PDA

View Full Version : EMS Women's Mountain Lite

EBC
01-21-2011, 18:41
Hi everyone! First time poster here. I'm planning a two-part thru-hike from HF>ME then HF>GA, starting in mid June. :banana Anyone else done this?

I've been lurking around WhiteBlaze for some time and assembling my gear. Only the Big Three are left now and it's time to make some big decisions! :eek: I have not been able to find any opinions/experiences on this EMS bag (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3781137&clickid=cart). It's a smoking deal on what appears be a perfectly adequate bag, and the price point is extremely seductive. I'm otherwise considering a FF Swallow with an extra ounce or two of fill (which costs over twice this one for hardly any weight savings). Worth it? :-?

WhoDey
01-21-2011, 19:36
I do not have any experience but by looking at the specs it seems like it would be a pretty good bag. A similar WM bag uses 16oz of 850+ fill and WM bags tend to be true to their rating. The EMS bag may not keep you warm alone down to 20* but it should do alright in the mid to high 20s. When is your start date because you may need a warmer bag than 20?

EBC
01-21-2011, 19:52
Starting NOBO at harper's ferry mid June, then flopping SOBO from HF to Springer. I should be finishing up around early November.

LIhikers
01-21-2011, 21:16
I've met several people out on trails that had EMS Mountain Light sleeping bags. They were all happy with them and said that the bag was warm and true to it's rating.

tiptoe
01-22-2011, 17:40
I have an older version of the EMS Mountain Lite 20 degree bag and use it for my summer section hikes. I'm an extremely cold sleeper, and it wouldn't keep me warm much below 40 degrees, probably, but it's a well made bag, it's light in weight, and it works well in my hammock. If I get too hot, I just unzip it.

Snowleopard
01-22-2011, 20:03
I have an old Feathered Friends Hummingbird (20F) and an EMS Mountain Light winter bag (-20F). The FF is great. The EMS is pretty good. The DWR shell on my EMS is Pertex Quantum Endurance -- water bounces off it!! The +20F bags seem to have what they call Pertex ripstop; it's not clear what this is, maybe just a heavier version of Quantum maybe not as good. The only difference that the shell fabric makes is that maybe you'll have to be a little more careful about spills.

I would guess their warmth is similar. The EMS seems to be a better deal and should work for you. EMS also has a very liberal return policy, so if it didn't seem good enough you could return it. If money is not a consideration, FF makes great stuff.

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 07:37
I have an EMS Mountain Light 0* that I used on the PCT and have been using for winter backpacking for 10 years and it is still going strong and looks and works great. The rating seems good as I just used it as a quilt over me and my therorest in 6" of snow @ 9*F and sleep warm and great. I bought a second one just because the price was right and layed it away in the closet...the first one still has years of use in it. Good bag!

geek

EBC
01-30-2011, 01:00
Thanks for your help, everyone. The bag looks great on my living room floor! :p Anticipating many cozy (if not pain free) nights on the trail in this baby.