http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91301

anyone use it?
opinions?
coments?
other options for 0° w/tarp?

KK&K

leaftye
01-20-2011, 09:16
Any thick mattress could create clearance problems with the sloped walls of your tarp.

Kookabay makes custom down air mattresses. You can get a mattress that is both lighter and warmer for the same size. I believe they are more expensive though.

The Pacific Outdoor Equipment Hyper Elite is just as warm....oh hell, I just checked and it looks like they don't make that pad this year. If you can find it used, it will be a lot less expensive, less heavy, but I'm sure it's also much less comfortable. I like mine well enough though.

kayak karl
01-20-2011, 10:06
Any thick mattress could create clearance problems with the sloped walls of your tarp.

Kookabay makes custom down air mattresses. You can get a mattress that is both lighter and warmer for the same size. I believe they are more expensive though.

The Pacific Outdoor Equipment Hyper Elite is just as warm....oh hell, I just checked and it looks like they don't make that pad this year. If you can find it used, it will be a lot less expensive, less heavy, but I'm sure it's also much less comfortable. I like mine well enough though.

thanks for the advice. expected more posts? if i asked for advice on desk chairs id get more posts. what do you think leaftye:D

Rain Man
01-20-2011, 11:06
I have an older model ExPed SIM Light CF 7 foam air mattress. It's GREAT in cold weather, even up in the air in my hammock. Too bulky and heavy for use otherwise, but I expect to carry more weight for winter time hiking. It goes unused most of the year, but when I need it, I'm sure glad to have it. It's warm and comfortable.

Rain:sunMan

P.S. Had to correct that it's foam, not down. My bad.

fredmugs
01-20-2011, 13:43
just wanted to point out i saw this on another website for $129.

Hoop
01-20-2011, 14:17
39.5 oz is pretty heavy.

jeremesh
01-20-2011, 17:27
I use the exped synmat 7 dlx and love it. Yep, it's heavy but man is it warm and comfy.

nox
01-20-2011, 17:42
I have the regular width, not the deluxe. That thing is toasty warm and the most comfortable pad I have every slept on. I find myself grabbing the Exped even if I don't need the extra warmth because I sleep better on it than any other pad I own. It is definitely worth the money. Go for it!

nox
01-20-2011, 17:46
I should add that the first few times you pump it up it might seem like a hassle. Takes about a minute or 2... After you sleep on it you will realize it is worth it. Packing it away is quicker than most breath inflatables because it has a big plug not the tiny breather valve.

jeremesh
01-20-2011, 17:51
I should add that the first few times you pump it up it might seem like a hassle. Takes about a minute or 2... After you sleep on it you will realize it is worth it. Packing it away is quicker than most breath inflatables because it has a big plug not the tiny breather valve.

Yeah, takes a little practice to get that pumping part down but I can do it now on my leg while sitting in the hammock so I dont have to put it on the ground.

Northern Lights
01-20-2011, 20:26
I'm ordering this mat, we get a discount thru work of 15%. I've only heard great things about it.

Tinker
01-20-2011, 23:31
These folks have been making down air mattresses by hand in the USA since the 1960s.
www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com). I had one. Durable, but, like other inflatables, once you lose your air you lose not only your comfort but your insulation.
When I use a tent I either use closed cell foam (Ridgerest or blue foam) or a Big Agnes Mummy air mattress with the blue foam on top in cold weather. Cushy with a built-in backup if the air mat goes flat.