that each weight less than three pounds, though you probably won't find that kind of gear at REI. I concur about not buying your pack until you have your other gear. But again, make sure you like hiking first. Rent or borrow some gear if you can to see what backpacking is like. You don't need a lot to start out: shelter, sleeping bag and pad, water carriers (I use gatorade bottles), food (you can start out eating cold), a small first aid kit, rain gear and something warm to wear in camp. For weight reasons we switched to an alcohol stove. You can either make one or buy one fairly cheaply. They burn HEET, easily available at any auto parts store. In PA, be very careful not to light your stove on a bed of leaves - you don't want to start a fire. Clear the ground underneath if you're not at a shelter area.

Clothes are kind of a non-issue. You can wear what you have, as long as there are no pieces that will get in the way of the pack. I hiked in cotton in years past, now I mostly hike in nylon. It dries much faster and is usually lighter. Shorts and a t-shirt work great in summer. Shoes depend on your feet - I like running shoes, but my husband can't tolerate them. They hurt his feet after a couple of miles. He wears mid-weight boots (Lowas).

As to solo vs. group: I started as a solo hiker. Thruhiked the AT as a solo hiker. It has risks, but not much on the AT. In PA, you won't be alone on the trail, unless you are camping in winter. There are a lot of scout and school groups on the AT, as well as individuals. If something goes seriously wrong, there is usually somebody on the trail within a short while.