PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart or Gossamer "The One"

Ender
01-21-2011, 13:38
Hey all,

So, I like both of these tents, at least from what I've seen online. What are your thoughts on them? Advantages, disadvantages? Space, headroom, length?

Just curious how these two compare.

sbhikes
01-21-2011, 14:45
I can't compare the two but I do have The One. It is very spacious and comfortable for someone of ordinary height. I doubt you can go wrong with either tent.

skinewmexico
01-21-2011, 14:48
What you're really asking is "Single wall vs. double wall".

Ender
01-21-2011, 14:50
What you're really asking is "Single wall vs. double wall".

Actually, no. But I can see how you'd think that. Mainly, I'm asking about interior space, length, width, headroom, etc...

Ender
01-21-2011, 14:51
Oh, and for reference, I'm an even 6'0", 175 lbs. (And on long hikes, that would drop down to about 155lbs).

Ender
01-21-2011, 14:53
I doubt you can go wrong with either tent.

Agreed. I've only really heard good things about both tents. And they're both going to have, or already have, cuben versions available to lighten them up even more.

mad4scrapping
01-21-2011, 15:10
I have the LIghtheart and I love it. Lots of headroom for me (I'm 5'5"). The mesh sides makes it feel very roomy, plus there is a lot of room around the area where the sleeping bag goes. I like having a double walled tent (I've tried both). Plus it's light, easy to carry and easy to set up.

sixguns01
01-21-2011, 15:22
Oh, and for reference, I'm an even 6'0", 175 lbs. (And on long hikes, that would drop down to about 155lbs).

I'm 5'10 and I fit in The One just right. May be a little snug for you at 6ft. On the flip-side, I'm rounder than you at 185-190 and there is ample space for me and my gear; even my 100lb great dane on one trip (I was so warm that night). Other height endowed people like yourself told me it wasn't that bad though.

I love The One, easy to setup, with some practice, and light as hell. I'm not a tarper, I don't like bugs crawling on me while I sleep, sorry. I recommend it.

stranger
01-21-2011, 22:56
Personally speaking...I've never found the construction on any Gossamer Gear product to be overly robust.

I bought and returned two products from them based on this. Put a GG tarp next to a MLD and you will see what I mean.

I would go Lightheart on this one.

Hoop
01-22-2011, 00:45
I can't compare the two, but the LH is plenty adequate for 6'1", and is versatile with the fly; also, now you can get the Solo with an optional awning.

MedicineMan
01-22-2011, 01:50
cant say anything about the One-dont have, but got the tour of the Lightheart at the soruck last week....and ordered one in cuben. One thing you'll like about the Lightheart is that there are options you can choose from---cuben or sil, awning model or plain, two zippered entries or one, and probably others. The cuben is spacious for me at 6'1" 194 lbs and a doubled walled tent with options for 16 ounces is remarkable.
You know you use hiking poles with the Lighheart but if you go with the awning you'll carry a separate pole just for it. OK, all that and I'm not really a tenter-been hanging for years now-but this tent is so neat in design and you never know when a tent might come in handy.

Ender
01-22-2011, 01:56
all that and I'm not really a tenter-been hanging for years now-but this tent is so neat in design and you never know when a tent might come in handy.

Yeah, I've been hammocking for years now as well. Just getting back into the tent thing. I've actually started to grow a little tired of hammocking... mainly it's the not being able to bring all my gear into the hammock with me like I would a tent that's been bugging me.

verber
01-22-2011, 02:15
I used the first generation "The One" found a couple of years, and wrote up a first look at the lightheart solo awning (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/reviews/lightheart-soloawning.html) prototype that Judy let me play with. I would choice the lightheart solo awning in cuben.

--Mark

BrianLe
01-22-2011, 04:23
"You know you use hiking poles with the Lighheart but if you go with the awning you'll carry a separate pole just for it."

I've ordered a cuben Lightheart solo awning tent, but don't plan to bring a separate pole. Sometimes I'll be hiking with another fellow that uses a tent with its own poles, so perhaps I'll be able to borrow a pole from him at night. Or find a useful stick, nearby tree, something to hold the awning up. Or I'll just do without the awning feature when nothing is available.

I just reckon that it will be nice to have the awning when I'm able to use it. The only time I'll really want it is when there's a fair bit of rain and I want to heat water for dinner.

mykl
01-22-2011, 13:22
I used the first generation "The One" found a couple of years, and wrote up a first look at the lightheart solo awning (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/reviews/lightheart-soloawning.html) prototype that Judy let me play with. I would choice the lightheart solo awning in cuben.

--Mark
From the look of the demonstration video in the link, it looks to me that you, your shoes and the inside of the tent was soaked (if it was raining) by the time you got in. Not to mention getting your rain gear off.

verber
01-22-2011, 14:29
From the look of the demonstration video in the link, it looks to me that you, your shoes and the inside of the tent was soaked (if it was raining) by the time you got in. Not to mention getting your rain gear off.

doing this wearing a rain jacket meant that the rain jacket came in with me and did drip inside. Of course, that's an issue with most tents since few have a large enough vestibule to take off your jacket before entering the tent body.

As for the shoes getting wet... they normally would already be soaked from hiking in the rain. That said, if they were mostly dry before I started the process, they stayed that way.

No water (other than dripping from the jacket) came inside while entering or existing. Judy generally recommends going two doors with the awning so if you have it closed down, you don't have the extra work my video showed.

I would also note, that unless the winds are really high, the awning would be extended, nor pitched down. Entry and exit and much easier, and there is enough room to remote a rain jacket before entering the tent if you are careful.

--Mark

Roots
01-22-2011, 14:35
The One is a great tent. I always thought I would love to have one until I discovered the Lightheart tents. The single Lightheart is a 1+ person. There is TONS of room in that tent. Not to mention the different options you have for it, like Medicine Man mentioned. We have the Lightheart Duo and adore it! We took it out this past October for a 5 day trip. It held up amazingly against some really foul weather. Not to mention how much room we had in it, which was great when we were tent bound one morning waiting for the weather to clear. Heartfire gives amazing customer service as well. HIGHLY suggest the Lightheart!:sun

10-K
01-22-2011, 14:41
There are so many great tents I could easily become a tent collector.

I've got a Lunar Duo, Lunar Solo, and my new favorite - A Tarptent Rainbow.

I'd like to have a Lightheart cuban w/ awning.

I'm anxious to see what Six Moon Designs is going to announce next week - I'm sure it'll be awesome.

mountainman
01-22-2011, 19:05
I have the Lightheart Solo. I solved the problem of the poles moveing during wind.
I used 2 large saftey pins on the two 1 inch straps in the top where the plastic tube can go through

HeartFire
01-22-2011, 19:46
I have the Lightheart Solo. I solved the problem of the poles moveing during wind.
I used 2 large saftey pins on the two 1 inch straps in the top where the plastic tube can go through

I have been convinced of the need for the velcro :rolleyes:.. It goes in all tents now.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Tinker
01-22-2011, 23:00
I have been convinced of the need for the velcro :rolleyes:.. It goes in all tents now.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Thank you.:)