PDA

View Full Version : hammocks

lowkeywanderer
01-20-2011, 14:59
i was wondering if anyone over 6 foot has used a hammock. The mfg specs say they can but im getting mixed reviews from individuals. im 6'4" 160 so its pretty much a height issue. NOBO thru-hike early april!!!

JaxHiker
01-20-2011, 15:01
I'm 6'1" and a smidge heavier than you ;) and don't have any problem in my Hennessy Explorer Ultralight. I sleep very well. In fact I slept so well on the last hike my buddy said I rocked the whole forest with my snoring. :D

Black Wolf
01-20-2011, 15:02
i was wondering if anyone over 6 foot has used a hammock. The mfg specs say they can but im getting mixed reviews from individuals. im 6'4" 160 so its pretty much a height issue. NOBO thru-hike early april!!!

you can always make your own as well..

Migrating Bird
01-20-2011, 15:04
I would suggest you visit http://www.hammockforums.net HF is one of the most helpful and civil places on the web. Pose your question there.

Old Hiker
01-20-2011, 15:05
6'2" - 200 lbs. Clark Jungle Hammock - middle of the road one from several years ago. No problems, except when I have to get up twice a night. I'm so comfortable, I don't wanna! I do need a small pillow, though.

lowkeywanderer
01-20-2011, 15:06
Thx jax ... the hennessy is the one i have been looking at ... any suggestions for improvments?

kayak karl
01-20-2011, 15:06
im 6-3 and use the ultralite explorer . all others (and i do own them) are to short for me to use. even the WB traveler was too short.
in the winter i use a DIY 11' long.

Boothill
01-20-2011, 15:10
Thx jax ... the hennessy is the one i have been looking at ... any suggestions for improvments?

you may want to check out warbonnet hammocks too

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/

they are very popular with people that do alot of hammocking, especially the blackbird

boot

kayak karl
01-20-2011, 15:16
your only in westville. lol come to this.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20898 we will let you try all the hammocks. about 60 will be there

KK

JaxHiker
01-21-2011, 00:16

I keep thinking about doing the 2Q zipper mod but after a couple of years of thinking about it I still haven't gotten off my duff. That's about it. I'd like to be able to use it as a seat and/or not deal with all the undercovers in cold weather. I think it would be nice to just side-entry into it sometimes.

I knew that buying it, though, and I don't regret it. I didn't care for the stock tarp, though, and am much happier with my Maccat Deluxe. Sure the stock might keep you dry but that's about it. I've been stuck in the rain and it's very nice to have more shelter to cook and hang out under. The stock will only keep you dry inside the hammock which would get old fast.

Oh, and ditch the stock tree lines and use descender rings and straps. ;)