PDA

View Full Version : Compression bag size for clothes?

Ashevillian
01-20-2011, 22:13
I’ve been to the local outfitter store and looked at compression bags. I need to get a dry bag to pack my clothes in. No matter what brand (although I think I’ll get Sea to Summit eVent), what volume do you need for a typical clothing load? They range from 6 to 30 Liters, compression to 2 to 10. I’m talking two pairs of socks, two pairs of underwear, one medium capilene top and bottom, one T, one pair of shorts, one 200 weight fleece and one pair of medium weight convertible pants. Any advice would be helpful!

Chummin' for Bear
01-20-2011, 22:53
You could take your clothes to the outfitter and see which size holds them all.

Appalachian Tater
01-20-2011, 22:55
That's the best suggestion. Also think about getting one in proportions that you can use for a pillow.

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 23:07
That's the best suggestion. Also think about getting one in proportions that you can use for a pillow.

I use my down jacket or polypro as a pillow.

Tinker
01-20-2011, 23:15
If you compress your clothing (or anything else, for that matter), It will actually take up more space in your pack (think a stack of bowling balls). The best way to get the most gear into your pack is to use oversized stuffsacks, or none at all. Use your entire pack to compress its contents. I carry frameless packs. You can't get away with carrying a bunch of compression sacks in one - it feels like a bunch of bowling balls :).
Btw: eVent is not 100% waterproof. I have a jacket made out of the stuff. It's waterproof (mostly)/breathable (hardly). It's basically Gore-tex without the poly inner coating. Stuff sacks for watersports are heavily coated with polyurethane (or they're vinyl - too heavy).

Stir Fry
01-20-2011, 23:28
eVent is water proof. I tested it in the tub over night and in the morning every thing was still dry. In case anyone wants to know it was flooting and nort submerged.

Tinker
01-20-2011, 23:32
My eVent rain jacket leaked in the rain the other day, through the fabric. The DWR is getting old.

Franco
01-21-2011, 17:21
I tested it in the tub over night and in the morning every thing was still dry. In case anyone wants to know it was flooting and nort submerged

Not really a good test because in that scenario there is almost no pressure against the fabric.
That is why rain jacket are in the 5000/10000mm waterhead range while tents can be from 800mm and up.
Franco

Joshuatree
01-21-2011, 20:57
I use the 4l and 8l sizes of sea to summt Cordura bags depending on the time of year. They work fine for me I don't have issues with them acting like bowling balls. I won't compress them tight I use the bags more like a vacum bag, just enough to get them flat then they fit 2 across lengthwise on top of my sleeping bag.
The Green bag is an 8l, the Red bag is a 4. Between the 2 bags I have 2 pairs of light hiking pants, two changes of socks wool and liners, underwear, a pair of thermals, 1 t shirt, a mid layer. I have one more 4l I use for my fleece a dry pair of socks and I'll store my zip off legs for ease of access. They both have a little more room but as they are they still have some give which makes them easier to mold into place.

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2011, 21:07
Tinker is correct _ only use the sea to summit for down items like jackets or sleeping bags a garbage bag is 20 gallon is enough for the clothes, which should not be cotton.

finskie
01-22-2011, 01:43
If you compress your clothing (or anything else, for that matter), It will actually take up more space in your pack (think a stack of bowling balls). The best way to get the most gear into your pack is to use oversized stuffsacks, or none at all. Use your entire pack to compress its contents. I carry frameless packs. You can't get away with carrying a bunch of compression sacks in one - it feels like a bunch of bowling balls :).
Btw: eVent is not 100% waterproof. I have a jacket made out of the stuff. It's waterproof (mostly)/breathable (hardly). It's basically Gore-tex without the poly inner coating. Stuff sacks for watersports are heavily coated with polyurethane (or they're vinyl - too heavy).

IMO this is very true. I like to use a ziplock clothing bag for everything in my pack. I compress it as need be when everything is in. leaving things loose is an awesome idea when possible. The sleeping bag loose is a great example, a down bag stuffed into a sack takes up considerably more room than if you put it in loose and let it fill up the dead space. Plus if you are going for a waterproof sack on the cheap... walmart has a pack of 3 different sizes for i think $10 or so. And I've carried water in them with no leaking so nuff said :)

Torch09
01-22-2011, 01:55
I use a 10L siliconized stuff sack (drawstring, not roll top) for my clothes. I agree with the logic of letting them float around in the pack, but it doesn't work for me. Its easier and quicker to find an item if everything is kept together. For me its not about compression, its about organization.

Ashevillian
01-22-2011, 13:34
Thanks all. Very good advice.