PDA

View Full Version : Roanoke to Lynchburge = Amtrak (4 bucks) Coming soon!

Hikerhead
01-19-2011, 20:13
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/274201

Press
01-19-2011, 20:53
Lynchburg is a great place to get on the trail, with the James River Foot Bridge only a half-hour away and numerous other places along the parkway and in Amherst and Nelson counties within an hour.

Cookerhiker
01-19-2011, 20:58
I took AMTRAK to Lynchburg last year for my ill-fated Allegheny Trail hike.

Hikerhead
01-19-2011, 21:01
I took AMTRAK to Lynchburg last year for my ill-fated Allegheny Trail hike.

This will make it a little easier the next time you come. Sorry for my typo.

johnnybgood
01-19-2011, 21:11
Super sweet deal ! That's cheaper than a Tall White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks .

Hikerhead
01-19-2011, 21:14
Super sweet deal ! That's cheaper than a Tall White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks .

Dirt cheap. The Amtrak to DC and back in one day is getting a lot of traffic from Roanoke what I hear. One day we'll get rail service back in this ol' rail town.

FatherTime09
01-20-2011, 16:12
That's great! Thanks for the heads-up!

FatherTime09
01-20-2011, 19:02
Well.. that's what I get for skimming..

BigHodag
01-20-2011, 20:21
Greyhound has been going from Roanoke to Lynchburg at least once a day. Last May I took Greyhound from AR to DC. We left Roanoke about 7 a.m. and arrived at the combined Amtrak/Greyhound station in Lynchburg about 8 a.m.

As an AT hiker I was pleased with the amenities around the Roanoke station although the station and everything is closed at that hour. City buses pull in adjacent to Greyhound in a covered area.

The Lynchburg station is in the older "downtown" area and I was somewhat disappointed at the lack of resupply resources in the area. Getting to the AT from Lynchburg seems much more formidable than from Roanoke.

My Lynchburg Greyhound review:
Greyhound Bus: Lynchburg VA (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/07/greyhound-bus-lynchburg-va.html)

Press
01-20-2011, 23:12
... The Lynchburg station is in the older "downtown" area and I was somewhat disappointed at the lack of resupply resources in the area. Getting to the AT from Lynchburg seems much more formidable than from Roanoke.

Hmmm. Maybe I should start a shuttle service! And there is one hiking store in town. Granted, it's nowhere near the bus/train station.

Hikerhead
01-20-2011, 23:22
... The Lynchburg station is in the older "downtown" area and I was somewhat disappointed at the lack of resupply resources in the area. Getting to the AT from Lynchburg seems much more formidable than from Roanoke.

Hmmm. Maybe I should start a shuttle service! And there is one hiking store in town. Granted, it's nowhere near the bus/train station.

That's a great idea.