PDA

View Full Version : the long path in ny/nj

neo
12-29-2004, 15:18
has anyone ever hiked the long path in ny/nj,it crosses the AT in harriman state park about a half mile past the lemon squeezer,gonna do that trail after i finish the AT.:sun NEO

Blue Jay
12-29-2004, 15:33
has anyone ever hiked the long path in ny/nj,it crosses the AT in harriman state park about a half mile past the lemon squeezer,gonna do that trail after i finish the AT.:sun NEO

I've done the Harriman State Park section in late June. It was spectacular, flowering shrubs everywhere. I know several people who have done it all the way up to Thatcher Park near Albany. They assure me the Catskill section is also excellent. It's supposed to eventually connect to the Northville-Placid but I don't know where it ends at the present time.

LIhikers
12-29-2004, 17:30
I've done the section in Harriman and some of it starting at the GWB. Does anyone know if camping is permited in the trail corridor so that it can be hiked all at once instead of as a bunch of day hikes.

You can make a nice day loop hike, on the southern section, by hiking one way on the Long Path and then returning in the other direction on the Shore Trail, which is at the bottom of the palisades and on the bank of the Hudson river.

Pencil Pusher
12-29-2004, 19:51
I hiked the first two sections of this from the GWB to Nyack. Don't remember which month of the summer, but I do remember the kamikaze mosquito dive bombers. I liked the historical sights along the way and the scenic overlooks. There was a slight landowner issue that forced an impromptu detour. I camped past these old missile silos. Whether it was officially allowed or not I do not remember, but there was nobody around to enforce it even if there was a law. I think after that I got to walk through an old WW I shooting range and then past some college in Nyack before calling it quits. At least for these first 22 miles you were never really more than a stone's throw from society so there were amply opportunities for resupply.

jamarshall
12-29-2004, 19:56
I have a Long Path guide book that says backpacking is limited to Harriman SP, Catskill Park & state reforestation areas north of the Catskills. But it also says you can hike it end to end by using motels and public campgrounds. The guide was published by the NY/NJ Trail Conference, they may have more info on their web-site.

Pencil Pusher
12-29-2004, 20:53
And for perspective, the same book stated that as of June 1995, there were 24 reported End-to-Enders. ISBN 1880775069

Askus3
12-29-2004, 21:28
I have hiked the LP from the George Washington Bridge to NY 23 west of Catskill and close to Windham, NY (north end of Catskills). As for official legitimate camping south of Harriman park in non-existent. Motels are available. Also, until enteing Harriman Park you are always close to civilization and the constant sounds of autos, although some stretches although you might here the noise, you are out of sight of roads, houses and commercial business. Yet in other places, (ie. Nyack) you walk right between two apartment complexes on a right-of-way. Also, for those beginning sections thru Long Clove, (Route 9W near Haverstraw) you can use a bus Route 9A - Rockland Coaches to get you from each sections start/finish point. E-mail me for further details as to this use of shuttle (cost around $1.). Once past Schunnemunk Mountain you have pretty much a 30 mile road walk before entering the Shawangunks. Then one more 15 mile road walk between the Gunks and Catskills. Then the trail goes into real wilderness and is as equally as challenging as most anything on the AT.

A-Train
12-30-2004, 00:00
I became pretty intrigued with the LP since I'm from NYC. The thought of starting a trip in my own backyard seemed pretty cool. I got out for a couple short jaunts this summer and did a loop with the AT/LP in Harriman and also rode my bike from my house over the bridge and walked the first mile or so. Some nice views across the river, but so close to the road. I tried to have a peaceful lunch but it was pretty nasty with grafitti, broken glass and a really sketchy guy staring at me while I rested. Not like you can expect more as the trail is basically next to the GWB in a concrete jungle.

The large amounts of road walking and camping issues kinda turned me off, but I still would love to thru-hike it. Seems like you would never need to carry more than a couple days of food with all the towns nearby. Anyway, I may consider it for the summer, if this current pipedream to hike a long trail out west doesn't work out.

stranger
01-01-2005, 20:46
I wanted to hike this trail in preparation for my 1995 AT hike. After researching it and speaking with end-to-enders I decided to not attempt it due to the lack of wilderness, road walking, private land, etc...I hiked the Long Trail instead.

I don't know if anyone has thru-hiked it, but there are plenty of end-to-enders who have done sections hikes and day hikes to complete the trail. It's my understanding that there are many no-camping areas along the way, and from growing up down the street from the trail I can tell you that from the GWB to Harriman is nothing special. Harriman is nice and the section through the Catskills is beautiful, although anything in the Catskills is beautiful. It's now well over 300 miles and from what I've heard from the NYNJ Trail Conference it will most likely never connect to Northville-Lake Placid trail which was the original goal (this was 5-6 years ago)

It's also important to realize that when this trail was built it was specifically designed to be day-hiked, not backpacked, hence the difficulty of thru-hiking it these days. It was built in the spirit of the Long Trail in Vermont, for NY to have it's own Long Path. Saying that, I think the Finger Lakes Trail would be a better model for a long distance trail in NY.

Askus3
01-01-2005, 21:53
I can tell you that from the GWB to Harriman is nothing special. I completely disagree with that statement. When you are on top of the Palisades looking across the majestic Hudson it is a sight to behold. Many a photographer would love to take photos of the necklaces hanging from the towers of the George Washington Bridge with the NYC skyline in the background. The nighttime scene is truly spectacular. This is not a wilderness trail. It is like walking thru a city park with noises of autos and people and civilization nearby. But the trail goes and goes and goes. Historical sights abound. Watching barges going up and down the Hudson, seeing the trains of Metro North going by, viewing some of man's greatest buildings, bridges and structures are all sights worth taking in. I consider myself honored that the Palisades cliffs, Hook Mountain, High Tor were saved by environmentalists going back to the late 19th century. This is not wilderness, but special it is indeed! Over the upcoming year, when time permits I will be uploading my photos of LP I, II & III. But section IV from Long Clove to Mt. Ivy you are able to see here (http://community.webshots.com/user/askus3) for yourself what I call "some special scenery". This is before you enter Harriman Park. If you are a hiker and visiting NYC, and you really just want a pretty hike just a short distance outside the city, I highly recommend a walk along the cliffs of the Palisades on the Long Path.

I do agree with Stranger in that the Long Path is not like the Long Trail of Vermont. It is not wild in its first 100 miles. The first hundred miles will not be a good thru hiking prep hike for the AT. But don't make it sound like the LP is ho-hum. Lots of people have put much effort in saving this scenic stretch of land on the west bank of the Hudson that we are lucky to have preserved today in its natural state. High Tor could have been completely destroyed to quarrying.

Walkin' Ed
01-04-2005, 16:56
To date 73 people have completed the entire Long Path. Although most have done it as a series of day hikes, at least 5 have thru- hiked the trail. It can be done, it just takes some planning.

The Long Path is not a "trail in the wilderness" like the LT, although it does pass through designated wilderness areas for long stretches. It doesn't offer the social experience that the AT offers. If you hike this trail you will be alone for days on end without meeting another hiker. But you won't have to put up with crowded shelters every night either. Its also not an easy trail. There are some road walks where you can really eat up the miles, but there are also some sections where you will be hard pressed to keep up a 1 1/2 mph pace, as anyone who has hiked the Devil's Path in the Catskill Mountains (most of which is on the route of the LP) can attest to.

What the Long Path is, is a connection to some of the most dramatic scenery in New York State. From the majestic views of the Hudson River from the Palisades, to the rocky congomerate of Schunemunk Mountain, the pitch pines and white cliffs of the Shawangunks, the high peaks and wilderness areas of the Catskill Mountains, the forests and waterfalls in Schoharie Counties, to the rolling farmlands and dramatic cliffs in Albany County the Long Path brings it all together.

I've spoken with almost everyone who has hiked this trail and everyone seems to think it is NY's hidden jewel.

neo
01-04-2005, 21:27
To date 73 people have completed the entire Long Path. Although most have done it as a series of day hikes, at least 5 have thru- hiked the trail. It can be done, it just takes some planning.

The Long Path is not a "trail in the wilderness" like the LT, although it does pass through designated wilderness areas for long stretches. It doesn't offer the social experience that the AT offers. If you hike this trail you will be alone for days on end without meeting another hiker. But you won't have to put up with crowded shelters every night either. Its also not an easy trail. There are some road walks where you can really eat up the miles, but there are also some sections where you will be hard pressed to keep up a 1 1/2 mph pace, as anyone who has hiked the Devil's Path in the Catskill Mountains (most of which is on the route of the LP) can attest to.

What the Long Path is, is a connection to some of the most dramatic scenery in New York State. From the majestic views of the Hudson River from the Palisades, to the rocky congomerate of Schunemunk Mountain, the pitch pines and white cliffs of the Shawangunks, the high peaks and wilderness areas of the Catskill Mountains, the forests and waterfalls in Schoharie Counties, to the rolling farmlands and dramatic cliffs in Albany County the Long Path brings it all together.

I've spoken with almost everyone who has hiked this trail and everyone seems to think it is NY's hidden jewel.
wow ed you have hiked several trails i plan on hiking when i finish section hiking the AT:sun NEO

Rocks 'n Roots
01-05-2005, 01:49
1987. Since then they have extended it north. Hopefully it will go to the Adirondack High Peaks eventually...

A good sleeper trail with some suburban special places mixed with top class eastern peaks...

Maintained several miles for over a decade...

stranger
01-06-2005, 05:32
I personally do not find views of the blackish Hudson River and the Bronx and Westchester particulary interesting when I hike. Many people have worked hard to perserve this trail...I'm one of them, that's not the point. Let's just say the trail is urbanly unique or something along those lines.

The Solemates
01-06-2005, 10:37
I have never heard of this trail. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Thats why I love this site!

Rocks 'n Roots
01-07-2005, 00:04
Spent my youth rambling along the diabase cliffs hundreds of feet above the Hudson. The trails and views were an escape and inspirational for further trail horizons for myself. The New Jersey Palisades are scenic and awe inspiring. They originate from one of the most urbanized cities on earth and stretch up to the fresh air of the Adirondacks, not much unlike the Whites.

The suburban stretches are some of the last wild places in the area. I always thought of the scenic and fresh air charged Hudson views as being a beneficial and special place. If you know the history of those foothills, it's part of where organized American hiking began. Sure, I wouldn't recommend a Himalayan trek be missed in order to do this trail, but never the less it is a good NY path. I always thought each state should have such a path. You could do much worse...

The Long Path is a good long distance hike for someone who bags trails or has an interest in NY region hiking and history. The Catskills are no less than the Greens or Shenandoahs. If the LP were extended as a high route into the Adirondacks it could be a much better trail the likes of the Long Trail. If hiked south to north you could walk off the A Train from JFK Airport, across the scenic George Washington Bridge and up to NY's highest peak Mt Marcy.

The Long Path intersects the AT in Harriman Park...

Appalachian Tater
04-07-2007, 15:56
I personally do not find views of the blackish Hudson River and the Bronx and Westchester particulary interesting when I hike. Many people have worked hard to perserve this trail...I'm one of them, that's not the point. Let's just say the trail is urbanly unique or something along those lines.

The Hudson is one of the few rivers that inspired a whole art movement: the Hudson River School.

Get one honest AT hiker who crossed the Bear Mountain Bridge to say they weren't impressed with how beautiful the river is. You can't do it.

It's even beautiful between Manhattan and Jersey City! You should have seen the sun coming through the storm clouds over the mouth of the Hudson emptying into the bay yesterday around 4 pm. The cliffs on the Jersey side are really nice at night with the lights. Taking MetroNorth or Amtrak up the river is a treat night or day if you're sitting on the river side. (Except maybe for Sing-Sing!)

Check out the hundreds of photos Askus3 took, posted, and linked to above.

STEVEM
04-07-2007, 16:44
The Hudson is one of the few rivers that inspired a whole art movement: the Hudson River School.

Get one honest AT hiker who crossed the Bear Mountain Bridge to say they weren't impressed with how beautiful the river is. You can't do it.

It's even beautiful between Manhattan and Jersey City! You should have seen the sun coming through the storm clouds over the mouth of the Hudson emptying into the bay yesterday around 4 pm. The cliffs on the Jersey side are really nice at night with the lights. Taking MetroNorth or Amtrak up the river is a treat night or day if you're sitting on the river side. (Except maybe for Sing-Sing!)

Check out the hundreds of photos Askus3 took, posted, and linked to above.

I hiked from the GWB north about 6 miles and back in 3-4 inches of fresh snow just this past January. With 15 million people within 20
miles of me I did not see a single person or footprint (other than my own) on that trail the entire day.