PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad Help

thelightinside
01-20-2011, 19:40
I need a sleeping pad for my mid-March thru...I've been looking at the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Women's Peak Oyl Lite, but I'm afraid it won't be enough insulation..? The Web site says the R-value is 3-4. It's just an inch thick. I've also been looking at the Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus. Do you think the Peak Oyl will be sufficient or should I go with the ProLite?

Franco
01-20-2011, 20:00
With sleeping bags the important part is air temperature and humidity, for mats is ground temperature.
So I do not know what ground temperature you can expect but to give you some idea the PO would keep me comfortable (that is not feel cold on my back) at around 35f (or a bit less) the ProLite Plus ( I have the W version) down to around 30f.( I have had a few 1" mats including the ProLite)
But for a few nights both will be OK at a few degrees less.
(you can boost the insulation by putting some of your day/camp clothes ,rain gear,stuff sacks /liners, under the mat)

Franco

leaftye
01-20-2011, 20:30
If you have a sit pad, you could also put that beneath your torso.

Did you look at this pad?
http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads/view/peak-elite-ac-womens

I think it would be a nice alternative if it sells for ~$90. It's a little lighter, thicker and about the same warmth. My favorite part is that it packs small enough that it could be carried inside your pack...external stuff always seems to get snagged on branches.

Appalachian Tater
01-20-2011, 23:13
Worry more about size, comfort, price, and durability than the R-value. On the AT you are probably not going to notice a difference because of a small increase in pad R-value. If you are cold, wear clothes when sleeping.

skinewmexico
01-20-2011, 23:39
Ether Thermo 6, with a Gossamer Gear thinlight pad for really cold days.

thelightinside
01-25-2011, 16:34
Thanks for all the input. The POE is lighter so I'm leaning toward that. What about the Thermarest Neo Air? How is it for warmth (and durability)?

Blissful
01-25-2011, 22:05
Neo air is the way to go. After my SOBO this year I am sold. Just take care of it. And get a lightweight pad to go under it for colder temps and for rocky ground. Like the kind Gossamer Gear sells.

Trailbender
01-25-2011, 22:15
Worry more about size, comfort, price, and durability than the R-value. On the AT you are probably not going to notice a difference because of a small increase in pad R-value. If you are cold, wear clothes when sleeping.

Won't help. With a pad that is too thin, I feel the cold through clothing and everything. I use the thermarest blue 4 season pad, had it down to around 10 degrees on my thru with no problems.

unclemjm
01-25-2011, 22:16
Thanks for all the input. The POE is lighter so I'm leaning toward that. What about the Thermarest Neo Air? How is it for warmth (and durability)?

If you decide you like the Neoair route I can help you save some money. I mentioned some pads in another thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1101875#post1101875)that I may be selling. I'm not to the point of cleaning out the closet and posting gear yet but if I can help you out, I'd be glad to do so.

Kerosene
01-25-2011, 22:25
Another vote for the NeoAir with a 1/8" closed cell pad (http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-8.html) underneath. I'd toss the underpad by the end of April.

gipcgirl
01-25-2011, 22:53
Another vote for the NeoAir with a 1/8" closed cell pad (http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-8.html) underneath. I'd toss the underpad by the end of April.

I have a neo air sleeping pad which I bought last year on my thru hike. I seem to have a slight leak around the valve. I lose the air not all of it over about 8 hours it is a very slow leek. I would like to fix it.

Has anyone any suggestions on how to go about this. I want to use this pad again on this years hike.
Has anyone else had this problem with the neoair? I have been really carefull with it and feel that it might be a faulty manufacturing problem. Please Help if you can.>