PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on...

freemarie
01-23-2011, 20:43
Kelty Lakota?
Looking at the women's pack.

bigcranky
01-23-2011, 21:43
Does it fit? Does it carry all your stuff? Is it comfortable to wear all day up and down mountains while filled with all your stuff? Is it light enough to be comfortable carrying day after day up and down mountains, filled with all your stuff?

Those are my thoughts. I'm sure it's a nice pack, but it needs to fit and carry all your stuff...

freemarie
01-23-2011, 21:52
It is large enough to carry what I need. It is light enough to use. I am wondering about the quality of Kelty bags as well as the comfort level. There aren't many camping supply stores in my area, so I'm not able to see it in person. Although I did find a very good deal for it online, so I am inquiring on others' opinions.

bigcranky
01-24-2011, 09:24
Kelty makes good packs. My daughter used on of their Coyote youth packs for five or six years, and it's still in great condition. It weighed 5+ pounds empty (!), so it was a tad overbuilt, but it was designed for Boy Scouts and other younger hikers who might be a little hard on their gear.

Not sure about comfort -- that is so individual. Sort of like shoes -- what fits you might not fit me at all. If the store you order from has a good return policy, you can try it out for the cost of return shipping.

Good luck.

jrwiesz
01-24-2011, 09:59
... I am wondering about the quality of Kelty bags...so I am inquiring on others' opinions.

I have probably 10 Kelty packs; I have yet to find one of poor quality.

They maybe weigh a bit on the heavy side, but, they are almost bomb-proof.:sun

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 17:02
It is large enough to carry what I need. It is light enough to use. I am wondering about the quality of Kelty bags as well as the comfort level. There aren't many camping supply stores in my area, so I'm not able to see it in person. Although I did find a very good deal for it online, so I am inquiring on others' opinions.

There aren't many camping stores in my area - I had to make a special trip to Chicago to visit Moosejaw/REI/Uncle Dan's/Patagonia. Tried on nearly a dozen packs, and the only thing that fit me properly was the Gregory Jade 50 - their knock-off of the Osprey Aura 50. I bought the Aura 50, after the return period realized that though I measured myself for a medium torso length, the Aura was just too darned tall. Had to sell it, tried the short torso at Moosejaw - waaayyy too short. What now? Kept trying - Osprey, Deuter (I SO wanted a Deuter), Arc'teryx, Gregory, Granite Gear, etc. - and the only thing that fit was the Gregory Jade 50 in Short. Go figure.

I would never buy a pack sight unseen - you've no idea what feels great until you really get them on. My husband adores his Osprey Atmos 65, but it's just not for me.

As far as Kelty quality? Never bought anything Kelty - they were definitely a mainstay in the 80s and 90s but since more manufacturers have come about they've fallen to the wayside. Check out Kelty's guarantee and type things like "Kelty (bag type) review", you may have to hunt but there should be some reviews somewhere of this particular bag.

freemarie
02-10-2011, 18:07
Love my new Kelty pack!! Highly recommend the Kelty Lakota. I have the women's model with lots of great padding!