PDA

View Full Version : Why are W's hiking shorts so long?

Fog Horn
01-20-2011, 20:52
So I bought two pairs of ExOfficio NioAmphi shorts and I love them, but I'd like to hem them about an inch or an inch and a half.

http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/ExOfficio/2030-5003?$Thumb$

I just don't like the way they look at this length. I know most of you will say "who cares about looks on the trail" but they'll be plenty long and modest at an inch to an inch and a half shorter, and it would make me happy.

Before I deform two pairs of really great (and slightly expensive, although they're on sale now) shorts though, I'm just wondering if any seasoned female hikers can tell me why they are so long in the first place, and if my inch modification would make a huge difference in the hike. I've never hiked in shorts, only pants.

The only reason I can really come up with is to keep your thighs from chafing but my thighs don't touch that low. Or maybe to keep you clean when you sit on a log to take a break?:-? Would an inch to an inch and a half make any functional difference?

sbhikes
01-20-2011, 21:35
Maybe because women with big thighs like me can't stand short shorts and there are more women with big thighs these days.

Blissful
01-20-2011, 22:57
I like them longer. They don't chafe me as much.

Fog Horn
01-21-2011, 10:30
So aside from the chafing, there should be no fundamental problem with the mod?

IronGutsTommy
01-21-2011, 15:40
im a guy but yeah i tend to think its for chafing as most ladies, regardless of thigh size, tend to walk less bowlegged than the average guy. even being a guy i fell in love with long stuff including UA boxer/brieefs with a 9 inch inseam to avoid chafiing. If chafings not a problem for you, alter away

Rebekah
01-31-2011, 17:58
I'm with you Fog Horn! I like my shorts a little shorter than the length of most hiking shorts. I don't like short shorts on the trail, but I don't want them touching my knees either. I only ever get convertible pants because of their dual purpose. I got these last year and love them! http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-paramount-valley-convertible-pant-womens shorts, capris, or pants, and the shorts don't go all the way to the knees!

I don't have a problem with chaffing on the short end, just on the hips. I would probably alter one of those pairs and see how I liked them through this trip.

Genofeve
02-05-2011, 11:09
I prefer shorter shorts as well. I say go with running shorts.

Swordpen
02-25-2013, 01:24
I find most shorts (shorts, mens board shorts, convertible pants), WAAAAAY too short. They are 8-10 inches above my knees! I am 5'10".

I wish they were longer, too much chafing!

Hairbear
02-25-2013, 10:09
Hate shorts long enough to grap you on every step,right above the knee.

Pingus
02-25-2013, 10:15
I always go for the shorter shorts. Longer shorts tend to restrict my stride especially when climbing.

ajwatson
02-25-2013, 10:16
I'm a guy, but I have to chime in. I can't stand knee-length shorts. I either wear pants or running shorts, which are plenty short!

Wild Violet
02-25-2013, 13:49
I'm 5'3", you wanna talk 'long'....capri pants look like I've encountered high water and have pulled my pants legs up out of the water. Shorts tend to fall below my knee. :datz

And the 'petite' lengths don't work for me...I'm a short round so they don't even come close to my size. While I don't want mid calf shorts, I don't want crotch crawlers either....its a vicious cycle....too bad I can't design clothing or sew myself.

SoCalled
02-25-2013, 15:12
Im a guy. So I ll never complain how short they are.

The Old Boot
02-25-2013, 15:53
More of a seasoned seamstress than a seasoned hiker BUT!

The reason they're that length won't be particularly valid for you but it's because the shorts are meant to fit anyone from about 5'3" to 5'10 tall. As a really short person, I've lived with the problem of length of clothes all my life. The longer length also causes less problems for many women with the shorts 'schrunching up' between their legs as they walk.

I went to Cabella's website so I could get a good enlarged view of the shorts.

My advice - before you go 'mutilating' the shorts try this - fold up the bottom of the shorts as far as you can (probably an inch or so) without having the hem stitching exposed on the outside. Press and tack this to the outside at both the seams so that it makes a cuff. Do this for one pair of the shorts.

An alternative is to turn the bottoms up by the amount you want to shorten them to the inside - again without cutting the fabric. Hand hem them so that it's easy to undo if you don't like it.

This will give you a feel for how the shorts react at the shorter length without having cut the material. Go hiking with each and see how it works.

Then, if you still want to shorten them, go for it.

At a mere 5' tall, I don't want to begin to figure out how many pairs of bottoms I've shortened for myself over the years. I finally found one manufacturer who makes dress pants in a petite short that I can wear off the rack - other than that I'm screwed. Capris reach my ankles, mid thigh shorts are knee length, etc.

I finally found a pattern for convertible pants so I can alter the pattern for them BEFORE I cut fabric - there's no way on earth that store bought convertibles can be modified.

tiptoe
02-25-2013, 17:39
Depending on your build, you might find men's shorts more suitable. I like them because they fit me better, they're often sturdier, and they have more pockets.

Country Roads
02-26-2013, 15:47
Weird part for me is that I am short, but like my shorts long. They don't chafe and they don't ride up, both thing I hate in shorts. For me 6 to 7 inch inseam is as short as I like to go.

Owf
02-26-2013, 23:40
I've hiked in everything from Men's synthetic boxers to a boy's swim trunks...to short shorts from walmart to spandex capris to regular old gym shorts. Honestly, having material between my thighs was comforting even though my thighs do not rub together. There are some funky positions that you have to get in to hike and having that material there was securing to me. As for the short shorts... I didn't like those only because they were so short that I felt as if my butt cheeks were revealed when I sat on a rock or something. (And actually later, the pictures that I got tagged in proved that indeed, my butt cheeks were revealed :-?) As for the boys bathing suit (wearing these was a desperate switch from the short shorts)...it was a weird material but it worked, and I wore these during the Maine river fords and since it was a bathing suit, it dried incredibly quick. As for the boxers...soooo dreamy because I wore these during the hottest part of the south and stayed nice and cool in them. Since they were mens boxers, they were relatively long, as well. And as for the spandex capris... they were like running capris, and I loved how it felt to hike in these. They allow you to stretch your stride easily. And the gym shorts... well...everybody has worn gym shorts. Self-explanatory.

My most recent purchase for my upcoming hike: a skort. The shorts part of it is nice and short, and the skirt part covers everything up. I think it is the perfect solution.

I'd say be careful going too short. It's nice to have that material there. Of all my weird bottoms...the short shorts were my least favorite.

2014hopeful
03-21-2013, 00:07
Have you hiked while very sweaty or very damp from rain? I find in cooler weather I can wear shorter shorts, but if I am sweaty I chafe quickly and it hurts!

gumball
03-21-2013, 06:11
I think it's a style issue. Woman's clothes, especially athletic and outdoor clothing, are often ill suited. Companies go for looks instead of practicalities. Longer shorts tend to grab you, especially when you are hiking uphill, at knee level. Makes the hiking harder for me. I long ago abandoned women's hiking shorts and wear running shorts. Modify your shorts for what makes you comfortable.

DonnaWalken
03-26-2013, 07:31
We'll just have to find the shorts that makes life easier and more comfortable for us women when we're on the trail. I've heard of hiking skirts. Has anyone here tried them?