PDA

View Full Version : Bounce Box Contents

cameronjreed
01-21-2011, 15:42
I have a question for all the nice folks at WB. I am curious.... What kind of stuff did you have in your bounce box along the AT? What things did you wish you had? What things did you never use?

Thanks

Sickmont
01-21-2011, 15:47
I recommend putting the piano in your bounce box. You certainly dont want to be lugging that thing down the trail on your back, would ya?

Ender
01-21-2011, 15:47
I used it for extra contact solution, guide books for further up the trail, gear that I would only need in certain sections of the trail (ice axe), books that I picked up but wasn't ready to read yet... that sort of thing.

Blissful
01-21-2011, 15:59
I'd skip it. I used it in '07, none in my last SOBO. Its not needed.

wrongway_08
01-21-2011, 16:41
Its great for food up north, the post offices are in the towns by hostels - the food stores are not.

Save yourself a lot of time and hostel by bounce'n food up the last stretch.

Spokes
01-21-2011, 17:34
Great point Wrongway 08! I did that too.

Mostly I included hard to find travel size items like toothpaste, hand sanitizers, etc. I also threw in a couple extra homemade alcohol stoves (one lasted me the entire trip!), Body Glide, small notebooks for journaling, extra pens, batteries, extra platypus, replacement bite valve, vitamins, sub lingual b6/b12, astragalus, 100% DEET, extra trash compactor bag, 2mm cord, ....... You get the picture.

I pre-bought several Hallmark cards and mailed them to family and friends at various points along the way just to say thanks or to give an update. They appreciated the personal notes from the trail.

Cheers!

Pommes
01-21-2011, 17:37
I believe in the carrot in front of the donkey approach. Send things ahead that you really really want. So you have to walk to get it. Like.....

Crown Royal
Weed
Taiwanese Hooker

Don't judge! HYOH

Awol1970
01-21-2011, 19:05
lol @ taiwanese hooker. Now that right there is funny.

Kerosene
01-21-2011, 19:12
Here are a few other ideas, depending on your needs:

a phone charger
an extra SIMM card (just in case you can't find an Internet connection to download your in-camera photos)
small amounts of "replacement fluids" such as soap, hand sanitizer, no-rinse shampoo, olive oil, et al
perhaps town clothes you can wear while you launder all your other clothes
even a portable keyboard if you flesh out your daily notes while in town

StormBird
01-21-2011, 19:28
I'd skip it. I used it in '07, none in my last SOBO. Its not needed.

agreed! The only drop boxes I needed on my NOBO thru were to get my summer gear in Pearisburg, VA and my winter gear in Glencliff, NH

wrongway_08
01-21-2011, 19:38
Due to price of the following items and sometimes hard to find items:
- I bounced down wash for the down sleeping bag/jacket and pants.
- 2 fuel canisters (yes, you can mail these, you need a special label from the ups site.)
- febreeze .... Spray down pack at night and it smells decent for a few days...
- hard to get food.
- spare parts
- extra sleeping bag (20 or 40 degree, depending on area.)
- maps .... keep family from having to deal with it.

other stuff like q-tips and wipes, toliet paper ..

Was nice to know I didn't have to go looking for stuff I really wanted or needed. Also kept me from payn $7.50 for a $4.00 fuel canister and high prices on other goods up north.

Desert Reprobate
01-21-2011, 20:52
Prescription Medicines