PDA

View Full Version : How do you get to Springer mt?

flatfeet
01-20-2011, 20:18
Other than getting a pick up from the MARTA station and or airport, how the heck do you get a direct-ish way to Springer mountain?

70 bucks seems steep for pickup and hostel stay....But maybe I should eat the cost instead of worrying how to get to Springer?

Thanks.

Praha4
01-20-2011, 20:28
Other than getting a pick up from the MARTA station and or airport, how the heck do you get a direct-ish way to Springer mountain?

70 bucks seems steep for pickup and hostel stay....But maybe I should eat the cost instead of worrying how to get to Springer?

Thanks.

that 70 buck quote you stated must be the price given by the Hiker Hostel.... as I recall it includes a shuttle ride, one nite at hostel, plus meals at the hostel..... doesn't sound so bad to me, considering the mileage from Gainsville, GA to Dahlonega, GA area near Springer Mtn.

there are alternatives. Greyhound bus lines can drop you off at Gainsville, GA... closest bus station to the AT's southern terminus....you can call a local AT shuttle driver like Wes Wisson or Survivor Dave to take you directly to Amicalola Falls State Park, may cost you $40 or so, or hitch up to Dahlonega area ... you can spend your first nite at Max Epperson shelter near the Amicalola Falls Park visitor center, register at the Visitor Center then start the hike by doing the Approach Trail up to Springer Mtn. That is probably the least expensive option to get to Springer other than hitching the entire journey.

max patch
01-20-2011, 20:34

Thanks.

From the Marta Sation to Amicalola it's 60 miles. If you want to go to Springer then they have 6.5 miles each way on a FS rd. If you are the only one they pick up at the airport then they have lost money on the trip. Not counting the lodging and meals.

Its a great deal. I wouldnt shuttle anyone - just the shuttle - for what they charge for everything. Pay the $70 and count your blessings.

Blissful
01-20-2011, 21:08
You could always hitch. :)

swamp dawg
01-20-2011, 21:44
Trust me, the price is well worth it and for you own safety you don't want to hitch in Atlanta.

Luddite
01-20-2011, 21:49
70 bucks seems like a great deal to me. I doubt they even make much of profit. Thats a nice clean hostel. I think its worth it.

flatfeet
01-20-2011, 22:15
Yeah, the hiker hostel is a good deal. I thought it included only pickup.
Pickup AND lodging AND meal is a great deal? You think they would drop me off
near the summit of Springer. I have no intention of hiking the approach trail, as it
is not included in the AT mileage.

max patch
01-20-2011, 22:22
They'll shuttle you to either AFSP or the forest service parking lot 1 mile north of Springer.

zeus307
01-20-2011, 22:28
do yourself a HUGE FAVOR!!!! USE THE HOSTEL!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!! IT IS WELL WORTH IT!!!!!!

Appalachian Tater
01-20-2011, 22:52
I also think that the Hiker Hostel charges a very fair price for the services provided. It is well worth the $70 not to have to worry about anything from the time you get off the airplane in Atlanta and claim your pack until the time you are dropped off at the approach trail or near Springer, your choice. For instance, they have alcohol which is a problem when you fly. I set my start date based on when they had space available and then bought the plane ticket after making the reservation at the hostel.

They are very friendly and helpful people. I could give a couple of examples of assistance they provided to me that went way way beyond anything reasonable,when they would have been well within their rights to just say "No, sorry, we just aren't able to do that because we have a house full of hikers that we are shuttling long distances plus our jobs and we just don't have time" and I wouldn't have been the least bit offended but I don't want to encourage anyone else to be such a PITA!

The only caution is to make sure you understand the exact location at the MARTA station where they will pick you up because there is a lot of asphalt and you don't want to be in the wrong place and make them have to look for you. The logistics of picking up and then dropping off all the hikers gets pretty complicated and you don't want to make it more difficult for them.

As far as cost, even if you just look at the transportation alone, is there a cheaper way to get from the airport to the trail without hitchhiking or otherwise getting a free ride? If so, it can't be much more inexpensive.

TheChop
01-20-2011, 23:00
$70 for all that? Are you kidding me?

Trailweaver
01-21-2011, 02:15
It's further to the Atlanta Marta station from Dahlonega than you think. . . the HH offers a great deal for that price. You are risking your life if you think about hitching in Atlanta. Take the deal and thank them graciously for offering it! You can thank everyone else on here for recommending it after you've eaten their breakfast.

Deacon
01-21-2011, 04:06
What exactly is the MARTA station, is this Atlanta's intercity train system, bus?

khog03
01-21-2011, 06:14
Marta is the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transport Authority basically consisting of 2 rail lines and a bunch of buses. There is a rail stop at the airport that will get you 20 miles north toward the mountains and a sore ass.

$70 is great. If I didn't live here already that's what I would do.

Awol1970
01-21-2011, 07:08
Lol@ "...a sore ass."

MARTA is good for just a few things to 95% of Metro Atlantans. Going to a game or concert downtown is just about it IMHO.

It's also good for getting to the Airport to the North side of ATL if you are a thru hiker.

walkin' wally
01-21-2011, 07:39
The thru hiker special is $75.00 this year and that includes shower, breakfast,shuttles, fuel,internet, and other amenities. It's beautiful and clean. I am going down there in mid March to start my thru. I think the prices are well worth it just for avoiding the headaches of transportation alone. Like others said it is 60 miles from North Springs MARTA to the HH. Gas prices seem to be rising again also. At least where I live.

FatMan
01-21-2011, 08:18
Wow! You think $75 is too much for a hostel stay and shuttle from Atlanta? That my friend is a steal. My best advise to you then is to walk to Springer. What's another 70 miles of road walking when you are about to hike 2000+. And I might also suggest that you stay away from all trail services as it appears you are not willing to pay up a fair dollar for the services provided.

generoll
01-21-2011, 10:22
ditto all of the above. most shuttles alone will cost you more then $75.

MkBibble
01-21-2011, 10:25
wow. and, nobody mentioned their coffee!

GeneralLee10
01-21-2011, 10:28
What exactly is the MARTA station, is this Atlanta's intercity train system, bus?

MARTA= moving afri..... rapidly through Atlanta, sorry, that's what this guy from ATL told me when I was heading up to Springer.

bigcranky
01-21-2011, 15:30
Maybe you can get a taxi to drive you from the airport to Springer? Might cost more than $75, though, and you won't get breakfast out of the deal.

You can ride the Dog to Gainesville, GA, from Michigan, and then hitch from there, or take a less expensive cab. Might save a few bucks over flying.

As you can probably tell from the snarky responses, (1) that's a great deal for what you get, and (2) the Hiker Hostel folks are rather well-thought-of on the Trail.

Sickmont
01-21-2011, 15:32
Hike there.......

generoll
01-21-2011, 20:13
FWIW, I just found out today that Enterprise has an office in Blairsville. You could probably do a one way car rental and then get a shuttle or thumb it to someplace on the trail.

kayak karl
01-21-2011, 23:03
LOL $70 has your fur up. OMG have fun on your hike.

lilricky
01-21-2011, 23:38
Ok guys, he apologized, said he thought the $70 was for pickup only, what do you want him to do next, crucify himself?? Sheesh! Come on, he made a mistake, apologized, let him be!

kayak karl
01-21-2011, 23:41
i (kayak karl) apologize. i admit i am an idiot for posting what i posted.

walkin' wally
01-22-2011, 09:13
Ok guys, he apologized, said he thought the $70 was for pickup only, what do you want him to do next, crucify himself?? Sheesh! Come on, he made a mistake, apologized, let him be!

Amen...:):sun:) good post

Iron Will
01-23-2011, 16:49
i too am curious of the logistics of getting to the trail
for a straight forward forum i find alot of patronage and talk about the hiker hostel(however much they may be appreciated) and nothing to plug into google maps or the like to get some directions...

i will be at an event in georgia and will have my friends drop me off on the trail afterwards but i still need to tie up loose ends before my hike like printing directions for the driver..

any help would be appreciated alot!!

FatMan
01-23-2011, 18:40
i too am curious of the logistics of getting to the trail
for a straight forward forum i find alot of patronage and talk about the hiker hostel(however much they may be appreciated) and nothing to plug into google maps or the like to get some directions...

i will be at an event in georgia and will have my friends drop me off on the trail afterwards but i still need to tie up loose ends before my hike like printing directions for the driver..

any help would be appreciated alot!!You can find directions here.
http://www.georgia-atclub.org/trail/shuttles.htm

FatMan
01-23-2011, 18:47
And if it was directions to the Hiker Hostel you were looking for here is their address:

7693 Hwy 19N
Dahlonega, GA 30533

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hiker+hostel&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hiker+hostel&cid=0,0,6377622870417807027&ei=yK88Tdz4HoeglAepm92yBw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCEQnwIwAQ

generoll
01-23-2011, 19:14
or just google Amicalola Falls. on a side note, do you think we could get this thread closed if we tried hard enough? doesn't seem to take much.

Iron Will
01-24-2011, 02:20
Thank you fatman!!! ^_^