PDA

View Full Version : Wicked cold out

Slo-go'en
01-23-2011, 17:07
Okay, it is the middle of winter, but heck, the temp is down to 0 and the sun hasn't even set yet! Gonna be right chilly out by dawn. I don't think I'll even leave the house tomorrow. Can't wait until that big snow gets here and warms things up a bit.

Of course, this really isn't anything exceptional, except it hasn't been this cold for a couple of years. I remember winters up here where it didn't get much above 0 for highs for weeks at a time. Mornings at -35 to -25 were common for most of Jan and Feb.

Okay, here's your opening to restart the climate change debate which just got shut down. My take on it is our CO2 emissons are keeping just ahead of the cooling trend due to the shift in the Earths axis tilt. When we run out of oil to burn, watch out!

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 17:25
I think there's a better chance our species perishes from the next Ice Age than from AGW. Already below 0 here by Littleton as well. C-C-C-C-COLD.

takethisbread
01-23-2011, 17:30
Wouldn't want to be in the Smokey's right now, but I know a few are. Tough to sleep when itslike this.

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 17:56
Wouldn't want to be in the Smokey's right now, but I know a few are. Tough to sleep when itslike this.
??? Heat wave down there. Overnight lows are in the 20's in Gatlinburg and Cherokee. Tee shirt weather. Ayup.

Pioneer Spirit
01-23-2011, 18:16
Okay, here's your opening to restart the climate change debate which just got shut down. My take on it is our CO2 emissons are keeping just ahead of the cooling trend due to the shift in the Earths axis tilt. When we run out of oil to burn, watch out!

It's folly to attempt to guess what earths temperature trends will dictate. The earth has endured a long series of heat and sub-fridgid temperature cycles long before man came along.

The clue to weather or not the global change is a fraud comes in a couple of places. When ever you see the simple three letter word 'TAX" mentioned in conjunction with any program then you know it is a money making hoax.

The other is the recent sudden change from the term 'Global Warming' over to global climate change' is the other hint that it's an attempt to grab money from the producing countries to fork over to the habitual underachievers..minus the hefty portion that ends up in the pockets of the politicians and those that have made an entire industry around the subject.

In the 70' some folks were convinced that we were going to freeze over by 1990. I survived the disco age, I can survive this current fad.

And just as my red letter signature says....

Pioneer Spirit
01-23-2011, 18:17
*whether*..no pun intended.

TheChop
01-23-2011, 18:34
Hey guys the mods shut down the previous thread so let's start another one up!

The fact that this can't be debated without becoming politicized shows exactly where the problem lies. There are people who have dedicated their entire lives to studying weather and long term weather patterns. The chances of them posting in this thread... close to zero.

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 19:39
I don't think it matters much, as we as a species simply aren't going to do much about it anyway. There isn't the political will or combined political power to make it happen. Even if the developed world were to hold emissions steady or even reduce them, the developing world will continue to add to the amount of fossil fuel consumed and resultant emissions. The planets population will increase putting further pressure on natural resources and the environment. Long term climate will get warm (even really warm), stay the same, or get colder. Honestly, I think at some points in the future the planet will be both warmer and colder than it is now. I don't see long term glaciation cycles disappearing due to us burning some carbon. And we will survive it or we wont. And ultimately, since we aren't really going to do much, there isn't really a lot to discuss other than just for intellectual amusement purposes.

The only way we can radically cut human impact on the biosphere is by radically reducing the number of humans - a subject polite society doesn't want to address. I don't see a human population reduction happening until "mother nature" chooses to finally do it.

George
01-23-2011, 20:00
yes, human population the 600lb gorilla of all environmental issues - every one dances around it no one willing to touch it, controlling disease and making water safe are noble causes but have allowed population to explode. It will take societies around the world generations to adapt to the need for negative pop. growth so the problems are far from over.

generoll
01-23-2011, 20:19
quick, before this one gets shut down. followed some of the references cited in the banned thread and saw where someone thought that the increase of CO2 from 280 ppm to 380 ppm would overpower N2 absorbtion by plants. N2 being roughly 700,000 ppm. can we say BS here?

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2011, 11:41
Clouds are nature's thermostat. When the weather guys screw up the forecast, many times it's because of the cloud cover. And when it comes to climate vs. weather all I got to say is that you got to learn to walk before you learn to run.

Something kind of neat to think about, but I could be totally off base, but I've never heard it addressed. What if if we started measuring co2's temp amplification properties in the desert, specifically night time temps. Not just with simple thermometers, but satellite-based measuring devices. The reason deserts get so damn cold at night is because the lack of moisture which is our number one global warming blanket, this lack of moisture allows the IR to just shoot off into space, vice being trapped. But with the added co2 how does that affect the night time temps? Shouldn't we be measuring the effect?

Just an interesting thought, don't want to get into politics, so boring....

(and yes I agree co2 is a global warming gas and we are increasing it in the atmosphere, but as of yet I'm not really worried about it.)

Carbo
01-24-2011, 12:13
This cold is just mother nature averaging things out. Last summer was the hottest, and dryest, I can remember. This winter is the coldest and most snow so far. Next few seasons will be boring and mellow by contrast. So get ready for some great hiking!

peakbagger
01-24-2011, 13:50
The Mt Washington Observatory had some fun with the cold temps makeing frozen bubbles. The final closeup of the bubble on the glove is quite impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddST_7n9peg

I live up out of the valley a bit so my house was a "balmy -18 this AM and -5 at noon. Its nice and sunny at least.

IceAge
01-24-2011, 14:50
It was 5° here on Saturday. I went ice fishing. Winter is good!

Panzer1
01-24-2011, 14:54
It was 0 degrees here this morning. We had a day last week when it was also 0 degrees. Most of the other days are in the teens or twenties at best. burrrrrrr

Panzer hoping for :sun

bishopj
01-24-2011, 15:01
Dont' worry about it the Earth will get of us when it ready

Joshuatree
01-24-2011, 15:10
Tisn't cold I've been riding my bike to work all winter the guys get a kick when I show up with a frozen beard. I spent a winter living in northern wisconsin a few years ago the average jan temp was -4 that was the average of the day highs and night lows coldest temp I saw was -34 one morning when I went out for firewood.

fehchet
01-24-2011, 15:42
My wintering abode on the Kenduskeag Stream a bit north of Bangor, Maine registered a -28C this morning and with full sun all day, the temperature has only gone up to -18C. Oh, the local PBS radio reports a -40C windchill at the moment. (-40 is where Fahrenheit and Celsius meet, FYI) We have decided to enjoy indoor activities near the wood stove for the remainder of the day...........

atraildreamer
01-24-2011, 15:46
This winter is the coldest and most snow so far.

Hit -1F below in Providence last night (I know there are a lot colder places, but this is a big deal in RI.) and expecting our 3rd Northeaster (think of a winter hurricane, but with snow) in 4 weeks. :(

You can have winter, come by and take all the snow from my driveway! :D

tzbrown
01-24-2011, 16:53
-8*F here last night, but supposed to be above 32*F on Tuesday.

Drastic changes :-?

TZ

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 17:01
my coldest is -6 in glencliff. slept on frozen hardpack in my mid . no floor. no cloth. just matthewski, in his -20 marmot. toast was jelose.panzer had his tent near mine. with a heating pad plugged into an extention cord running to the hostel.duh.panzer? you aint right.lmao.

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 17:05
Coldest Temp: -129°F (-89°C) on July 21, 1983. Location: Vostok Station