PDA

View Full Version : Housatonic river bridges open?

Blackbird
01-22-2011, 14:04
Is the road walk along Dugway Road near Falls Village on the Housatonic River between Water Street, Falls Village still in effect?

Have the bridges been repaired or is it still a roadwalk reroute?

Thanks for any information!

Old Grouse
01-22-2011, 15:00
Yes, the bridge work is finished per Connecticut State Police. I just called the Troop B barracks in North Canaan. As to whether the road walk is no longer the official AT you'd have to contact ATC, I guess.

Blackbird
01-22-2011, 21:40
Thanks!

Although that's pretty ambiguous ...
I'm assuming the work is done, the bridges are passable on foot, but the detour signs are still in place.

I wonder what the ATC knows about it.

Sarcasm the elf
01-22-2011, 22:59
While we're talking about it, who's idea was it to reroute in the first place? Wouldn't it have made more sense to install a "push to walk" button on the traffic light over the bridge during construction? It would seem logical that this would have been cheaper than installing two miles of detour signs, probably safer for the hikers too.

(Sorry, I've had that rant saved up for a couple years now...)

Blackbird
01-23-2011, 01:16
Yeah...
I just saw a photo of the signage for that reroute in someone's trail journal taken this past summer and the white-on-orange blaze markers, direction sign, etc., look to be pretty enduring, as in semi-permanent.

I'm sectioning up through there in April and would like to take the normal route if possible.

tdoczi
01-23-2011, 02:21
Yeah...
I just saw a photo of the signage for that reroute in someone's trail journal taken this past summer and the white-on-orange blaze markers, direction sign, etc., look to be pretty enduring, as in semi-permanent.

I'm sectioning up through there in April and would like to take the normal route if possible.

so take it, no one is going to stop you. ignore the detour signs and follow the white blazes. lotsa people did this even when the bridge was under construction. now that the work is done i really dont see any reason to follow the detour signs, even if they still happen to be up.

Lauriep
01-24-2011, 16:01
David Boone, the Trail Chairs for AMC Connecticut (the official A.T.-maintaining club for this area), says, "the bridge job is done, and the relo is now 'not official,' hikers should use the regular white blazed route as in the guidebook."

Laurie P.
ATC