PDA

View Full Version : best warm and functioning glove

freemarie
01-21-2011, 17:47
Wanting a super warm and dry glove for thru hike.

Has anyone used the smart wool glove liners as normal gloves?

Skidsteer
01-21-2011, 18:28
Wanting a super warm and dry glove for thru hike.

Has anyone used the smart wool glove liners as normal gloves?

That's what I use. In Winter I add heavier wool gloves or mittens that fit over them plus a waterproof overmitt.

This layering system works very well.

NiteRaven
01-25-2011, 01:29
I was looking for a thin pair of gloves that still provide warmth. Do you mean functioning as in you can do work in them? Thermolite is a really warm fabric used in some sleeping bag liners, using the same idea I found these gloves on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermolite-Glove-Liners-Black-Large/dp/B002HSPYZ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1295933240&sr=8-3

mweinstone
01-25-2011, 02:09
rag wool fingerless gloves under raggwool mittens under shell mittens. use one or all. the fingerless gloves can get you thru alot of temps. mostly gloves arent needed as much as one might think thruhiking. light gloves are to hard to put on and off. use mitts alone or with fingerless underneath for best results. most folks have a bit too much glove on a thruhike. its suprising how little there needed.unlike skiing or biking in the cold.

leaftye
01-25-2011, 03:18
Convertible mittens. You can get full finger dexterity while keeping most of your hand protected, and then flip the cover over to get warmth that a glove cannot match. The last time I saw them was at Target in the mens section under the Champion brand name. I don't remember the price. REI has some on their website, but they seem way more expensive than I remember.