PDA

View Full Version : best maps

woodbugger21
01-23-2011, 21:38
so im planning on starting the trail in march and am looking for thoughts on the best maps for the trail. cost is really not an issue as im not skimping on this aspect. thank you

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 21:52
For a thru-hike either buy the ATC set directly from ATC (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=190&compid=1) or look for a recent set in the used gear section here. Are they necessary if you have the Companion or Handbook or Guide? Some will say no. And if nothing ever goes wrong, and if your not a "map person", you probably don't honestly need them. But if you're like me and others you probably like having maps and a compass both for daily navigation and "just in case". And it's funny how when you don't have a map is when you need one most.

woodbugger21
01-23-2011, 22:05
thank you. im not a map person but i definitely will be bringing maps with me. if i learned anything in the time i was at college in an outdoor recreation major it was to bring maps along no matter where you go

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2011, 22:11
You'll make "friends" too. All the people that "don't need" and don't buy maps will always want to look at yours. :rolleyes: Such is life. :(

CinciJP
01-25-2011, 15:34
I'll probably end up using the AT Guide as my primary source with the Thru-Hiker's Handbook as a second source, but I'm wondering what the arguments are of why I'd need maps also?

Jedeye
01-25-2011, 15:46
National Geographics Trails Illustrated maps are pretty good. You don't really need them to find your way along the trail, but they are nice for side trails, alternate routs, road walking and getting into towns.

flemdawg1
01-26-2011, 16:06
Nat Geo maps:
-shows more side trails, more of the stuff off of the AT. Want to know exactly where the Chunky Gal trail goes, it'll show you. Want to know if there's a campground at the end of that blue blaze, it'll show that too.
ATC maps:
-elevation relief chart, showing exactly how high that next mountain is going to be.
-Better marking of water sources.

Blissful
01-26-2011, 16:22
but I'm wondering what the arguments are of why I'd need maps also?

Do a search on this on WB, it has been said many times over.

Pro Vagabond
01-26-2011, 16:52
National Geographics Trails Illustrated maps are pretty good. You don't really need them to find your way along the trail, but they are nice for side trails, alternate routs, road walking and getting into towns.

possibly ignorant question, where would one find such a set of maps?

flemdawg1
01-26-2011, 17:11
Here's a view from the NAT GEO maps
http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_777_zoomify.html?zoomifyImagePath=assets/files/zoomify/ti00000777/ti00000777_3_img&zoomifyNavigatorVisible=false

flemdawg1
01-26-2011, 17:15
Here's a view from the NAT GEO maps
http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_777_zoomify.html?zoomifyImagePath=assets/files/zoomify/ti00000777/ti00000777_3_img&zoomifyNavigatorVisible=false

You'll note it shows alot more of the surrounding area. This is great if you are interested in the other trails in the Area. If you only want the immediate AT cooridor then the ATC maps are good.

Bucherm
01-27-2011, 05:49
possibly ignorant question, where would one find such a set of maps?

REI, Amazon...

I really like the maps that my local ATC affliate(PATC) puts out. I can't speak to the quality of the other ATCs in the country.