PDA

View Full Version : Jon-e Remember Hand Warmers?

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2011, 19:34
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRal63IUEkT1Bd5Ekwv-lPfHLln6VzgQugK6RFEu9tTa5uaoq3SOk perhaps a question for Zelph I have one of these inexpensive products and apparently it runs on Kerosene? Has anyone tried White Gas (Coleman) or some other Gas?

Desert Reprobate
01-20-2011, 19:39
As I recall it was lighter fluid.

Toolshed
01-20-2011, 19:45
I have one as well. Only problem is I gt a rash where it is close to my skin, when it is burning.
I think Jon-E fluid is Naptha which is like a very, very light form of Kerosene -. Don't use WG. you'll catch fire...

Hikes in Rain
01-20-2011, 19:57
I may still have an old one somewhere! I recall lighter fluid, as well. Don't think I ever tried kerosene.

lustreking
01-20-2011, 20:46
I have one as well. Only problem is I gt a rash where it is close to my skin, when it is burning.
I think Jon-E fluid is Naptha which is like a very, very light form of Kerosene -. Don't use WG. you'll catch fire...

I'm pretty sure lighter fluid = naptha = white gas

Pioneer Spirit
01-20-2011, 21:15
I had one in the mid 70's. I don't know what happened to it. I looked around in a store a while back but couldn't find them. There was a type that used solid fuel sticks I believe.

Hikes in Rain
01-20-2011, 21:28
I'm pretty sure lighter fluid = naptha = white gas

I agree with the second two terms of your equation, but I think that lighter fluid is actually made from naptha. If that's true, I'm not sure whether or not it would work in one of these heaters. Might well, though, since I recall that the fuel saturated a batting of some kind in the fuel tank. Should minimize any flareups.

Rocketman
01-20-2011, 21:53
I've had both the Jon-e liquid fuel and the solid fuel pocket warmers (heaters) for years now, and one of these years I am actually going to try them again.

I remember having a Jon-e back in the 1950's and I used it for winter hunting trips as a way to keep my hands warm, especially with those light shooting gloves we carried.

I just looked. The Jon-e fuel can states "Excellent for lighters". It doesn't give much more information, other than "Contains VM & P. Naptha".

I would take that as a hint that lighter fluid could work, as I know kerosene won't work in a lighter - the spark isn't hot enough to get ignition (yeah, tried it years ago).

I'm not about to try white gas in either a lighter or in a Jon-e heater.

Tinker
01-21-2011, 00:12

Nope, naptha is more like white gas than it like kerosene.

Both kero and lighter fluid have a higher flash point and burn much more slowly.

A solid fuel handwarmer is probably safer, but I'd go with a rechargeable handwarmer gel pack if I wanted to carry something extra.

Tinker
01-21-2011, 00:17
I did a little Googling on the subject of naptha. According to Wiccipedia, there are different napthas. One has more carbon atoms, is heavier, and one has fewer carbon atoms and is lighter. I was only aware of the second. My father used to use it as a cheaper alternative to Coleman fuel until he found out that it gave off more dangerous vapors.

zelph
01-21-2011, 01:53
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRal63IUEkT1Bd5Ekwv-lPfHLln6VzgQugK6RFEu9tTa5uaoq3SOk perhaps a question for Zelph I have one of these inexpensive products and apparently it runs on Kerosene? Has anyone tried White Gas (Coleman) or some other Gas?

Use only lighter fluid and follow directions given by Jon-e

Google for the instructions. Place a match along side the burner head as directed in the instructions.

Don't use alcohol;)

Don't over fill. Measure out the recommended fuel amount.

I can not over emphasize the importance of following the instructions.

I have tried other fuels............they don't work.

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2011, 10:28
I had one in the mid 70's. I don't know what happened to it. I looked around in a store a while back but couldn't find them. There was a type that used solid fuel sticks I believe.

They are still cheap on the internet.

Thank's Zelph!

baddog
01-21-2011, 11:05
Besides having spent a number of years in the petroleum business as well as owning a new version of those hand warmers I am certain that the best fuel is lighter fluid: cheap, readily available and easily stored/carried. Naptha is not kero or gas. In a pinch I believe it would be a close substitute for lighter fluid, it has multiple other uses: paint thinner, cleaner, etc. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF GAS.

atraildreamer
01-22-2011, 16:35
... the best fuel is lighter fluid: cheap, readily available and easily stored/carried. Naptha is not kero or gas. In a pinch I believe it would be a close substitute for lighter fluid, it has multiple other uses: paint thinner, cleaner, etc. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF GAS.

I used to carry a can of Ronson's Lighter Fluid on my boy scout troop hikes to use to start campfires. :rolleyes: Totally not in the Boy Scout Handbook, but very useful in a pinch. ;) The scoutmaster even borrowed it one damp day to get the fire going! :D We called it "Boy Scout Water". :banana

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 07:42
After unpacking from moving, I just found my Jon-e Warmer last month after 20 years. They do use lighter fluid. Filled mine and lit it...still works great. I used it the next day for hunting. If I remember from years past, it will burn you if you don't put it in it's little flannel bag and even in the bag will give you heat rash if it is against your skin.

geek

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 07:43
After unpacking from moving, I just found my Jon-e Warmer last month after 20 years. They do use lighter fluid. Filled mine and lit it...still works great. I used it the next day for hunting. If I remember from years past, it will burn you if you don't put it in it's little flannel bag and even in the bag will give you heat rash if it is against your skin.

geek

blangeb
11-07-2013, 12:12

geek

After reading this post, (I know post is a little old), I dug out my Jon-e hand warmer. Still have original instructions, and it says: "Use only these fuels for best results, Jon-e Fluid, Energine (inflammable) cleaning fluid, regular naptha, stove and lamp (white) gasoline. Some lighter fluids will NOT work, however these give fair results: Energine lighter fluid, Zippo, Ronsonol, and Gulf."

peakbagger
11-07-2013, 12:23
Walmart stocks Ronsonol lighter fluid it works fine. I still use mine for winter camping, makes a great sleeping bag warmer compared to carrying a bulkier bag and hard to beat when standing around. We used to carry a few of them for winter campouts with boy scouts just in case they had inadequate sleeping bags.

They burn clean but still should be used in a ventilated area. Not sure if I would want to use one in zipped up bivy covered with snow

atmilkman
11-07-2013, 12:25
After reading this post, (I know post is a little old), I dug out my Jon-e hand warmer. Still have original instructions, and it says: "Use only these fuels for best results, Jon-e Fluid, Energine (inflammable) cleaning fluid, regular naptha, stove and lamp (white) gasoline. Some lighter fluids will NOT work, however these give fair results: Energine lighter fluid, Zippo, Ronsonol, and Gulf."

What about charcoal lighter. Is it more volatile than white gas?

perdidochas
11-07-2013, 17:07

Zippo makes them now. you can get them off of Amazon, for example.

perdidochas
11-07-2013, 17:08
I agree with the second two terms of your equation, but I think that lighter fluid is actually made from naptha. If that's true, I'm not sure whether or not it would work in one of these heaters. Might well, though, since I recall that the fuel saturated a batting of some kind in the fuel tank. Should minimize any flareups.

They are all pretty much the same thing.

perdidochas
11-07-2013, 17:10

Charcoal lighter is sometimes alcohol. It's not as volatile as white gas. On a recent Scout campout, we had about half a gallon of white gas that had been sitting in our Scout shack (storage shed) for at least 10 yrs. We decided to burn it up in fires. It turns out it's much more volatle than charcoal lighter fluid. Charcoal lighter fluid seems to burn longer, while white gas burns fast.

perdidochas
11-07-2013, 17:12
I used to carry a can of Ronson's Lighter Fluid on my boy scout troop hikes to use to start campfires. :rolleyes: Totally not in the Boy Scout Handbook, but very useful in a pinch. ;) The scoutmaster even borrowed it one damp day to get the fire going! :D We called it "Boy Scout Water". :banana

My troop calls it Girl Scout Water. Boy Scouts don't need it to start a fire :)

zelph
11-08-2013, 22:56

No, it's a form of kerosene/mineral spirits.:eek:

aficion
11-08-2013, 23:08
My troop calls it Girl Scout Water. Boy Scouts don't need it to start a fire :)

"Boy Scout Juice". Name applied to ligther fluid, Coleman fluid, kerosene, or gasoline when used for fire starting in my youth. My fondest recollection of its usefulness, is from the time Tailgunner and I, having grown tired of building fires after camping for several days, tried something new. We poured coleman fuel in the middle of a sandy dirt road, waited a few minutes to let it soak in, and threw a match. We were roasting our hotdogs over an invisible fire when a jeep drove by, too incredulous to stop and talk. Best hot dogs ever.

Crash
11-11-2013, 23:45
Cabelas sells the Zippo brand. I use Coleman fuel without any problem.

Sent from my iPod touch.

gps4
11-12-2013, 17:57
i came across mine last year and used them while watching the boy play soccer in near freezing temps in february. they still worked, but look like they need the elements replaced. i've had a couple burns last 8-10 hours and they work extremely well if you can put them in pockets that are close to your chest. if you use them without the cloth bags, they will burn you up quick.

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2013, 00:15
Charcoal lighter is sometimes alcohol. It's not as volatile as white gas. On a recent Scout campout, we had about half a gallon of white gas that had been sitting in our Scout shack (storage shed) for at least 10 yrs. We decided to burn it up in fires. It turns out it's much more volatle than charcoal lighter fluid. Charcoal lighter fluid seems to burn longer, while white gas burns fast.

Old post - yup - folks

O White Gas is Gasoline without additives
O Charcoal Lighter Fluid is Kerosene
O Zippo Fluid is Butane
O WD-40 is Mineral Spirit and considered a cleaner and lubricant.

Franco
11-13-2013, 01:54
"Zippo Fluid is Butane"
Zippo sells Butane for their Butane powered lighter.

The Zippo fuel you need for the hand warmers is the Premium Lighter Fluid and that is a type of naptha , similar to the Coleman fuel.
I have the Zippo hand warmer(I believe made by Peacock) I use Shellite, the local version of your White Gas/Coleman fuel.

Deacon
11-13-2013, 06:57
For a young boy, there was something magical about those hand warmer's, the soft silk like sack they came in, and about the name Jon-e. My older brother had one back in the early 50's, and he got upset with me when I would take it out of his drawer.

Odd Man Out
11-13-2013, 10:48

Funny. In our Boy Scout Troop, we called it "Girl Scout Water", based on the well known fact that Girl Scouts couldn't start a fire without it ;)

perdidochas
11-13-2013, 11:39
Old post - yup - folks

O White Gas is Gasoline without additives
O Charcoal Lighter Fluid is Kerosene
O Zippo Fluid is Butane
O WD-40 is Mineral Spirit and considered a cleaner and lubricant.

Zippo fluid is not butane. Zippo fluid is naptha, as is white gas. (zippo does sell butane as well, but it's in a pressurized container) Auto gas is similar to naptha (being a petroleum distillate), but has additives. Interestingly coleman fuel is only about 55 octane, so it's not useful to use in a car except for dire emergencies.

Franco
11-13-2013, 18:23
And ,BTW, who in his right mind would want to use WD 40 as fuel for a hand warmer or a lighter ?
Apart from the fact that is a lubricant, it costs several times more than the correct fuel plus how could you put up with that smell?

Sailing_Faith
11-13-2013, 23:25
Ok, so I am on another boat. I am headed south, it is really cold. I found my old hand warmer just like this in my junk box and it is in my hands right now.

how much fluid do the instructions recommend I put in it? I think I just hold the flame to the wick to light. It right? I have noT used this since I was about 12....

MarkTheCarp
12-08-2013, 16:17
I recently resurrected my regular size Jon-e handwarmer (gift-Christmas '64). I was looking here and other forums for information about fuel. Wow! Lots of vague and contradictory information—here and elsewhere.

I used to use Jon-e fuel and found later that Ronsonol Lighter Fluid worked the same as the Jon-e. I was hoping to find a simple way to choose a suitable, cheaper fuel. The whole idea of using of something described as 'naphtha' is not at all descriptive. The term "naphtha" is borrowed from the Greeks—who used it to describe any petroleum derivative, from crude oil on up, and has historically been used as a generic name for any petroleum product. The specifications (actual makeup) of a 'naphtha' varies greatly. The mention of "paraffin" content worried me at first—it sounded like the presence of candle-like paraffin wax which would not vaporize easily and would maybe deter the catalytic action of the platinum on the element. A quick chemical refresher reminded me that paraffin merely refers to an aliphatic hydrocarbon where the structure is of an open ended straight, branched or ring nature. If the structure is a ring with alternating single and double bonds it is deemed to be "aromatic". Benzene is such a structure and aromatic compounds of all sizes are often referred to as "benzene rings".

Liquid petroleum products are most always merchandised as a combination of several different chemicals which are either created that way in the cracking, distillation (or other) processes or they are combined to create the desired attributes (boiling point, flash point, viscosity, toxicity, etc). It seems that the bottom line for fuels for handwarmers with platinum catalyst heating elements is that most all of the fuels mentioned will work if they lack components other than fairly low molecular weight aliphatics (no other additives) which may inhibit the catalytic action.

As regards the use of Coleman Stove fuel; I looked up the MSDS (material safety data sheet — http://www.coleman.com/uploadedFiles/Content/Customer_Support/Safety/lantern.pdf— and it lists five aliphatic components with from 5 (pentane) to 9 (nonane) carbon atoms. [The more carbons (in general) the heavier the molecule, the heavier and the more volatile, flammable, etc. it is.] It appears to have no kind of additives for anti-corrosion, lubrication, or otherwise. They would have to be listed in some fashion in the MSDS, even if proprietary.

Someone stated in a blog that CF burned hotter and worked fine in their handwarmer. I always use it in my Svea 123/Sigg Tourist cook set and in my Zippo Lighter when at higher elevations and/or cold weather. It is the most volatile fuel for handwarmers that I’ve seen mentioned anywhere. My problem has always been keeping the thing lit, so I decided to give it a try. Since I ran a batch of Ronsonal first, some of that may have remained and I may not have gotten the full effect of the lighter CF but it did run hotter although it was not much, if any, better at staying lit. I know that the things need oxygen to operate and I have always tried to make sure there was sufficient but I have never ever been able keep it lit in any pocket. In addition I found them worthless at altitude. I tried to use it ~20 yr. ago when I was doing a lot of +10k ft. skiing and while it would start it was, of course, even worse in a pocket. My current problem is probably due mostly to deterioration of the element. It barely glows in a few spots and is nothing like the overall rosy glow I remember from when it was new. I’ll probably see if I can rig up some kind of replacement.

MarkTheCarp
12-08-2013, 16:36
WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a rather lousy lubricant and it's lubricity is lost as soon as soon as it begins to dry. It was designed as a water displacement compound which was used to dispel moisture from aerial bombs and other munitions hence, W(ater) D(isplacement) (formula)40. It is great as a penetrating oil to loosen frozen nuts & bolts. You can safely spray everything under the hood of a car to retard corrosion and to restore electrical flow where it has been leached away by moisture (esp. in aging, cracked ignition wires). I used to hang at the 1 ft. deep river crossing on the Santa Ynez River crossing above Santa Barbara) in the spring when people would race across the concrete ford at high speed and the water spray would snuff their motors. I would offer to get the cars running for $5 a pop, collect first, then spray my 'secret spray' from a generic spray bottle and never had one fail to start right up. Most probably believed it was some kind of ether based starter fluid. ~ $100/hr. was long dollars for a college student in the early 70's. One should never use it on locks, except as a very last resort, just graphite. It will collect dust and begin the end the life for most locks.

Gravesbrock
12-08-2013, 18:03
Hmm never seen or heard of these before . How does it work ?

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 18:42
Zippo fluid is not butane. Zippo fluid is naptha, as is white gas. (zippo does sell butane as well, but it's in a pressurized container) Auto gas is similar to naptha (being a petroleum distillate), but has additives. Interestingly coleman fuel is only about 55 octane, so it's not useful to use in a car except for dire emergencies.

I forget where I got this - and I have each and every one of these in the basement metal storage cabinet. Thanks - I can see I wasn't clear.

Franco
12-10-2013, 17:27
Mark,
Yes I am aware* that WD stands for Water Displacement (and 40 happens to be their 40th attempt at the formula...) , I used lubricant as a quick (lazy) way to describe it because my point was that I cannot see how anyone in his right mind would think of using that inside a hand warmer simply because of the cost and smell, nevermind the fact that it isn't the right stuff anyway.

* I looked that up years ago when I thought of using that as a bike chain lubricant. ( no it isn't...)