PDA

View Full Version : Another use for the SPOT

10-K
01-23-2011, 18:10
I've come up with another use for the SPOT......

I'm going to set the customizable message to say something like, "If you leave now I'll be at the trailhead waiting on you when you get there."

Perfect for timing a ride home when there isn't any cell service.... (Areas around Spivey's Gap, Iron Mt. Gap, Devil's Fork Gap, Indian Grave Gap, have poor cell service)

Franco
01-25-2011, 00:05
I was discussing something like this with a mate of mine.
His take was to instruct whoever will give you a lift to check the last message the night before.
(this is his I 'm here and OK message :Message:Hello! if you are reading this then Little Blue and Me made it to location shown in the link above All Good.)
Little Blue is 2E his mascot. (the rat in Ratatouille)
Instruction to the lift provider :
If it is from where I am meant to be, then come and get me, if not you know that I will be late but not in trouble so wait till I get to that last camping spot..
Franco

Spokes
01-25-2011, 00:09
I've come up with another use for the SPOT......

I'm going to set the customizable message to say something like, "If you leave now I'll be at the trailhead waiting on you when you get there."

Perfect for timing a ride home when there isn't any cell service.... (Areas around Spivey's Gap, Iron Mt. Gap, Devil's Fork Gap, Indian Grave Gap, have poor cell service)

Yeah, but will they know which one 10-K?

mweinstone
01-25-2011, 00:18
can a spot find another spot? to resque someone ?

Spokes
01-25-2011, 00:32
no but a spot can be used as a boat anchor in a pinch. Especially if the catfish are bitin'

mweinstone
01-25-2011, 00:37
if i had a spot and pushed it now, here deep in the inner city geto where all is crak and ho,...what would happen? the cops would ring my bell?

10-K
01-25-2011, 09:05
Yeah, but will they know which one 10-K?

Well yeah... that's prearranged in advance.

Say I get dropped off at Point A and hike to Point B.

Point B does not have cell service so I have to start thinking about getting a call to my ride to get picked up well before the end of my hike.

Around here you can go for miles without a cell signal unless you keep your phone out and check it constantly to see if you've lucked into a random spot you can make a call from. It really slows me down at times trying to get just the right spot (stand on a rock, raise my right leg and hold my tongue just right seems effective at times...)

As you know, the further away you are from the end of your hike the harder it is to estimate when you'll actually finish.

So, with the SPOT message changed to "I'll be ready to get picked up in 1 hour." I can forget about trying to find a cell signal and just use the SPOT to send a text and email to my ride when I'm a couple of miles away from the trailhead.