PDA

View Full Version : hiking the trail in New England

nemike
01-20-2011, 12:10
Is March to early to start on the Conn.NY border? What is the average time for the whole N E hike? Are hikers more successful when hiking solo? unemployed carpenter with cabin fever needs coaching, thanks

Cookerhiker
01-20-2011, 13:13
March 1? March 31? St. Patrick's Day?

I hiked a stretch in CT once in January. The nights (only 2 of them) were probably in the 20s, not too bad. But that was just me, one time.

Early March, you could still have some measurable snow. Any time in March you could have cold nights & freezing rain. I don't think the nightime temps would be single digits but the locals can correct me if I'm wrong.

You could also have nice sunny days too. But even on those nice sunny days, expect some icy trail surface in those parts that don't receive much sun exposure. I hiked Massachusetts in the 3rd week in April one year and enjoyed the spectacle of solid ice blocks in Sages Ravine (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=94199) on a sunny 80 degree day.

If you're itching - and it sounds like you are - I'd say go for it as long as you have adequate gear i.e. warm sleeping bag and and keep things dry.

Old Grouse
01-20-2011, 13:38
To add to Cookerhiker's response, snow cover really varies from year to year here in Connecticut. Often you will find snow on the western sides of hills in the Housatonic Valley even when the eastern sides are snow free. That said, by March the areas of deep snow will be few and manageable. If things are really bad, you can probably find out about that easily enough in Leominster.

Driver8
01-20-2011, 17:07
One thing, for sure, you'd want to listen to fellow hikers re: conditions on the following spots, which can be especially treacherous in icy conditions:

* Lion's Head from the south via AT - there is a bad weather bypass, and you can come back up to the summit from the north to check out the overlook, also descending or ascending the northernmost part is tricky with any kind of ice on the trail
* North face of Bear Mtn, ascending or descending. Paradise Lane Trail was built as a bad-weather bypass. You could ascend from the south, take in the views, descent from same direction, then go to Paradise Lane via Undermtn, or Bear Mtn Road to Old Northwest Road (near the CT AMC cabin) then eastward to rejoin AT
* Race Mtn is very dangerous along the cliffs, but I expect it would be reasonably safe so long as you stay away from the precipice and/or use crampons
* Mt Everett south face is steep and difficult in great weather, probably quite difficult in icy/wintry conditions
* Jug End descent is notoriously tricky and teacherous

That's just the southern Taconics. You just want to keep your ears open to reports from fellow hikers - you can get a lot of good field reports here, too.

Cheers, and happy hiking. We also have a "New England" thread from which we're arranging hiking meet-ups, several of us. Feel free to join in, and welcome!

-Chris/Driver 8

Driver8
01-20-2011, 17:18
As to your other questions - time of trip, etc. - depends on your experience, conditioning, equipment, etc. 2 1/2 months, plus or minus, would be a fair estimate for an experienced hiker. Check out some more threads here, plus journals at trailjournals.com. You've got some homework to do, I'd say! :)

OldFeet
01-21-2011, 11:11
How far north are you headed? Even a start in late March would get you to the Mass/VT border pretty early and then you could well be facing snow and/or the start of the mud season in Vermont which can be pretty messy.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2011, 11:48
You'd have to be insane to start a thru hike of New England in March, especially with the amount of snow it looks like we'll be getting this winter. And we can get some pretty nasty slush storms in March. Since you live in western Mass, you should know that!

Better you should head south and start at Springer. At least there you'd have a chance of getting somewhere.

KMACK
01-21-2011, 13:16
Just got another 4/5 inches on top of the 27 inches we got last week, I'd say there will be snow in March.

peakbagger
01-21-2011, 14:16
You also need to factor in the Mud Season Long Trail closure. April 15th to May 30th. The southern section has some real potential wet sections that would really be nasty to do in spring conditions.

Cookerhiker
01-21-2011, 16:06
Is March to early to start on the Conn.NY border? What is the average time for the whole N E hike? Are hikers more successful when hiking solo? unemployed carpenter with cabin fever needs coaching, thanks

You also need to factor in the Mud Season Long Trail closure. April 15th to May 30th. The southern section has some real potential wet sections that would really be nasty to do in spring conditions.

When I first responded, I wasn't considering that you were hiking from CT/NY all the way to ME starting in March but I suppose that's implicit in your question.

So I agree with Peakbagger - the Green Mountain Club officially discourages hiking in VT during Mud Season (through Memorial Day). And a March start also means you'd be hitting the White Mountains very early when you could still encounter winterlike conditions.

Driver8
01-21-2011, 16:29
Since you live in western Mass, you should know that!

For the record, Leominster is in Central Mass, just north of Worcester. Much closer to Monadnock than to Greylock.

Woody48
01-23-2011, 00:35
nemike,

I would expect you will want snowshoes and crampons or microspikes once you get into the northern part of Massachusetts in March, especially around Greylock. Further north in Vermont and NH it is still winter conditions in the higher elevations. As you get into later March and April the snow melt will make some of the water crossings very tricky is not down right dangerous. I've done extensive hiking in Massachusetts and NH in all months of the year. Mud season is my least favorite time to be out. By the way, I also live in Leominster, MA.

Woody48