PDA

View Full Version : Neck knife

darkage
01-20-2011, 00:01
I'm looking for a good knife that can be worn around the neck, something like what cody lundin uses ...

Any suggestions?

I kinda like that TOPS Knives Shango Neck Knife 2-3/4" Blade, not really looking for a skeletal handle tho ...

lori
01-20-2011, 00:08
I've been eyeballing this one.... know someone who carries it on the shoulder strap of his pack.
http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Back-Double-Edge-Fine/dp/B000Q94LIW

Mountain Wildman
01-20-2011, 00:19
Lundin uses a Mora, It's not a neck knife, He just hangs it there.
Cold Steel makes a good quality affordable neck knife.
Bark River makes a very good quality neck knife but it's not cheap.

MedicineMan
01-20-2011, 00:26
folts minimalist or a razor blade.

crazystick
01-20-2011, 00:53
Boker makes one that my gf just bought
http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/boker/images/BO02BO260blog.jpg

enurdat1
01-20-2011, 02:17
This is my preferance http://www.rei.com/product/786636
Also playing woth this design http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm but using a recip saw blade

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 02:32
I can't stand things around my neck, with that said, I second the mora. It is a better knife than most blades 10x the price.

Roland
01-20-2011, 05:22
I'm looking for a good knife that can be worn around the neck, something like what cody lundin uses ...

Any suggestions?

I kinda like that TOPS Knives Shango Neck Knife 2-3/4" Blade, not really looking for a skeletal handle tho ...

Ask yourself...

Is your knife selection being driven by practicality, or by a certain image you wish to emulate?

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 07:12
Ask yourself...

Is your knife selection being driven by practicality, or by a certain image you wish to emulate?

This is a really good point. Everything is being commercialized nowadays, sell an image. Buy this product and you will be that person, ect. There is a tribe in south america that lives pretty primitively. Their only blade is a 5 inch chunk of broken machete. I have gotten happier as I have gotten rid of more stuff, not bought more.

darkage
01-20-2011, 09:22
Ask yourself...

Not trying too emulate any image, looking for something that can be grabed quickly, something light ... full tang, exactly what i posted ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8T3pXCgcU

This knife, BUT with a different handle or i'd just cord it and without the bells and whistles, i don't need the strike for example ... just a good quality neck knife that keeps an edge and is easily ready for tinder and light camp chores ....

The Cleaner
01-20-2011, 10:44
I've got a Smith&Wesson neck knife w/sheath that is also an emergency whistle.About 30$....

tammons
01-20-2011, 10:58
The becker necker is a good knife.
A bit heavy for me as a neck knife.
About 4.5 oz

The Mora knifes are great, but not a neck knife really.
Better worn on your shoulder strap
About 4.5 oz

A buck hartsook is good for a 2" blade and very light.
That is about how I like neck knives.
Weighs 0.5 oz

henrygale
01-20-2011, 11:43
There's nothing wrong with having preference in your blade. It's also never something you want to have doubts about. I usually carry a 4" blade, because 2" or 3" blades feel more like toys than tools to me. I will also 'third' the Mora. My camping buddy uses one, I'm going to buy one myself. The 4" Military Clipper, it's strong, keeps sharp, and is also still rust/corrosion free. He wears his around his neck too, 550 strung up through a soft belt sheath. I currently carry a 4.25" AUS-8 stainless steel tanto-style blade, full tang, by CRKT.

swjohnsey
01-20-2011, 11:53
Or Gerber LST, under twenty bucks, 1.2 ounces. Get one of the neck thingys that folks use to carry their keys/I.D. with quick disconnect. I can take a moose apart with a 2" blade. This one has 2.6" blade so you could probaly skin an elephant.

zelph
01-20-2011, 14:27
I kinda like that TOPS Knives Shango Neck Knife 2-3/4" Blade, not really looking for a skeletal handle tho ...Get that one and take a photo of it around your neck so we can see how looks.

Good choice.

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 16:43
Or Gerber LST, under twenty bucks, 1.2 ounces. Get one of the neck thingys that folks use to carry their keys/I.D. with quick disconnect. I can take a moose apart with a 2" blade. This one has 2.6" blade so you could probaly skin an elephant.

That is a really good knife, only complaint I had with it was the Torx screws in the handle loosened over time. I put some loctite on it and fixed the problem. I got a victorinox cadet because I gotta have a screwdriver and can opener on my pocketknife, and a bottle opener is a necessity, especially as a college student.

mykl
01-20-2011, 17:29
Ask yourself...

That's the same thing I wonder about people who have to get the latest ounce/gram saving UL thing.
Or the spandex clad guy riding his bicycle around town.

Awol1970
01-20-2011, 17:43
and a bottle opener is a necessity, especially as a college student.

As a college student you should know that the world is your oyster as far a bottle openers are concerned. I bet it been since high school that i popped open a beer with an actual bottle opener.

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 18:24
As a college student you should know that the world is your oyster as far a bottle openers are concerned. I bet it been since high school that i popped open a beer with an actual bottle opener.

Yeah, but the bottle opener is much easier than using a bic or table edge. I also like having a can opener on my pocketknife in case I become homeless and have to live on the AT.

The Cleaner
01-20-2011, 19:21
Mine is at amaz.com...16.75$...it's the Smith&Wesson SW990 Neck Knife... with Zytel sheath&rescue whistle..about 4oz...

STICK
01-20-2011, 23:59
I will fourth (?) The Moras. Quality blade and very inexpensive. My classic Mora weighs 2.6 oz in its sheath and has a full length tang. The Clipper weighs 3 oz in its sheath but only has a half length tang.

TheYoungOne
01-21-2011, 16:35
If you are looking for a solid neck knife get the Ka-bar/Becker Necker.

If you are looking for lightweight get the CRKT Minimalist.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2011, 16:53
Roland's question was a fair one, especially considering Mr. Lundin's promoted image:

www.societyforbarefootliving.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/lundin01.gif

I'd probably go for a different knife and more clothes but maybe that's just me.

darkage
01-23-2011, 01:13
Yes it was, and i should of known better than too include his name in the question of a good neck knife ... the fact is i've used a flip blade for years and everytime i'm out i wish i had a good knife that i could wear around the camp on my neck ....

With that said, i'm highly considering grabing the becker necker ... still looking around at the options everyone has suggested ...

Thanks again.

MedicineMan
01-23-2011, 02:25
Tell us Jack which knife(s) you've carried over the years???
I still say a thru-hiker or section hiker will use a knife to open their dehydrated dinner and thats probably it or maybe cut some duct tape. If I were to bet, most thru's are going to think about that 4-6 ounces and by Fontana have shipped them home.

Gipsy
01-23-2011, 02:32
Stick with the mora! For the price vs quality you just cant beat it. They are also very light weight.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2011, 16:57
Medicine Man:

Since you asked....

I've always caried too much knife, but it's not as bad as when I started out years ago, when I had a big Gerber on a hip sheath that was kind of scary.

These days I carry a Leek 1600 from Kershaw with a 3 inch blade; it weighs about 4 0z. It's bigger and heavier than I need but I like to cook and it's nice to have a real knife when you're making dinner, especially a meal that involves lots of chopping.

I also carry a Wilkinson razor blade in a cardboard sheath which comes in very handy for medical stuff.....digging out splinters, sawing off dead skin, lancing blisters, etc. It'll do stuff you might not want to do with your pocket knife and it weighs virtually nothing.

Most folks carry too much knife......basically you need a blade to cut pepperoni or hard sausage; to slice bagels or hard cheese; to occasionally cut a piece of rope or parachute cord; and that's about it. On rare occasion, you may need to whittle a stick into a tent stake or something like that, but most folks can get by with something really simple. The thing I carry now is bigger and heavier than I probably need but I'm used to it and am too cheap to replace it; on the A.T. any pocketknife more than five or six inches long isn't a knife; it's a statement. But what you carry is all personal preference.

Last note: I carried a Swiss Army Knife for awhile, and on those very occasions that I actually found myself needing a saw blade, Philipps screwdriver, or rasping file, it sure came in handy. On the other 177 days of my trip tho, 95% of the stuff on that knife never got used, which, I suspect is true of everyone who carries anything more than the smallest S.A. knife.

darkage
01-24-2011, 20:24
Wonder why no one's suggested the esee izula ...

Mountain Wildman
01-24-2011, 20:46
Wonder why no one's suggested the esee izula ...

Your original post indicated that you were not interested in skeletel handles.
Esee make a good knife, I have the Esee 5, Serious knife but way too heavy to hike with.

darkage
01-24-2011, 21:31
doh, you're right .... i did! .... i've since noticed you can get custom micarta handles for them so i've opened up my options to them.

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 23:54
the shoulder. not the neck. twice as fast.

darkage
02-03-2011, 21:33
Went with the BK11 ... Here's a few pics ... nothing special ... ordered hunter orange paracord to wrap it with ... this black wrap is only till the order comes in ... :banana

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/1/8/5/img_1984_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=45236&c=newimages&cutoffdate=14)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/1/8/5/img_1975_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=45231&c=newimages&cutoffdate=14)
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/1/8/5/img_1980_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=45233&c=newimages&cutoffdate=14)

golfer
02-03-2011, 22:24
An original design by Master Knife Maker & Designer Newt Livesay

NRGSTM

NRGS "STEEL" neck knife

FREE BELT CLIP ASSEMBLY
AND 2 RUBBER SLEEVES
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE
*TOP PHOTOS COURT ICY SWISSBCO* *
MODEL 702
****************** Blade Steel

1095 High Carbon MSRP *Still only $45.00 (CORD WRAPPED)
Knife Design Drop Point Utility
****************** Specialty

Triple Drawn, DeepCryo-Quenched TM * SINCE 1990
OAL Length *7.3/4* inches
****************** Handle Material

Cord-Wrapped standard* Others optional *
* Handle material for NRGS knives
Blade Length .3.3/8* inches
*********** Handle Design

*** Livesay Designed #2
Blade Grind Flat-Convex *******Sheathing Material *** Mil-Spec KYDEX Standard
Blade Thickness .125 inches (1/8") *******Sheath Design **** KYDEX: Livesay Snap-Loc tm Neck Sheath

THE NRGS COMES WITH TWO NEW INNER TUBE SLEEVES TO HELP YOU SET UP YOU PERSONAL EDC SYSTEM.* AN OPTIONAL 10 WAY BELT CLIP ASSEMBLY IS ATTACHED FOR RIGHT / LEFT / REVERSE / HORIZONTAL / UPSIDE DOWN / BLADE FORWARD OR REAR, AND A LENGTH OF PARACHUTE SUSPENSION LINE FOR NECK CARRY.*

THE NRGS IS AN ORIGINAL KNIFE DESIGN BY NEWT LIVESAY.* IT HAS BEEN THE INSPIRATION FOR NUMEROUS OTHER MAKERS KNIVES.* RIPPED OFF BUT NEVER COMPROMISED.* THIS IS AN ORIGINAL KNIFE THAT WAS MADE, DIFFERENTIALLY HEAT TREATED, QUENCHED, AND CRYO-TREATED BY NEWT LIVESAY.* WE DON'T FARM OUT OUR HEAT TREATING TO A SHOP THAT PAYS MINIMUM WAGES FOR FURNACE WORKERS.** WE DO OUR OWN HEAT TREATING AND STRIVE FOR THE MAXIMUM HARDNESS FOR SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE.*****

*** The Model 702, NRGS Steel knife is an offshoot of the highly popular NRG non-magnetic fiber knife.* The NRG was written up some years ago by the leading magazine on undercover covert knives as the most* "innovating design to come along in years." The NRGS was just a natural and the first steel knife was born.* The name "NRG" is the name of a "trance band" who played some of the greatest trance ever laid down.*******

.**

“A STEP UP ON ABSOLUTE PERFECTION TM ”

Livesay Knives are Tuff'r Woodpecker Lips TM

SPECIFICATION PAGE

Hey you know it and I know it down deep you would rather have a LivesayŌ

TOP of Page**I** HOME* I * MORE NECK KNIVES* I** CONTACT* I* BACK ORDER INQUIRY*
Site and all contents © 2007 PAR, Inc. *

golfer
02-03-2011, 22:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BwUydd2JKo&sns=em

This is what I got and made the set up the same.

Zeno Marx
02-03-2011, 23:55
That's the same thing I wonder about people who have to get the latest ounce/gram saving UL thing.I hadn't caught onto the power of suggestion within the UL era until just last night when I was watching a review of the ULA Catalyst. The equipment list reminded me of a "be an instant ultra-lighter and buy this kit" infommercial. Chasing an interesting dragon there, fella.

mweinstone
02-04-2011, 09:48
you do all know what happens to a man if a neck knife comes out of its sheth and falls down your pants right? shoulder carry. had an undecended testical at 9. only one spare left.

Hikes in Rain
02-04-2011, 11:29
At the risk of hijacking the thread (and enduring a little humiliation!), why a neck knife vs. pocket, belt, pack strap, or whatever? Seems to my unitiated mind that it'd get in the way, be a little heavy, bounce around, etc. I remember way back when I first read Kipling's Jungle Tales, that Mowgli wore his knife around his neck, and thinking the same thing. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

OhCanada
02-04-2011, 12:35
Lundin uses a Mora, It's not a neck knife, He just hangs it there.

I beg to differ. Before all the Tacti-fools started getting into neck knives the Natives in our area wore their stone knives (and later on steel) in a neck sheath with the handle pointing up just like Cody.

Mors wears his Mora in the same way and you can see how handy it is for him in his stick DVD.

The modern handle down design is one of the most dangerous for re-sheathing the knife after use.

mister krabs
02-04-2011, 13:24
I like this one, you can wear it either up or down and it has a bottle opener.
http://www.crkt.com/Dogfish

darkage
02-04-2011, 15:17
At the risk of hijacking the thread (and enduring a little humiliation!), why a neck knife vs. pocket, belt, pack strap, or whatever? Seems to my unitiated mind that it'd get in the way, be a little heavy, bounce around, etc. I remember way back when I first read Kipling's Jungle Tales, that Mowgli wore his knife around his neck, and thinking the same thing. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Personal Choice ....

AUhiker90
02-04-2011, 16:24
for me all i used my knife for is cutting a summer sausage up or opening a package. A simple razor blade or swiss army classic is all you may need your spork will spread the nutella. You may also want a way to open up a beer bottle..

Hikes in Rain
02-04-2011, 16:36
Personal Choice ....

Not quite what I was expecting, but can't argue with that! :)

Zeno Marx
02-04-2011, 20:49
for me all i used my knife for is cutting a summer sausage up or opening a package. A simple razor blade or swiss army classic is all you may need your spork will spread the nutella. You may also want a way to open up a beer bottle..I feel a knife (a good model that doesn't potentially add to the situation) is an emergency item; and a very important one at that. An insurance item. A matter of better safety. A SA Classic or razor blade can surely suffice for the more common, "use it because I got it" tasks. Like most things involving safety precautions, it all depends on how much you want to gamble in the situation. Not anyone else's business.

Wise Old Owl
02-04-2011, 21:20
by far the strangest thread about a bear footed hippie...I liked Dual Survival...

http://codylundin.com/

golfer
02-05-2011, 10:51
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TYREYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TYREYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TYREYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TYREYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.pngwww.newtlivesayknives.com
this guy is a retired special forces soldier and in his 60's . He makes great neck knives as well as other knives. but he makes some knives out of titanium and all hikers are looking for is lower weight.

icemanat95
02-05-2011, 21:27
I'm a Becker Necker fan as well. But for hiking,I really like a swiss army knife with a small pair of scissors for cutting moleskin, first aid tape, etc. The other great thing about proper swiss army knives (not the cheap copies) is good steel and an easily honed blade profile.

Neck carry is not convenient under a T-shirt. Too difficult to get to. I used paracord on my Becker to set up belt carry on the sheath. I can carry horizontal or vertical. Or strap it to a pack strap or waistbelt. Again, good steel, holds an edge well, pretty readily honed. The blade is sturdy and can put up with some prying and rough and dirty gouge work as well.

My daily carry knife is a Zero Tolerance ZT301. Damned nice knife, tough as can be for a folder, but rather huge. A good choice for a pocket machete (which is a sort of job requirement for me.) It's also damned expensive, American made and guaranteed for life. NOT a hiker's knife. It's a cops knife or a soldier's or a forester/arborists knife.

cabbagehead
02-10-2013, 13:11
BUCK 151 KAALA MAYO

I came across this when I was doing a little research on stainless steel alloys. It's made of S30V (a fairly high end, high alloy stainless steel).

Indiana Camper
02-18-2013, 18:25
Check out ESEE Izula. Great knives and an awesome warranty.

SassyWindsor
02-18-2013, 20:18
If you get a "Red" neck knife be ready for a little jazzing.

Del Q
02-18-2013, 20:48
Cody is cool. I just do not see having anything hanging around my neck while backpacking. A few years ago my mother in law got me a subscription to National Geographic, and with it came a knife in a yellow caribiner. Light, works great, good grip, hangs on the outside of the pack - easy access. Also carry a single edge razor blade.

Combo works great..........have not needed the razor blade, yet.

Del Q
02-18-2013, 20:54
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kershaw-Mini-Biner-Carabiner-Knife-w-Anodized-Aluminum-/310336538456

This would be hard to beat, gets the job done, cheap, Kershaw!

Buy 3 at this price and give away a few as gifts............

TOW
02-19-2013, 00:19

Any suggestions?

I kinda like that TOPS Knives Shango Neck Knife 2-3/4" Blade, not really looking for a skeletal handle tho ...CRKT or Gerber makes excellent neck knives

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2013, 00:27
I guess I am not ready for a neck knife, I prefer something on the hip or connected to the pack with a clip or just in my pocket... I am a nice guy (I hope you agree) and I do not want folks to see or focus on something I have around my neck... I'm just not ready for that. just my opinion.

Downhill Trucker
02-19-2013, 09:32
ESEE Izula 2. If your hands aren't huge then Izula. ESEE is just great for the price.

mark jer
02-19-2013, 12:35
Cody uses a mora I have upgraded to a Crawford staff