PDA

View Full Version : dust to dust

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 00:58
how many folks are interred on the AT? the ashes and graves combined. can ashes be placed anywhere? do any of you plan on being on the AT ,...afterwards? was thinking of starting a morbid buissnes called last request. i do stuff for folks after. scatterings, vandettas,kidding,...but i was wondering how much of a graveyard is our trail in general. is there a book, graves of the AT?

gipcgirl
01-24-2011, 01:08
how many folks are interred on the AT? the ashes and graves combined. can ashes be placed anywhere? do any of you plan on being on the AT ,...afterwards? was thinking of starting a morbid buissnes called last request. i do stuff for folks after. scatterings, vandettas,kidding,...but i was wondering how much of a graveyard is our trail in general. is there a book, graves of the AT?
I met someone on the AT last year who was hiking sections to her late husbands favourite spots and scattering his ashes. Rather nice I thought.

Iceaxe
01-24-2011, 01:48
It might be pretty common on the trails.
I met a hiker on the PCT that was carrying the ashes of his friend.
I am trying to find the exact book I read this in.. could have been Hiking Through by Paul Stutzman but there is a description of an AT hiker meeting a large family merrily carrying their grandmothers ashes in an urn on the trail with them.
Mathewski you might have a buisiness idea there!

Iceaxe
01-24-2011, 01:50
It just occured to me that scattering the ashes of the dead on the AT could be a way to replenish all those "microbes" killed off by Labeda's fireholes. :rolleyes:

Hikes in Rain
01-24-2011, 07:06
Shelton graves. The couple at Deer Park Mountain Shelter. (Used to be their homesite) Somewhere on the Bald Mountains north of Hot Springs is a monument to a thru-hikers ashes scattered there. Just off the top of my head; I'm sure there are more.

fehchet
01-24-2011, 08:04
Human ash spreading on the AT and other trails and beautiful spots throughout the word happen all the time. Usually a quite, private practice, though and not talked about very often. My family have been tossing our ashes from airplanes since the 1930's.
mwienstone, you could get a titanium pot with a little titanium spork and offer family ash spreading

Spokes
01-24-2011, 08:37
Embalming, burial at sea, and scattering on public land all seem so basic to me. An aerial launch of your ashes is the best way to go out in style.

Therefore, I've instructed my estate to launch my cremains after packing them into a professionally manufactured firework.

Google "cremains in fireworks" for more information.

http://mrg.bz/D9oc59
(picture of me entering the after life)

DLANOIE
01-24-2011, 09:55
My thru in 2006 was dedicated to my father who died in 2005. I carried his ashes to Mnt. Washington where I spread them on the sumit(downwind). Not all of his ashes though, just a small vile. I have an urn with the rest of him at home.

10-K
01-24-2011, 11:05
I've carried my brother in law from NC to NJ and scattered bits of his ashes along the way.

His name was Jerry so a good portion were in the area around Jerry Cabin shelter, plus JCS has almost a direct view to our property off NC 212 so we can look at each other. :)

Tenderheart
01-24-2011, 15:29
Have any of you ever noticed the small iron marker just north of Standing Indian on the third small opening past the summit? I wrote the name and info down on a piece of paper a few years back, but lost it before I returned home. It is off to the right of the trail about 20 yards or so going north. I would have never seen it had I not stopped to take a leak. I wonder if this is a marker for scattered ashes. I had always planned to have my ashes scattered on the summit of Standing Indian, but don't know anyone who could make the journey carrying all that weight.

litefoot 2000

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2011, 17:02
There are all sorts of actual graves on or very close to the Trail, as well as memorial markers to folks who died nearby but my not be actually buried there. Lots of folks have their ashes scattered on the Trail (sometimes in multiple places) but in almost every case, this is a private thing, i.e. no marker or monument. In most places one is supposed to get approval/permission to scatter ashes in Parks or public lands; the reality, of course is that nobody much cares about this.

Don H
01-24-2011, 17:51
Cast iron grave markers were used years ago. They are rare, most were stolen and sold for scrap.

mweinstone
01-25-2011, 02:17
i have a weird fasination with graves. dug em up as a kid. dont worry. just billy oconnors goldfish. and maby his hampster. i ride thru woodlands cemetary often. i know all the graves. my fav is the sea captians wife. she was married at 16 and her husband left right away and was lost at sea. she lived really long and never remarried. the one thats weird is the guy who invented the special typewritter pharmacists used to type out prescription lables on. its a huge stone some 8 feet high carved into a typwritter.we have steven girrard and jazz singers and movie stars in there too. i like graveyards cause they are the only healthy enviroment in the inner city.

camojack
01-25-2011, 04:52
i have a weird fasination with graves. dug em up as a kid. dont worry. just billy oconnors goldfish. and maby his hampster. i ride thru woodlands cemetary often. i know all the graves. my fav is the sea captians wife. she was married at 16 and her husband left right away and was lost at sea. she lived really long and never remarried. the one thats weird is the guy who invented the special typewritter pharmacists used to type out prescription lables on. its a huge stone some 8 feet high carved into a typwritter.we have steven girrard and jazz singers and movie stars in there too. i like graveyards cause they are the only healthy enviroment in the inner city.
What about those mausoleums overlooking the Schuylkill River? :-?

I call a thing like that "a tomb with a view"...but what's the point?! :confused: