PDA

View Full Version : Serving Sizes Too Small????

Turtle Feet
01-20-2011, 15:36
This has probably been discussed before, but as I'm assembling my drop boxes today, I'm beginning to feel like I'm not planning for enough food!:eek:

OK, so a box of Mac & Cheese isn't a typical single serving meal (at least not for me), but what about on the trail? Is it enough even? Same with the Idahoan instant potatoe packages, or the Knorrs Noodle Side Dishes. I have 3oz packets of Sue Bee Chicken to add to those for dinner, but will that be enough for one meal after a month or so on the trail?

I'd rather get your opinions now and add to my boxes, than find out too late.

What was your typical daily food intake on the trail (not in town)? Did you feel like you would have liked to have more???

turtle feet

sbhikes
01-20-2011, 15:39
I'd say a box of mac-n-cheese with a 3oz or 6oz tuna packet is a single serving for me. 6oz of tuna is a little much in my opinion but sometimes is the only size I could find. I prefer shop along the way to pre-packing boxes for the very question you are asking. How do you know what you will want to eat and how much if you have never done something like this before?

Ender
01-20-2011, 15:42
Frankly, on the trail, once the "hunger" kicks in, nothing is ever enough. Still, a single box of mac & cheese is sufficient for a meal.

And don't worry, you can always buy more food in town.

max patch
01-20-2011, 16:03
I'd rather get your opinions now and add to my boxes, than find out too late.

My opinion is that you should buy in town when you figure out what you want to eat and how much you want to ear. Even using mail drops I guarantee you'll still need to go to the grocery for something.

Having said that if you really want to use drops then yes, I'd say that a box of mac and cheese or a box of lipton pasta or noodle sides - especially with 3 oz of protein added - is generally considered one hiker serving.

Ender
01-20-2011, 16:20
My opinion is that you should buy in town

I agree with this. It'll be cheaper in the end anyway.

Turtle Feet
01-20-2011, 16:22
My opinion is that you should buy in town when you figure out what you want to eat and how much you want to ear. Even using mail drops I guarantee you'll still need to go to the grocery for something.

Having said that if you really want to use drops then yes, I'd say that a box of mac and cheese or a box of lipton pasta or noodle sides - especially with 3 oz of protein added - is generally considered one hiker serving.

Excellent!

Yeah, I need a few boxes for shipping some meds and things along the way. I'm planning the drops at hostels so as not to hassle with the PO, and I figured I'd use them for a resupply of food as well.

It's just that I looked at one of the boxes and thought, "no way that'll last me 3 days". Like you said, I can always pick up a few things in town.

Thanks guys!

tf

StormBird
01-20-2011, 16:40
Typical Food for one on trail for me was:

Bfast:
-bagel flat w/ two big scoops of nutella
-coffee w/ nutella stirred in (I alway carried a jar of it out of town, it is like hiker crack)

AM snacks:
-couple big handfuls of dried fruit
-couple big handfuls of trail mix
-a snickers bar

Lunch:
-bagel flat w/ tuna salad packet (<- these are awesome & worth packing) and fritos smashed in. yummy crunchy sandwich of awesomeness!
-big wedge of cheese...maybe like 3 oz (obviously this will be harder in summer)

PM snacks:
-one big handful of trailmix
-one big handful of trail mix
-snickers bar

Dinner:
-One lipton packet with tuna packet
-half of a dark chocolate bar

Hope this helps! Good luck and happy trails!

peakbagger
01-20-2011, 16:53
You may want to check out Lipton cheesy macaroni. A lot of store dont stock it but its bascially mac and cheese where you dont need to drain and the portion size is good for an evening meal. I usually carry a variety of dehydrated veggies and on occasion dehydrated chicken which I add at the end to soak up some of the excess liquid. It really only needs to simmer for a couple of minutes and sit (wrapped up if its cold out)

In general I found any of the liptons dishes the right size. I usually split jello instant pudding in half at home, mixed in powered milk and coffee creamer for desert. Given the variety of Liptons and instant puddings at most stores, I didnt get bored.

leaftye
01-20-2011, 18:52
Yep, serving sizes are meaningless. Looks at macronutrients: carbs, fat, protein.

What was your typical daily food intake on the trail (not in town)? Did you feel like you would have liked to have more???

Last year mine was 4500 calories a day. I spent two months out there, but half the time was taking zeros where I was an absolute glutton. Even with all the down time, I still lost about 20 pounds.

I would have liked more. My original goal was 6000 calories a day. I just couldn't forced myself to eat that much.

Kerosene
01-20-2011, 23:11
Note that your appetite may actually be suppressed for the first 1-2 weeks of your hike, especially if you're hiking all day. A month after that, you won't be able to carry enough food to put a dent in your hunger each day.

Appalachian Tater
01-20-2011, 23:18
Carry a couple of extra packs of ramen. You can add it to other meals or make a pot of soup if you are still hungry after eating your meal.

If you are buying Mountain House meals you want the double portion size for a thru-hike. Weekend hikers share one.

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2011, 19:21
AT is right and don't forget propaks as they are designed for two people.

Blissful
01-21-2011, 19:52
Carry a couple of extra packs of ramen. You can add it to other meals or make a pot of soup if you are still hungry after eating your meal.

If you are buying Mountain House meals you want the double portion size for a thru-hike. Weekend hikers share one.

I found the single serving packet of potatoes out now a good boost with my meals as well.

Yahtzee
01-21-2011, 19:54

Never a truer words were spoken. An extra ramen saves the day!

I second that the appetite might be suppressed the first few weeks.

I'd stick to the basics in drop boxes, (eg. Liptons, Idahoan, Ramen, Real Bacon, packaged tuna and chicken), and then I'd by my snacks and assorted foodstuffs in towns.

Idahoans are enough for a good while. I would usually add Real Bacon and butter to fatten it up. Again, add a Ramen and the packet if you are especially hungry.

You'll figure it out as you go, and just when you figure it out, you'll get hungry.

Good luck.

Wuff
01-25-2011, 14:25
I'm glad I found this thread - it firmed up in my mind that the right thing to do is the buy along the way. Thanks everyone!