PDA

View Full Version : External Frame Pack?

Hykin Bklyn
01-23-2011, 15:31
Trying to figure out the best pack to take on my upcoming NOBO thru-hike. I don't have the money to make the switch to all ultralight gear. So to some degree have to go with what I have already. I know an external frame pack sounds super old-school and heavy, but the Kelty Trekker 3900 is the most comfortable pack I've tried on. Any supporters out there?

sixguns01
01-23-2011, 15:38
Trying to figure out the best pack to take on my upcoming NOBO thru-hike. I don't have the money to make the switch to all ultralight gear. So to some degree have to go with what I have already. I know an external frame pack sounds super old-school and heavy, but the Kelty Trekker 3900 is the most comfortable pack I've tried on. Any supporters out there?

I love Kelty external frame packs. Still have the one I started with and I still pull it out for winter treks. I have never thru hiked with it but have used it up to two weeks at a time. Comfy-

If you're looking for an internal- I suggest Osprey. Have an Aether 85 which was two lbs lighter than my external and just as comfy.

If money is an issue, check eBay, the Selling and Buying forums here, and Backpackinglight.com's Gear Swap. I upgraded all my gear using those three sites by selling my older heavier gear and buying lighter newer versions at amazing prices.

my 2 cents

couscous
01-23-2011, 15:41
It's paid for, comfortable, and has lots of pockets. I wouldn't worry about what others think unless they offer to carry it for you.

CrumbSnatcher
01-23-2011, 16:57
can't say i've tried the trekker 3900
i have always enjoyed my kelty super tioga though. the externals keep the weight off the shoulders and onto the hips. i will gladly except the extra 2-3 pounds of the externals weight to make the overall load, ride better and actually feel lighter even if its not
& all the pockets and the way they ride, second to none!
IMO---- go with it!

CrumbSnatcher
01-23-2011, 16:58
WELCOME TO WB!:cool:

Toolshed
01-23-2011, 18:41
Plenty have carried Ex Frames and love them. I still use mine. Just need to get used to the squeaks. If it fits and feels comfortable. Hike on!!!!

Hykin Bklyn
01-23-2011, 20:30
Thanks for the input everyone. You can drive yourself nuts wondering about all of the other options out there.

ATBob
01-23-2011, 20:37
I've been using a Kelty external frame pack for 1620 miles on the AT. There are a few others out there too. People only have good things to say about these packs. Enjoy.
Tattoo

Jim Adams
01-24-2011, 17:27
I used an external in 1990, an internal in 2002...won't ever do it with an internal again!

Crumb-just saw the tat...made me cry. Very nice dude!

geek

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2011, 17:34
I used an external in 1990, an internal in 2002...won't ever do it with an internal again!

Crumb-just saw the tat...made me cry. Very nice dude!

geek
i had the paw print(her actual left front print) done in april 2010
i also paid to have the Pittsburgh Steeler emblem tattoo'd on my brothers arm that day as a birthday present.
my brother and me being lifelong steeler fans since 1974.
this last december on bears birthday, i went and added her name and birthday. she really liked you geek, you were always good to her and great company for both of us.

Jim Adams
01-24-2011, 17:39
...makes me miss Ziggy.

geek

Graywolf
01-24-2011, 18:16
I had my Kelty Expedition from 1993 to 2009. It took me to many heights and over many mountains during its life span. On my section hike in 2009, it finally gave up the Ghost..:(.. Now I have an internal but I really miss that ol'e war torn veteran. I still have it in the hopes of maybe getting parts for a new frame. The bag is solid, water proof, (never had to have a pack cover. Nothing got wet, ever). If I could find another pack like it, I would take it at a moments flat..

I say go with it. If it fits and is comfortable, why change? Dont fix it if it aint broken..

Graywolf

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2011, 19:07
I had my Kelty Expedition from 1993 to 2009. It took me to many heights and over many mountains during its life span. On my section hike in 2009, it finally gave up the Ghost..:(.. Now I have an internal but I really miss that ol'e war torn veteran. I still have it in the hopes of maybe getting parts for a new frame. The bag is solid, water proof, (never had to have a pack cover. Nothing got wet, ever). If I could find another pack like it, I would take it at a moments flat..

I say go with it. If it fits and is comfortable, why change? Dont fix it if it aint broken..

Graywolfkeep an eye on e-bay i bet one will pop up eventually.
thats how i found my newest pack. 2003 kelty super tioga new and still sealed.

Pony
01-25-2011, 14:49
A few years ago I toyed with the idea of going UL. In my experience (and I'm sure there are comfortable UL packs) a 35 lb kelty trekker was more comfortable and carried the weight better than an 18 lb pack. I have somewhere in the vicinity of 3,000 miles on my Kelty and it is still in great shape.

p.s. If I were to thru hike with an external I would carry extra pins. Mine all started wearing out around the same time, and I lost four between Mass., and Maine. Also be prepared to have people ask you questions about your pack. Apparently if you have an expensive internal or are going UL then people with external frames are some sort of curiosity.

Buffalo Skipper
01-25-2011, 15:12
My brother thru hiked the AT back in '76 with a tremendous Kelty external; sorry, I don't know the model. He still uses it on the rare occasions he hikes any more, but he swears by it.

My son just switched from a (10 year old) Kelty Yukon 2900 which he outgrew. He had been offered a new pack for some time, but he liked his Kelty so much, he lugged it until it just didn't fit him any more.

Graywolf
01-25-2011, 18:18
keep an eye on e-bay i bet one will pop up eventually.
thats how i found my newest pack. 2003 kelty super tioga new and still sealed.

I wanted a Super Tioga and the expedtion pack was very similar to it, but larger. 6500 ci. I wouldnt mind having a ST.. They are nice rugged packs.. and durable..

Tuckahoe
01-25-2011, 18:23
I dont understand why external frames are considered old school by some folks.