PDA

View Full Version : list your best items with a duel or more purpose

skooch
01-23-2011, 18:54
This would be an awesome help! Thanks to all who reply. I've learned so much from ya'll

Awol1970
01-23-2011, 18:57
Everclear. Also known as golden grain.:D

sbhikes
01-23-2011, 19:00
Bandana - hides my dirty hair, protects my scalp from the sun, washes my feet, washes the rest of me, could be used to stop the bleeding, bandage a wound, tie broken things together, flag down a ride, be used as a special trail signal to my hiking partner to indicate where I've camped out of sight of the trail, etc.

A pair of cut-off fleece sleeves - use as pillow, pot cozy, arm warmers, leg warmers, feet warmers.

Hoop
01-23-2011, 19:11
hiking sticks/tent poles

Rick500
01-23-2011, 19:35
Hand sanitizer, also good for cleaning cuts and scrapes, and starting fires.

Dental floss, also works as thread.

Bandanna, also used to coarse-filter water before using AquaMira.

Namaste
01-23-2011, 19:39
Bandana for all of the above uses PLUS using as a potholder when cooking.

Mrs Baggins
01-23-2011, 19:40
Wow, I was gonna say Gorilla Tape, but the bandanna is an extremely good answer....

Hooch
01-23-2011, 19:45
Without a doubt, a bandana.

Blissful
01-23-2011, 19:45
People have said duct tape for first aid, repair, etc

tuswm
01-23-2011, 19:47
Z rest closed cell foam pad.
sleeping pad
sit pad
fold up for a seat
"clean spot" for cooking area
wind screen for cooking
temp rain cover
+ sharpie sigh like "hiker to town for food" on one side then on the other "hiker need ride to "....then because it folds you can several different things like trail, post office, car, hospital, air port.....

CON: not so great for sleeping on hard shelter floors.
POS: Dont have to worry about durability issues.

takethisbread
01-23-2011, 19:48
My spork.

Good to eat with

Good to scratch my back with after I haven't showered in a week.

You're welcome.

enurdat1
01-23-2011, 19:59
Cash!

For a real answer, I have several loops of paracord about 1 ft long that are probably the most used item. It holds my drink cup in close reach while I'm walking, hangs my headlamp in the tent at night, holds my socks while they dry at night, ties my bag and lower pad together, and many more uses as I discover a need.

topshelf
01-23-2011, 20:05
How bout my hammock. it makes an awesome recliner where ever and whenever I need it. Also great way to sleep.

CrumbSnatcher
01-23-2011, 20:18
i would say a knife

Distilled
01-23-2011, 20:30
i would say a knife

I see what you did there.

Rocket Jones
01-24-2011, 12:44
I carry a single extra winter tent stake. Good for digging catholes and if it's windy, I can use it as an extra guypoint for my tent.

Delta-Dawn
01-24-2011, 13:47
Don't laugh but my favorite hiking item any time is my fly-fishing vest. I loved it the first time I used it hiking so much that I went and got the same vest that is dedicated solely to hiking so I don't have to switch the items around so often. The amount of pockets on that thing keeps handy all the small things I use the most or would need the quickest, has deep front pockets for my DSLR with the lens set up for easy picture taking (instead of carrying it around my neck, the strap is hooked to one of the built in carabiners-makes for easy grabbing and shooting). My i.d./money/cell is all right where I can get to it in seconds and while the weight of my pack may not be much less, the distribution of the small items in the pockets balances me out well. :) The big back pocket can hold my rain jacket/poncho/extra socks, etc. (put them in a ziplock!) and it is easy to get to without removing everything, I can just slip my hand between my pack and back and reach in to the pocket to grab it (although of course I have to take off pack to put on jacket, but you get the point). :)

Sickmont
01-24-2011, 13:55
My knife is the first thing that came into my mind.

Tenderheart
01-24-2011, 14:27
Socks as gloves. They're much warmer than ordinary gloves. Fingers together keep each other warm.

litefoot 2000

Tenderheart
01-24-2011, 14:35
Oh, I almost forgot. A hand-sized pack towel. I keep it fastened to the shoulder strap of my backpack. I use it to wipe sweat, put over my head when the pesky deer fly follows you a half mile down the trail, or to take a spit bath at night. It will also keep your head dry in light, short rain showers when you don't want to stop and put on your rain jacket.

litefoot 2000

Jedeye
01-24-2011, 14:46
While on the AT I used a poncho for rain gear, pack cover, shelter(along with a UL bivy) and one time even stuffed it in the bivy for extra insulation.

Gipsy
01-24-2011, 14:54
Tea Tree oil
replaces the following:
toothpaste
mouthwash
disinfectant
deodorant
soap
bug spray
anti-fungals

Carbo
01-24-2011, 14:54
Baseball cap has following uses:

Shades eyes.
keeps rain hood up off face.
Covers ratty looking hair.
Serves as carrying basket for rolls at an AYCE.
Fly swatter.
knee pad while fiddling with gear on ground.
Logo tells all I'm a "Yankee".

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2011, 15:22
Baseball cap has following uses:

Shades eyes.
keeps rain hood up off face.
Covers ratty looking hair.
Serves as carrying basket for rolls at an AYCE.
Fly swatter.
knee pad while fiddling with gear on ground.
Logo tells all I'm a "Yankee".
you want me to put my dinner rolls into a dirty fly swatt'n,ratty ass hair,sweaty nasty ballcap? :eek:maybe i could just use a napkin? or have the waitress bring them over:D

Newb
01-24-2011, 15:25
I have "dueling" pistols. They serve the dual purpose of fighting duels and hunting squirrels.

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2011, 15:27
I have "dueling" pistols. They serve the dual purpose of fighting duels and hunting squirrels.
''you'll shoot your eye out'':D

Carbo
01-24-2011, 15:52
you want me to put my dinner rolls into a dirty fly swatt'n,ratty ass hair,sweaty nasty ballcap? :eek:maybe i could just use a napkin? or have the waitress bring them over:D
Yeah, I guess you could line the cap with a napkin. I don't know if I would trust the waitress with my ballcap though :-?

Jim Adams
01-24-2011, 15:54
a cut off fleece sleeve will also make a great cold weather hat.

a frizbee will carry water, work as a stove base in snow or mud, a small table, a shovel, used to fan a fire, rain hat,tent anchor in snow and , oh yeah, a frizbee.

but the winner is...
whiskey!
drinking, treat wounds, clean or steralize items such as needles and tweezers and drinking.

geek

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2011, 15:58
Yeah, I guess you could line the cap with a napkin. I don't know if I would trust the waitress with my ballcap though :-?
lets get past the ballcap:D i was saying to put the rolls in the napkin. lets leave that nasty hat outside:rolleyes::cool:

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2011, 16:06
a cut off fleece sleeve will also make a great cold weather hat.

a frizbee will carry water, work as a stove base in snow or mud, a small table, a shovel, used to fan a fire, rain hat,tent anchor in snow and , oh yeah, a frizbee.

but the winner is...
whiskey!
drinking, treat wounds, clean or steralize items such as needles and tweezers and drinking.

geekNot that you needed to Geek, but one could catch the spilled whiskey with the frisbee too;):cool::D

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 16:08
my staff dances made me:
walking stick
tent pole
light pole
huck finn pole
watercarry pole
bridge
throwing stck
reaching stick
depth finder
hornet bat
ladder
hammer
spear
picnic/barbaque table shim
flagpole
tripod
ridgepole
clothesline
ciggarett holder(spent butts go under rubber band at top while hiking)
gaff
shovel
web catch
exsodus 417

Jim Adams
01-24-2011, 16:08
Not that you needed to Geek, but one could catch the spilled whiskey with the frisbee too;):cool::D

Spilled? SPILLED? SPILLED?.....I don't think so!:eek:

geek

WI_Mike
01-24-2011, 16:11
I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffRIQdENpdI

skooch
01-24-2011, 16:48
wow I can see this thred going off track after watching that one :) have fun guys

maybe clem
01-24-2011, 17:24
Packa: pack cover, rain jacket, pillow.

Maddog
01-24-2011, 17:29
Gonna have to go with the bandana as well!

JohnEbner
01-25-2011, 17:54
Bandana for sure.

rickb
01-25-2011, 19:01
If used properly a bandanna can be used to remove the cork from a bottle of wine.

CrumbSnatcher
01-25-2011, 19:44
:cool: MY DOG was

#1 best friend/companion
#2 security officer-alarm system
#3 food waste manager
#4 wild life spotter
#5 in charge of hitching (easier because people spotted/worried about her)
#6 a heating blanket
#7 my shrink
#8 a trail maintainer
#9 THE ONLY ONE THAT WANTED TO HIKE WITH ME!:D

CrumbSnatcher
01-25-2011, 20:10
she was also a girl magnet:cool:
but they just wanted to pet the dog:(

amac
01-25-2011, 21:18
A 16oz version of a wide mouth Nalgene.
coffee brewing (using a simple paperfilter)
coffee cup
breakfast drink mixer
water container

garlic08
01-25-2011, 21:25
My watch. Besides telling time, I use it for navigation (I know my hiking pace and can predict my arrival at a known place), as an alarm, and a timer.

map man
01-25-2011, 23:36
My micropuff pullover (or any light insulated jacket) for wearing around camp. Stuff it in a stuff sack and it makes a nice pillow.

If you are hiking somewhere that requires a bear canister (it's required at some National Parks and is a good option for food storage in grizzly country or above tree-line) it also makes for a handy camp stool. Granted, at 2+ pounds that's a lot of weight to carry around just to keep your rear end off the ground.

Mr. Shorts
01-26-2011, 01:59
Multitool....

Nuf Said. :D