PDA

View Full Version : who can you eat on a thruhike?

mweinstone
01-22-2011, 23:34
with just a clubbing stick, what defencless animals can you legaly club and roast in what parts of the trail? surely a squrill can be clubbed and eaten? no?

Fog Horn
01-22-2011, 23:35
Day hikers?

Club them and steal their food?

Old Hiker
01-23-2011, 00:04
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57945&highlight=cannibal

Trailryder42
01-23-2011, 01:49
Ehh. You have to get too close with a club. Start practicing your rock throwing skills. Or take a wrist rocket.

MedicineMan
01-23-2011, 02:26
limb chicken for sure.

leaftye
01-23-2011, 02:38
Wood fires of any kind are banned on much of the PCT, so clubbing day hikers for a meal isn't always legal.

fehchet
01-23-2011, 05:41
Another asinine thread from ..........

MedicineMan
01-23-2011, 06:06
asinine or theatre of the absurd. Let there be humor in the hills :)

fehchet
01-23-2011, 06:18
asinine or theatre of the absurd. Let there be humor in the hills :)

Call it what you will MedicineMan. I for one do not condone making humor out of clubbing animals to death. Absurd: yes -- asinine: definitely -- theater: no.

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 06:43
baby highlands pony...tastes just like Bald Eagle!

geek

Smile
01-23-2011, 07:28
Fehchet: I for one do not condone making humor out of clubbing animals to death. Absurd: yes -- asinine: definitely -- theater: no.

Ahhhh, a refreshing voice of reason :)

Lone Wolf
01-23-2011, 07:32
so this baby seal walks into a club....

Smile
01-23-2011, 07:36
crap I laughed out loud at that one and didn't mean to.....
Good morning LW. :)

Lone Wolf
01-23-2011, 07:39
mornin' :D

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 07:45
LW, that was great! Been up most of the night run'in ambulance calls...I needed that!

geek

Awol1970
01-23-2011, 08:04
Ponies taste like eagles was funny too.

MedicineMan
01-23-2011, 08:08
going out on a limb here. I'd bet tha an Inuit-after clubbing 50 or so seals to death might sit back, light up a smoke and tell a joke or two. Horror to one, a days work to another. A clubbing stick to Matty, a mirror into the soul for others...ain't life relative.

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 08:55
Call it what you will MedicineMan. I for one do not condone making humor out of clubbing animals to death. Absurd: yes -- asinine: definitely -- theater: no.
Killjoy

Way too serious fehchet

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 08:57

I always considered it so much more humane than clubbing people!

geek

fehchet
01-23-2011, 09:15
I always considered it so much more humane than clubbing people!

geek

Really? So clubbing animals is humane? Where does "humane" enter when killing a human or an animal with a club?

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 09:31
I'm guessing you wouldn't be the best person to go to a comedy club with. ;)

jerseydave
01-23-2011, 09:44
Take the following and put all in a locked room for a LONG time.

1) Devoted lover of all things living

2) Cutest fuzzy bunny you ever did see

3) A heavy stick

In the end, only one of those things will remain unchanged.

Brilliant thread

Don't fight nature

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 10:02
[QUOTE=fehchet;1099871]Really? So clubbing animals is humane? Where does "humane" enter when killing a human or an animal with a club?[/QUO

Untie that boat anchor from your a$$ and smile...this is all in jest.

geek

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 10:04
good thread Matty

geek

Lone Wolf
01-23-2011, 10:08
good thread Matty

it won't last long

jcazz
01-23-2011, 10:13
dog the other white meat........lots of explorers ate them on expeditions

Jim Adams
01-23-2011, 10:20
Actually most dog is red meat....but tasty.lol

geek

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-23-2011, 10:21
Take the following and put all in a locked room for a LONG time.

1) Devoted lover of all things living

2) Cutest fuzzy bunny you ever did see

3) A heavy stick

In the end, only one of those things will remain unchanged.

Brilliant thread

Don't fight nature

Good critical thinking! Here is a picture of me with a "welcome sign" mounted on a big stick... it lures in a lot of unsuspecting critters! :welcome

10-K
01-23-2011, 10:26
Even better, put 2 people and a stick in a long room and wait a LONG time.....

Same conclusion

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-23-2011, 10:29
:eek:...put two stickmen in a room and...

Johnny Thunder
01-23-2011, 10:38
or two men in a stick room

LoneRidgeRunner
01-23-2011, 10:39
with just a clubbing stick, what defencless animals can you legaly club and roast in what parts of the trail? surely a squrill can be clubbed and eaten? no?

I'd have to be pretty hungry to eat one of them "bushy tailed rats".... rabbits or deer.... especially deer ..yep now I'll definitely eat them ... only thing is..when I used to deer hunt I did good to kill one with my .30-'06..much less walk up to it and club it...lol.. I have had deer within 3 feet of me in the Smokies though and they showed no fear at all..but probably shouldn't get caught clubbin a deer in the Smokies ....

jerseydave
01-23-2011, 10:51
..but probably shouldn't get caught ....

I find that's key in many circumstances.... "don't get caught" :D

mweinstone
01-23-2011, 11:13
senario question,
two beautiful bouncing conjoined twin brothers are happily hiking with mom and dad.
fetchit is hiking twords them as a rattler coils and rattels ready to strike the boys. his quick clubbing saves the boys lives. can the snake be dinner legaly?

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-23-2011, 11:19
gotta love ya matty!

Transient Being
01-23-2011, 14:20
Check this out! Bon apetite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

Old Hillwalker
01-23-2011, 14:37
Well let's see: If Vegetarians eat vegetables and I'm a Humanitarian, I guess I can eat humans.

Awol1970
01-23-2011, 14:39
Clubbing an animal before slaughter is actually very humane. Just watched an episode of "Conviction Kitchen" where the chef did just that to a lamb before cutting its throat.

I'm assuming the dissenter fehchet is a vegan. 'Cause if she is not she has much to learn about where her food comes from.:rolleyes:

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 14:54
They're all vegetables after ya club 'em.

enurdat1
01-23-2011, 15:09
:-?Cat! Train them to walk on a leash during the off season, then a couple of day hikes to get them used to being on the trail. Shave before you leave for your thru, and off you go. They carry themselves, always fresh, and right there when you're hungry. They'll also curl up on the foot of your bag at night and keep your feet warm.

waywardfool
01-23-2011, 17:30
I am a second-tier vegetarian. Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Did you know that if you hit a kitten between the eyes with a ball-peen hammer, it won't blink?

hobbs
01-23-2011, 17:50
patient- I think Iam a chicken
Doctor - What do you mean you think your a chicken?
Patient-I think Iam a chicken
Doctor- How long has this been going on?
Patient- As long as I'v been an Egg!

Smile
01-23-2011, 17:53
The wind blew so hard the other day that one of our hens laid the same egg three times...

LoneRidgeRunner
01-23-2011, 18:35
The wind blew so hard the other day that one of our hens laid the same egg three times...

:eek::D Now THAT'S a lotta wind!

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-23-2011, 18:42
meat is murder... tasty, tasty murder!

Awol1970
01-23-2011, 18:45
They're all vegetables after ya club 'em.

That right there is funny. I just choked on my ribeye.

Luddite
01-23-2011, 18:55
dog the other white meat........lots of explorers ate them on expeditions

cannibals say humans taste like pork.

weary
01-23-2011, 19:45
No death is funny, especially violent death from being clubbed. Yeah I know that's how most of the cows, bulls, steers, pigs, lambs, and goats are killed. It doesn't make violent death funny. It just eases the way the human race has chosen to feed itself.

I must confess I'm thinking more about death these days as I approach birthday number 82. I just left 7 days in the hospital where they discovered a growth on my spleen. I go back in tomorrow while the docs guess whether the growth is isolated or not. If they don't find any related growth the plan is to remove the spleen -- a relatively easy operation. If they do find evidence that it all began elsewhere, the plan is to treat all of the evidence with chemicals.

I'm sort of indifferent, one way or the other. I suspect I've already accomp-lished most of the useful things I'm going to accomplish. And they tell me we all have to go at some point -- even Mattie, sad as that may be to think about.

Hoot
01-23-2011, 20:05
aint clubin/eating bigfoots legaL in most states? and chupacobra's? and Jersey Devils i think are legal in most parts, not sure about E.T's though at all.

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 20:09
That right there is funny. I just choked on my ribeye.
It can be dangerous to read some of our posts while consuming food.

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 20:15
No death is funny, especially violent death from being clubbed. Yeah I know that's how most of the cows, bulls, steers, pigs, lambs, and goats are killed. It doesn't make violent death funny. It just eases the way the human race has chosen to feed itself.

I must confess I'm thinking more about death these days as I approach birthday number 82. I just left 7 days in the hospital where they discovered a growth on my spleen. I go back in tomorrow while the docs guess whether the growth is isolated or not. If they don't find any related growth the plan is to remove the spleen -- a relatively easy operation. If they do find evidence that it all began elsewhere, the plan is to treat all of the evidence with chemicals.

I'm sort of indifferent, one way or the other. I suspect I've already accomp-lished most of the useful things I'm going to accomplish. And they tell me we all have to go at some point -- even Mattie, sad as that may be to think about.

So is there a truly humane way of slaughtering any living creature? I ask this knowing that you're an educated, thoughtful person. You know that we are inherently a vicious predatory species. We've sanitized life, and ourselves quite a bit, but the reality of procuring our food hasn't really changed - we've just distanced most of our kind from the brutal hands-on aspect of it. We kill and we consume plants and animals for our own survival. We only think we're above nature.

rickb
01-23-2011, 20:24
So is there a truly humane way of slaughtering any living creature? I ask this knowing that you're an educated, thoughtful person. You know that we are inherently a vicious predatory species. We've sanitized life, and ourselves quite a bit, but the reality of procuring our food hasn't really changed - we've just distanced most of our kind from the brutal hands-on aspect of it. We kill and we consume plants and animals for our own survival. We only think we're above nature.

Weary will likely have a different answer, but IMHO the lack of humanity you allude to is largely how we treat living creatures before they are slaughtered.

Some places do a better job than others addressing that inhumanity, including Whole Foods-- that supermarket chain best know for being founded and run by a thru hiker!

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 20:39
In the final analysis, we kill and eat other living things, be they animal or vegetable. We breed and raise stuff for the sole purpose of killing it and eating it. Ya just can't make it warm and fuzzy except to those who CHOOSE not to see the rather brutal reality of our own existence. We are vicious creatures - the most successful predator on the planet. That's our real nature.

enurdat1
01-23-2011, 20:52
We are vicious creatures - the most successful predator on the planet. That's our real nature.
This is so very true.Not just in the food chain, but overall. I have never seen anything more savage, ruthless, cruel, or evil than a human. I've been an ER and flight nurse, and paramedic for the last 21 yrs, and would rather take on a pissed off Grizzly mama than some of the people I have encountered in the world.

But back to the thread, a little garlic and hot sauce on anything, and I'll swear it taste like chicken!:)

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 21:01
This is so very true.Not just in the food chain, but overall. I have never seen anything more savage, ruthless, cruel, or evil than a human. I've been an ER and flight nurse, and paramedic for the last 21 yrs, and would rather take on a pissed off Grizzly mama than some of the people I have encountered in the world.

But back to the thread, a little garlic and hot sauce on anything, and I'll swear it taste like chicken!:)
Back to the original thread question, "who can you eat on a thru-hike". I thought about this at length, and if I give the answer I'd like to I'll get locked in the WB privy for another week.

mweinstone
01-23-2011, 21:08
senario question:
fetchet and me are pinned down in the 100 mile wilderness
weeks go by with no hope of resque. fetchet is weak and insists i eat her. the inquasision, do they put me in jail?

mweinstone
01-23-2011, 21:09
i mean cause all her relitives are vegan,...

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 21:17
senario question:
fetchet and me are pinned down in the 100 mile wilderness
weeks go by with no hope of resque. fetchet is weak and insists i eat her. the inquasision, do they put me in jail?

i mean cause all her relitives are vegan,...
I think fehchet is not a "her". Profile says "Tim" is a baker. He probably made you into a Matty Pot Pie a week ago.

Luddite
01-23-2011, 21:29
we've just distanced most of our kind from the brutal hands-on aspect of it.

Very true.

mweinstone
01-23-2011, 21:35
is wearys brains worth more to one canible island than another? or is the price of brains fixed like milk? the reason i ask is cause hes the old wise one of us. they want him! bad!im thinkin theres more than one thru hike in him. whos in? lets place an add in 5th world canible countrys. seriously, if they invent a way to sell years to old guys for bucks like in that old twilight zone episode, how much you got old man?

matthewski love wearyhead.oxoxoxooxoxooxoxox.dino wraps tail around wearys doctors and squeezes a threatening death grip warning the would be wear savers not to fuch up. they answer to us.

and weary,..use the marker. outline the spleen and write ,"cut along dotted line" bastards cant be trusted. use the marker weary. the bingo marker.

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 21:58
There's some things they just don't got a pill for yet . . .

01-24-2011, 00:20
The only difference between an animal and a plant is that animals at least have a fighting chance. To me a vegetarian is crueler than a omnivore or carnivore since they only pick on and eat defenseless creatures. :(

Imagine being lettuce. You are just sitting in a field soaking up some sun when all of a sudden some person comes up and whacks your head off, drowns you in water, suffocates you in a plastic bag and sticks you in a refrigerator. :confused:

:eek: ok vegans, please put down the juicer and calm down.

Sarcasm Disclaimer: The above mentioned statement does not contain any factual information and was an attempt at humor. Your inability to distinguish my sarcasm from an actual statement of fact(s) does not constitute an illegal breach of etiquette and releases said party from any further accusations. Now smile, it was a joke.:D :banana :p

Jim Adams
01-24-2011, 17:03

Weary,
Praying for you. Hope all goes well. As Matty stated...you are the wise one and yes, use the bingo marker!

geek

Luddite
01-24-2011, 17:11
:eek: ok vegans, please put down the juicer and calm down.

p

why don't you put down your juicer you condescending carnivore.

just a joke hahaha :D:D:banana:banana;)

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 17:18
when vegans are hiking and a bug goes down there throat, do they have a memorial service or puck and resusitate or what? vegans best line,"i dont eat anything that had parents"lol.

hikerboy57
01-24-2011, 17:23
good point , matt. even plants have a male and female. maybe they eat rocks?