PDA

View Full Version : Which length sleeping bag?

Mountain Wildman
01-19-2011, 19:52
So I am about to order a Western Mountaineering Ponderosa, I just cannot decide whether to order the 6' 0" or 6' 6" length.
I am 5' 11" so I could go with either, The 6' 6" is only 2 ounces heavier so that's not a big deal. What did those of you faced with the same decision do and are you happy with your choice?

Pioneer Spirit
01-19-2011, 19:59
So I am about to order a Western Mountaineering Ponderosa, I just cannot decide whether to order the 6' 0" or 6' 6" length.
I am 5' 11" so I could go with either, The 6' 6" is only 2 ounces heavier so that's not a big deal. What did those of you faced with the same decision do and are you happy with your choice?

Western Mountaineering Ponderosa

When room and lots of it is the issue, then get into something with 67” of shoulder girth and 48” wide inches at the foot. For sheer comfort our Ponderosa is the bag for big folks and claustrophobes alike. This large volume semi-rectangular bag has 7” of loft from 27 ounces of 850+ fill power down. And in spite of its size weighs in at only 2 lbs. 9 oz. Depending on your size you can enjoy this bag down to 15°. The Ponderosa will zip to our mummy bags, and if the nights are really mild, unzip the bag around the foot and mate it to our Summer Coupler. Now you can roll across a couple of time zones without leaving your bag! This bag is also available in 7’ length. Solidly built by Western Mountaineering.

That bag is actually 4 feet wide at the foot?

Half Note
01-19-2011, 19:59
...is only 2 ounces heavier so that's not a big deal.
Seems like that's opening up a can of worms on this site :)

I personally like to maneuver around in my sleeping bag so unless the price is different, I would just go for the larger size.

Mountain Wildman
01-19-2011, 20:08
4 feet is the girth, It's probably 18 inches wide, No one near me has one for me to try.

The 6' 6" is 15 bucks more.

Luddite
01-19-2011, 20:10
I'm 6' 2" which sucks. I don't fit in a 6 foot so I have to get the 6'6" bags that are too long. If I was you I'd get the 6'. You don't want a cold empty space by your feet

Roland
01-19-2011, 20:18
~
If I was you I'd get the 6'. You don't want a cold empty space by your feet

I would do the same, yet many WB members recommend the opposite.

Why would I want to....

Pay more for a longer bag
Carry the additional weight of a longer bag
Have to heat the extra volume of a longer bag
Risk having the extra length brush against condensation on the tent

....when I don't need the extra length?

rockytop7
01-19-2011, 22:06
Go with the shorter, it will def insulate you better! and like they said, you wont be carrying around the extra volume and weight, even if its minimal...

J5man
01-19-2011, 22:12

I have the badger and went with the tall version. I am your height and am a little claustrophobic and the extra space makes it a very comrfortable bag for me. The extra weight is not even a factor.

Toolshed
01-19-2011, 22:59
The extra room is nice to bring clothes or boots into the bag with you to keep them warm and unforzen overnight (Use a plastic ziplock to prevent the moisture from getting tinto your bag. I would go with the extra length simply because I know there will be times I will need it

DapperD
01-19-2011, 23:04
The extra room is nice to bring clothes or boots into the bag with you to keep them warm and unforzen overnight (Use a plastic ziplock to prevent the moisture from getting tinto your bag. I would go with the extra length simply because I know there will be times I will need itI was thinking this also. A lot of people who are out when it is cold do put things in their bag to keep them warm/unfrozen.

Ender
01-19-2011, 23:08
I'm 6' even, so I've always struggled with this as well. If I was 5'10" though I'd for sure go with the 6" bag.

DapperD
01-19-2011, 23:12
Here's a good article on how to choose a sleeping bag for backpacking from REI:http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/sleeping+bag+backpacking.html

fiddlehead
01-19-2011, 23:16
An efficient bag fits you like a glove.
I have an old bag that seems like it was built for my body.
Anything bigger is extra space that your body heat will have to warm up.
Be efficient, and get one that fits.

leaftye
01-19-2011, 23:22
How big is your shelter? Some people have so little extra space under their shelters that a longer sleeping bag would touch the walls, get wet and collapse the down.

Mountain Wildman
01-20-2011, 00:03
How big is your shelter? Some people have so little extra space under their shelters that a longer sleeping bag would touch the walls, get wet and collapse the down.

My shelter is a Gossamer Gear The One, The floor is 26"-42" X 84"
My pad is a large NeoAir 25" X 77"
I have considered that a 6' 6" bag may touch the walls depending on how much it moves during sleeping.

daddytwosticks
01-20-2011, 08:30
I'm 6 foot dead even. Both my WM bags (Alpinlite and Caribou) are the long versions. Very glad I chose the longs. :)

Roland
01-23-2011, 05:15

Which did you order?