PDA

View Full Version : Final pack list and weight

-Ghost-
01-22-2011, 18:24
So this is pretty much my finalized pack list. I'm a bit concerned as it was a little heavier than I had expected but I am quite sure thats due to the tent and winter sleeping bag, but I just dont have the money to replace them. The total weight is 22.7 lbs. Obviously without food or water however =/. I know my Atmos 50 can comfortably carry around 35 lbs but I was looking for a 25 lb total, although I may just have to settle on that weight as being more reasonable for when I send my winter gear home. Anyway let me know how it looks. Im not going to put in the weights of each individual piece although I did weigh everything on a small scale in grams. If you have any particular questions about the weights just let me know. How does it look?!

Also just as a side note I included some of the clothing worn in the total weight because i'm sure ill be dressed differently each day depending on weather. So I figured this is the maximum possible weight before food. Included in the total weight are the Cap 1 bottom, Synthetic shirt, Patagonia torrent shell, and toboggan

Pack and Shelter
- Osprey Atmos 50 and pack cover
- MSR Hubba (stakes/poles)
- 3/4 RidgeRest
- Montbell Stretch Downhugger 0 degree

Cooking/Hydration
- MSR 1 liter titanium pot
- Titanium short spork (REI)
- SnowPeak Giga Power stove w/ 2 canisters

- 2 Bic lighters
- Platypus 2 liter bladder
- Platypus 1 liter soft bottle (REI)
- AquaMira drops
- 50ft 1.5mm Z-line cord
- Mini D carabiner

Hygiene
- Cut toothbrush
- Small toothpaste
- Small contact solution
- Contact case
- Hand sanitizer
- MSR Micro pack towel

- First aid kit
- TP

Clothing worn
- Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots
- Synthetic socks
- pair synthetic underwear

- Patagonia Capilene 1 top
- Patagonia Capiene 1 bottom
- Synthetic shirt (REI)
- Quick dry zip off pants
- Patagonia Torrent Shell

Clothing packed
- 1 pair synthetic underwear

- 1 Patagonia Capilene 3 top and bottom
- 2 pairs synthetic socks

- Marmot Precip Rain pants
- Montane down jacket
- Thin pair gloves
- Wool toboggan

Navigation/luxury
- Petzl LED headlamp
- Thru-hiker companion
- Multi-tool
- iPhone and charger
- iPod Nano/headphones
- earplugs
- Camera
- Credit/debit cards and ID/health insurance card
- Sunglasses

Fog Horn
01-22-2011, 19:09
Can the nano charge on the same charger as the iPhone?

-Ghost-
01-22-2011, 19:13
Yeah it can

Luddite
01-22-2011, 19:44
When are you starting?

And maybe add some down booties like Goosefeet.

Pommes
01-22-2011, 22:19
God i wish i had your money at 23.

leaftye
01-22-2011, 22:40
It looks like a decent list.

I might add soap. I like having it for when it's warm and I have the time for a bath, plus it's good for washing clothes too.

Why synthetic socks instead of wool?

What's a toboggan?

I might also switch the Precip pants for tyvek pants. They're only a couple bucks.

Awol1970
01-22-2011, 23:05
What's a toboggan?

It's a snow sled with metal runners:jump

Just kidding. Its a hat.

Blissful
01-22-2011, 23:38
Honesty I don't think you'll need sunglasses. But you can always ship them home. Not sure how contact people feel, but I'd think you'd want a pair of glasses in case the contacts get lost, etc. Not sure how bad your eyes are. I'm blind without my glasses.
Small sunscreen?

Northern Lights
01-23-2011, 01:50
It's a snow sled with metal runners:jump

Just kidding. Its a hat.

Why do you Americans call a toque a toboggan. A toque is a winter hat here, and a toboggan is what we use to slide down snow packed sliding hills. Y'all are crazy I tell ya! :P

leaftye
01-23-2011, 02:11
Ah, it's a beanie.

Gipsy
01-23-2011, 02:21
I would consider leaving the nano put the tunes on your iphone instead. Possibly swap the multi-tool for a "mini" multi-tool. Either Drop 1 fuel canister and purchase more along the way or opt for an esbit solid fuel stove. Just my opinion........ Happy Hiking!

Gipsy
01-23-2011, 02:47
I didn't see any duct tape on the list.

leaftye
01-23-2011, 03:23
I would consider leaving the nano put the tunes on your iphone instead.

I personally wouldn't. If the iPhone doesn't have a reliable sleep feature, unlike its alarm, the battery could be drained in one shot. It doesn't have a removable battery as a backup option either.

I didn't see any duct tape on the list.

Maybe it's part of the first aid kit? I use leukotape instead of duct tape.

takethisbread
01-23-2011, 11:00
I'd lose quite a bit off that. But I like to hike lite.
Although there is not a ton of unnecessary crap here
-where is duct tape? And socks are the most crucial item on the trip. I carried three extra pairs and I envied folks that had more.
-long johns or capilene bottoms I think are a waste unless you are leaving in February or you are a pu$$y.
-multi-tool? Might not need
-The whole book seems unnecessary, perhaps something like the first section seems better.
-first aid kit? Never used one.

Fog Horn
01-23-2011, 11:55
I would consider leaving the nano put the tunes on your iphone instead. Possibly swap the multi-tool for a "mini" multi-tool. Either Drop 1 fuel canister and purchase more along the way or opt for an esbit solid fuel stove. Just my opinion........ Happy Hiking!

I'd carry the extra few ounces to have my music separate. The iPhone in his case will most likely be used for more serious things, like weather apps and maps and journaling and the like. Even with wireless turned off, the iPhone won't last long playing music.

Nano on the other hand gets me through four work days before I have to recharge it. Weighs practically nothing and uses the same charger. No harm no foul.

SwingLow
01-23-2011, 12:09
I hike with medium-lightly tinted sunglasses which also help keep the gnats out of my eyes.

Pioneer Spirit
01-23-2011, 12:46
Why do you Americans call a toque a toboggan. A toque is a winter hat here, and a toboggan is what we use to slide down snow packed sliding hills. Y'all are crazy I tell ya! :P

We always called those hats Toboggans. Toque is a French word so therefore never used. A toboggan sled was simply called a sled.

-Ghost-
01-23-2011, 15:35
Leave March 3rd. Yeah some soap and duct tape are definitely going in there as well. And yes a toboggan is a beanie...not sure why i called it a toboggan in the first place.

And actually the multi-tool is a "mini" multi tool. The Leatherman Micra to be exact.

Thanks for the advice guys!

StormBird
01-23-2011, 15:38
Well, here is my shakedown. Your list looks pretty good. Your base pack weight is not that bad.

So this is pretty much my finalized pack list. I'm a bit concerned as it was a little heavier than I had expected but I am quite sure thats due to the tent and winter sleeping bag, but I just dont have the money to replace them. The total weight is 22.7 lbs. Obviously without food or water however =/. I know my Atmos 50 can comfortably carry around 35 lbs but I was looking for a 25 lb total, although I may just have to settle on that weight as being more reasonable for when I send my winter gear home. Anyway let me know how it looks. Im not going to put in the weights of each individual piece although I did weigh everything on a small scale in grams. If you have any particular questions about the weights just let me know. How does it look?!

Also just as a side note I included some of the clothing worn in the total weight because i'm sure ill be dressed differently each day depending on weather. So I figured this is the maximum possible weight before food. Included in the total weight are the Cap 1 bottom, Synthetic shirt, Patagonia torrent shell, and toboggan

Pack and Shelter
- Osprey Atmos 50 and pack cover
- MSR Hubba (stakes/poles)
- 3/4 RidgeRest
- Montbell Stretch Downhugger 0 degree

Cooking/Hydration
- MSR 1 liter titanium pot
- Titanium short spork (REI)
- SnowPeak Giga Power stove w/ 2 canisters (you only need 1 canister at a time)

- 2 Bic lighters (only need one lighter)
- Platypus 2 liter bladder
- Platypus 1 liter soft bottle (REI)
- AquaMira drops
- 50ft 1.5mm Z-line cord
- Mini D carabiner (what's this for? Just use straps on bag to attach things)

Hygiene
- Cut toothbrush
- Small toothpaste
- Small contact solution
- Contact case
- Hand sanitizer
- MSR Micro pack towel

- First aid kit
- TP

Clothing worn
- Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots
- Synthetic socks
- pair synthetic underwear

- Patagonia Capilene 1 top
- Patagonia Capiene 1 bottom
- Synthetic shirt (REI)
- Quick dry zip off pants
- Patagonia Torrent Shell

Clothing packed
- 1 pair synthetic underwear

- 1 Patagonia Capilene 3 top and bottom
- 2 pairs synthetic socks

- Marmot Precip Rain pants (you may end up dropping these after you start)
- Montane down jacket
- Thin pair gloves
- Wool toboggan

Navigation/luxury
- Petzl LED headlamp
- Thru-hiker companion (don't carry whole book. cut it up into sections and have someone mail them to you)
- Multi-tool
- iPhone and charger
- iPod Nano/headphones
- earplugs
- Camera
- Credit/debit cards and ID/health insurance card
- Sunglasses

TheChop
01-23-2011, 15:54
You're looking pretty good. Don't worry about comparing yourself to guys hiking out with 10-15 pound base weights. Hiking that small is filled with challenges and trade offs. It seems like you've got a good base level of equipment going.

Do a search here for first aid kit threads. A RN posted a great list for a first aid kit. Get a little dry sack and put it in. 6-8 ounces tops I'd say.

The only things I'd add:
Nail clippers (could be in FA kit) Nothing as painful as toenails digging into your toes on downhills.
Alcohol wipes (also FA kit) Keeps the crotch rot at bay.
Cloth tape - Everyone else says duct tape but I'm a big fan of this. My first boots had 2 inch blister capability and this was the only thing that did anything about it.

soulslosher
01-24-2011, 00:52
I don't see trekking poles on your list.. you're going to wish you had them... Just sayin'.

BrianLe
01-24-2011, 04:46
TheChop suggested:

"Nail clippers (could be in FA kit) Nothing as painful as toenails digging into your toes on downhills."

Makes sense, but FWIW I've done fine without nail clippers. On both the AT and PCT there are hostels and trail angel homes and the like where you can occasionally find big toenail clippers in a hiker box. Use 'em, and leave the clippers there for the next person. You don't have to do this too often, toenails don't grow all that fast. Having extra large shoes helps too; I trim my toenails more to keep from cutting holes in my socks than any other reason.

If you can't find toenail clippers along the way, the little scissors on my 22 gram (0.8 oz) Wenger swiss army "esquire" model knife work to trim my finger and even toenails. To do the latter I soak the toenails to soften them a bit first, but this does work.

mark schofield
01-24-2011, 07:26
instead of the two fuel canisters, maybe replace one of the 8 oz. ones with a 4 oz one. I get 10-12 days from one 8 oz canister, boiling water for breakfast and dinner.

JonnyWalker
01-24-2011, 14:15
For a march 3rd start date I would recommend a pair of thick gloves for standing around and thin gloves for hiking. I left march 4th last year and only had a pair of windpro gloves and quite a few times I wished I had a pair of ragwool gloves also for around camp.

Gipsy
01-24-2011, 15:02
Maybe consider swapping rain-wear for an Equinox poncho (long). It would give you a few more options as far as alternating as a spare tarp shelter, groundcloth, wind breaker, footprint, etc. ......as well as being lighter.

play_outside
01-24-2011, 15:58
I'm starting next week at Springer. My packing list looks similar but I am using an MSR Whisperlite Internationale instead. I have a large fuel canister that I plan to fill accordingly depending on how far between fuel stops. Do you think another small emergency canister is necessary?

Are small gloves/mittens necessary?

I've heard reports that crampons may be necessary in the smokies right now, I was hoping to just get by with my hiking boots and some gaiters, think this is adequate?

-Ghost-
01-24-2011, 18:32
Yeah I do need to figure out exactly how much fuel I need to carry. I plan to do a pretty lengthy shakedown trip mid-Feb and sort that out. Thanks for all the responses guys!

Also my Leatherman does have a good pair of scissors on it so I think im going to try that instead of the nail clippers first.

Thanks again!

TheChop
01-24-2011, 18:36
Are small gloves/mittens necessary?

Only if you have small hands.

:D

Sierra Echo
01-24-2011, 18:39
Honesty I don't think you'll need sunglasses. But you can always ship them home. Not sure how contact people feel, but I'd think you'd want a pair of glasses in case the contacts get lost, etc. Not sure how bad your eyes are. I'm blind without my glasses.
Small sunscreen?

You and me both! If i didnt have my contacts in or my glass, I would walk right off the trail!!!! :eek:

kayak karl
01-24-2011, 19:05
For a march 3rd start date I would recommend a pair of thick gloves for standing around and thin gloves for hiking. I left march 4th last year and only had a pair of windpro gloves and quite a few times I wished I had a pair of ragwool gloves also for around camp.
definitely, need warmer gloves as said. if you can get a larger military wool gloves ($8) and slip over others in morn and night.

-Ghost-
01-24-2011, 19:41
Thanks guys! Also what size food/bear bag would you recommend? I was going to get some sort of Sea to Summit dry sack. Maybe 4 or 5 L?

soulslosher
01-25-2011, 09:11
Thanks guys! Also what size food/bear bag would you recommend? I was going to get some sort of Sea to Summit dry sack. Maybe 4 or 5 L?

I use a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack 13L for my food. Call me crazy but a 4L or 5L food bad is way too small.. all those Liptons, bagels, and Snickers take up room.. ;-)

BrianLe
01-25-2011, 11:50
On the topic of "small food bags", a couple of my hiking friends used two smaller food bags rather than one this past year. They liked this approach as it made it easier for them to find things without digging around as much or having to dump out the entire bag each time. In fact what they got were silnylon units that have lateral zippers, so they could very quickly get to what they wanted. Perhaps having two packing units rather than one made it easier to arrange things in the backpack too, at times.

I was a little jealous of this, but I also liked having my Ursack Minor to keep the rodents out. Perhaps they were jealous in turn when I just grabbed my food bag from beside me to have a midnight snack or to start eating in the morning without having to get too much out of the sleeping bag.

-Ghost-
01-26-2011, 17:19
On the topic of "small food bags", a couple of my hiking friends used two smaller food bags rather than one this past year. They liked this approach as it made it easier for them to find things without digging around as much or having to dump out the entire bag each time. In fact what they got were silnylon units that have lateral zippers, so they could very quickly get to what they wanted. Perhaps having two packing units rather than one made it easier to arrange things in the backpack too, at times.

I was a little jealous of this, but I also liked having my Ursack Minor to keep the rodents out. Perhaps they were jealous in turn when I just grabbed my food bag from beside me to have a midnight snack or to start eating in the morning without having to get too much out of the sleeping bag.

I was actually considering that before you posted and I think I'll go with it. Got 2 5L Sea to Summit Ultra Sil dry sacks for food. Thanks for the reply!

leaftye
01-26-2011, 17:31
My solution for food convenience was to take out all my food for the day and place it into a gallon size ziplock. I would put that in my front mesh pocket. That wasn't the best place to put it for weight balance reasons...I'll move it to my main pack compartment when I switch my foam-hybrid pad to an inflatable....although this would become an issue again when carrying a bear canister.