PDA

View Full Version : cold butt

mad4scrapping
01-20-2011, 19:01
Last weekend I went hiking. I wore long underwear and long pants (lined nylon). My legs were fine but my butt got really cold. Any advice on what I should be wearing?

Ashevillian
01-20-2011, 19:47
Sorry, would like to advise, but I can’t touch that!

Helios
01-20-2011, 19:48
Silk undies help a lot. Silk is a great insulator. Keeps my neither regions warm in the cold temps!

Luddite
01-20-2011, 19:51
Stick a couple hand warmers in your back pockets

tlap
01-20-2011, 23:02
I have a pair of polar fleece shorts that I use as a mid layer. IIRC they are Cloudveil brand, essentially a pair of unisex boxers. I think they are an older version of these (http://store.gearjunkie.com/products/cloudveil_run_dont_walk_boxer_mens.html).

I wear them snow-shoeing because that's when my butt seems to get the coldest. My snowshoes kick up a bit of powder from their tails and it hits me right there.

PS. The pair I have don't have a working fly. Not sure they are still made.

Blissful
01-20-2011, 23:04
I know my legs and backside probably get cold on my day hikes, but I never notice it, honestly. I wear convertible pants and my long silk underwear. I also sit on a seat cushion and not bare rock

fehchet
01-21-2011, 05:48
I wear Ibex wool boxer briefs ("boy shorts" as they are called) before I pull on long underwear. Four days ago it was -24C and I went on a 12 mile hike and my mid section was nice and warm. Hope this helps, merino wool works really well for me.

QiWiz
01-22-2011, 16:02
Merino boxers. BPL had some nice ones.

jcazz
01-22-2011, 18:18
spandex running shorts -insulated running tights(loose fit) and windpants -you don't need much, but you need something -even just a pair of regular undies work too

Just Jack
01-22-2011, 19:47
Maybe you need a thicker mattress.

WI shepherd
01-22-2011, 20:46
I remember dealing with cold butt in winter. I think I tried: hand warmers in back pockets, adding an extra layer of fleece in the cheek region of the fleece pants, and using (my own) bare hands to give warmth to the coldest spots. I think someone once told me fat cells insulate, but once they get cold they are hard to warm up. Keep the rest of your body as warm as possible, always sit/stand on a closed cell pad, and use cold butt as a reason to have another cup of hot chocolate.