PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag Cooking Without The Bag

Don H
01-22-2011, 23:51
Anyone ever tried the FBC method while leaving the food in its original bag?
I cooked a Knorrs Rice Sides the other day in the original package. I just cut the bad as close to the top as possible, poured in the boiling water, folded the top over and paper clipped in closed. Wrapped it in a towel and waited 15 minutes. Rice turned out fine and I didn't have to waste a freezer bag. Sure seems this would be a lot easier than opening packages and transferring the contents into plastic bags. Less fuss and waste.

Tinker
01-22-2011, 23:53
Yes. It works. Do you get more chemicals from the Knorr bag than you do from the freezer bag? I don't know. I feel better using my cook pot and saving all those plastic trees. ;)

Hikes in Rain
01-23-2011, 09:51
Took some dehydrated hash browns to make a Mountain Man breakfast on an overnighter one time. Figured I could use boiling water to rehydrate them prior to cooking (following the directions) by pouring the water into the bag. Didn't realize it was just paper. It disintegrated instantly. We scooped enough off the pile to make breakfast, but lesson learned.

couscous
01-23-2011, 09:58
My sons usually have Lipton noodle or rice dinners and just pour the hot water into the package, fold down the top and let sit for 5-8 minutes, then eat right out of the package.

lori
01-23-2011, 11:23
I use a reflectix covered ziploc container or an insulated mug so I can keep the bags clean for next trip. Since I make and bag my own food, I don't have manufacturer's packing to repurpose.

Procras108r
01-23-2011, 22:36
My sons usually have Lipton noodle or rice dinners and just pour the hot water into the package, fold down the top and let sit for 5-8 minutes, then eat right out of the package.

I will do this as well. First, I will shake the bag upside down so all of the powders and spices get untrapped from the bag's bottom corners. This makes the powder and spices easier to dissolve and decreases the unpleasant spoonfuls of two noodles and a tablespoon of salt.

Don H
01-23-2011, 23:58
I will do this as well. First, I will shake the bag upside down so all of the powders and spices get untrapped from the bag's bottom corners. This makes the powder and spices easier to dissolve and decreases the unpleasant spoonfuls of two noodles and a tablespoon of salt.

Great tip, shake before opening!

Procras108r
01-24-2011, 13:19
Yes Don, before openning. Shake the Knorr's upside down or better yet, carry it that way. Now, when you open the package, the powders and spices are sitting on top of the noodles or rice. More of the powders and spices will get dissolved fully.

Simply, add enough hot water to cover the mixture and then a small amount more. Fold over the package and wait five minutes. Squeeze the package to feel if it is done. A mushy feel means the water has not been completely absorbed. Works for me. Rice does much better than noodles. Just remember to cut the bag as high as you possibly can so you have enough to fold it.

Don H
01-24-2011, 17:58
Hikes in Rain has a good point, you should only do this with the right kind of packaging. I tried it once with oatmeal and the wax lining ended up in my breakfast.

Turtle Feet
01-24-2011, 18:14
Knorrs noodles cook thru enough? What about the sauce does that thicken too???

Slosteppin
01-24-2011, 20:48
I use a variation of freezer bag cooking. I make and dehydrate soup frequently during the winter. The single servings are stored in quart freezer bags in the freezer.
When I'm backpacking I boil the water but I would prefer to eat out of a cup or bowl. So I pour the dehydrated soup into my cup or bowl, pour in the hot water and insulate for about 15 minutes. The bowl or cup and spoon take very little hot water to clean. When I get home I wash the freezer bags to use again.

Don H
01-24-2011, 22:16
Knorrs noodles cook thru enough? What about the sauce does that thicken too???

The noodles cook OK but the sauce has a tendency to not thicken like it does when you simmer it. I stay away from the Knorrs Pasta Sides and go mostly with the rice ones. Also instant potatoes and Stove Top Stuffing work well. Of course the stuffing needs to be repackaged, unless you can eat a whole box!

Miner
01-24-2011, 22:20
Some packages work fine for adding boiling water, but I always carry a few extra freezer bags, just in case.

Procras108r
01-24-2011, 22:53
Don, if I am hungry enough, I can eat Knorr's noodles as a FBC. It always seems the noodles taste like a doughy paste. Do they seem the same to you....or do you have a suggestion to overcome this?

Farr Away
01-25-2011, 11:38
Don, if I am hungry enough, I can eat Knorr's noodles as a FBC. It always seems the noodles taste like a doughy paste. Do they seem the same to you....or do you have a suggestion to overcome this?

Precooking, rinsing, then dehydrating the noodles can get rid of the pastiness. It does require more effort ahead of time.

-FA

One Half
01-30-2011, 00:15
I tried this at home the other night with a bow tie noodle side. First off, there was barely enough room for all the water. I stood it up in a pan to keep it from tipping over. Waited more than 15 minutes and it was still no where near cooked. I can't imagine waiting for it to cook after a long day of hiking on a cool/cold night. I finally reverted to boiling it in the pan and then ate it.

Maybe a different style would work better. Something with a smaller noodle?

What do you guys pay for these? I bought one at my local grocery chain and think I paid about $2. Found them at Walmart for $1 tonight. I am not a regular Walmart shopper so I was surprised.

Don H
01-30-2011, 18:13

I just eat it however it turns out which is as you described a "doughy paste" with runny sauce. Mmm, Mmm Good!.

QiWiz
01-30-2011, 18:42
Seems like for the lack of a pot to clean, many folks put up with incompletely hydrated and cooked food, potential chemicals leached from plastic bags or package liners, and heavier trash to pack out.

I'll stick with my pot. Cook the food completely, eat the food, scrape as best I can with my spork, then use whatever hot drink I'm drinking to suspend uneaten food particles and drink those down (human "sumping"). Pot ends up almost completely clean and next meal's boiling water sterilizes it. No gummy food in the corners of bags creating a heavier trash bundle over several days.

Just my 2 sense. :D

Don H
01-30-2011, 19:07
The only food I have a problem with cooking is the pasta meals, so I just avoid them.

Chemicals being leached into the food from freezer bags has been discussed here before. If I recall it was largely discounted. I don't think there's much difference between pouring hot water in a Knorr's Rice bag or a Mountain House dehydrated dinner bag.

If I'm eating out of the original package how am I creating heavier or more trash?

I find it easier and more convenient.

The great thing about hiking is you get to do it you own way.

sarbar
01-30-2011, 22:48
You have more to worry about the crap in the packaged side dishes than the method used to cook it. Seriously.....they are over priced bags of salt and MSG. :p

Miner
01-31-2011, 19:35
When I'm hiking a long trail, too much salt is never an issue. I find that I have to add salt to my diet in warm weather.

sarbar
01-31-2011, 23:26
When I'm hiking a long trail, too much salt is never an issue. I find that I have to add salt to my diet in warm weather.

You might be surprised that it isn't salt but rather potassium and other electrolytes that you crave.......

You might also be surprised that you can hike on a controlled sodium diet as well.

The typical diet most Americans consume has plenty of sodium...no need to add more. We could all cut back without issue as well.

mweinstone
01-31-2011, 23:50
does cooking in the plastic bags i wear in my boots save weight?

Sarcasm the elf
02-01-2011, 00:19

Brilliant! You could also save on cooking time by pre-soaking the food while you hike.

icreek
02-13-2011, 12:16
Seems like for the lack of a pot to clean, many folks put up with incompletely hydrated and cooked food, potential chemicals leached from plastic bags or package liners, and heavier trash to pack out.

I'll stick with my pot. Cook the food completely, eat the food, scrape as best I can with my spork, then use whatever hot drink I'm drinking to suspend uneaten food particles and drink those down (human "sumping"). Pot ends up almost completely clean and next meal's boiling water sterilizes it. No gummy food in the corners of bags creating a heavier trash bundle over several days.

Just my 2 sense. :D

I like the way you think. As I am new getting into this lots of good information to read on, and always wonder about the chemicals in those plastic bags.

Don H
02-13-2011, 15:59

Toe cheese and rice for dinner?