PDA

View Full Version : Getting Serious

Graywolf
01-20-2011, 03:32
Just found out a very dear friend passed away this morning. Its another testament that Time Waits for No Man.

While I took time in quiet thoughts, it occured to me I too am getting no younger. So itis time to pull out those maps and get this hike started. This has made me realize that your life is only as long as Time will allow. So now, Hike I must..

Before I cant....

2012...here I come.. Appalachian Bound...

Snoring Sarge
01-20-2011, 04:19
You can get more of everything except days

Chubbs4U
01-20-2011, 04:54
I wish you luck. I am kind of in the same boat and need to get hiking myself. This site is great and I hope to see you on the trail soon enough.

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-20-2011, 07:30
So sorry that you have lost a dear friend... they are also hard to come by.

bigcranky
01-20-2011, 09:05
I'm sorry for your loss. My best friend and hiking partner has been gone five years now. Watching his young son grow up has been bittersweet in so many ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKthSbpnjYU&playnext=1&list=PL93B19BE6B5FB9606&index=1

skooch
01-20-2011, 09:57
yes turning 50 this weekend is the big motivator for me. do all you can before you can't. see ya out there!

Graywolf
01-20-2011, 19:49
Thank you everyone for your kind words and sympathy.

I have been putting this off for many years, waiting for the "best" time to go. I have been munching on this since my section hike in 2009. I keep saying and have talked with friends that just maybe 2012 will be the year. After this has happened, I have decided, "Yes, 2012 is diffently the year".

There will never be a better time. There never is, and I ma losing time for each year, each day I put it off.

My maps are strung out all over my bed room, My spreadsheet is opened back up, my 2 backpacks are sitting in their respective chairs next to the table full of gear, old and new. yes, Im getting this together.

There is no "Best" time. The Time is now..

Rain Man
01-20-2011, 19:55
Have a great hike! I've lost a brother and just had an aunt pass on yesterday and have lost friends as have my daughters. Just found out last night a hiking buddy's teenage son is in ICU at the hospital. Diagnosis today is cancer. All this does put things into a whole new perspective. Do your hiking while you can. And don't sweat the small stuff.

Rain Man

DapperD
01-20-2011, 22:19
Just found out a very dear friend passed away this morning. Its another testament that Time Waits for No Man.

While I took time in quiet thoughts, it occured to me I too am getting no younger. So itis time to pull out those maps and get this hike started. This has made me realize that your life is only as long as Time will allow. So now, Hike I must..

Before I cant....

2012...here I come.. Appalachian Bound...It's funny the older we get, the faster the time seems to go. I know also of many different people who have passed and are no longer around. Many were unfortunately young, not old. There are no guarantees in life. I think everyone has to try to remind themselves that every day is a new day and we all need to try to enjoy everyday as it could very well be our last. If the oportunity presents itself for you to be able to do your hike and you are able, then do it. Don't put it off. Everyday is another day in which any of our lives could take a turn for the worst, and then things are changed forever. If you are able to do your dream, then do it:sun

atraildreamer
01-22-2011, 16:52
Dreamed that I had passed away and went to the Pearly Gates. Met an angel there who handed me a pack, pointed to a trail and said "Enjoy". :)

My condolences on your loss.

Distilled
01-23-2011, 20:28
My sympathies. The silver lining in this is the perspective you have gained. I wish you luck with hiking it in 2012.