PDA

View Full Version : pack weight

hikerdg
12-29-2004, 21:31
I will begin my thru-hike April 1,2005 with a pack weight of 42lbs. Is this a reasonable weight to start with?

SGT Rock
12-29-2004, 21:34
Sure, as long as you are happy with the gear. You may lighten up later as you go.

neo
12-29-2004, 22:41
i started with 60,was to heavy for me.like 25 now:sun neo

Kerosene
12-29-2004, 22:46
At 42 lbs. you'll probably be carrying just a touch above the average pack weight I'd guess. A lot of experienced thru-hikers will have packs (with food and water) in the 20-30 pound range, and big guys who like their creature comforts will carry over 50.

Ideally, you would be carrying no more than 20% of your ideal body weight, so 42 pounds would be reasonable for a 200-pound man. The more you can do to drive pack weight down to something more like 15%, the more comfortable you'll be at the end of a long day of hiking. It's certainly possible to carry more weight -- I hauled 50 pounds as a teenager when I weighed 150 -- but I carry 25 now and my feet aren't nearly as sore after a long day.

Whatever weight you carry, make sure that your pack can handle the load and places most of the weight on your hips instead of your shoulders.

hikerjohnd
12-29-2004, 22:48
I'm just curious - does 42 lbs include food and water? I too am starting soon and have a weight of about 45 lbs including food and water, but I feel I have just the bare necessities - nothing left to cut!

UCONNMike
12-29-2004, 23:00
Figuring food and water is about 10 pounds, what in that 35 pounds if base weight are you taking, it cant all be necessities (unless all your gear is crazy heavy). Look to cut some weight now, instead of later...

hikerjohnd
12-29-2004, 23:17
Food water is about 15 lbs - I prefer to stay out longer so that 15 lbs covers 10-12 days of food. Gear is 30 lbs. and my luxury items include an 8oz camera, and 5oz mocrocassette recorder for interviews (school project). The rest of my gear is relatively light (titanium whenever possible, down sleeping bag, etc) My major weight (of the 30lbs) seems to be extra clothes - 3lbs worth. LS shirt, L pants (zip off legs), socks, liner socks, nylon shorts (prevent chafing), and underwear.

I'm hesitant to drop the LS stuff starting in mid march, but willing to do so if wiser advisors deem it OK.

I'm carrying a dragonfly stove, but like to cook when I can. I'm hoping to use an alcohol stove while out (all you diehard fans, I just want to try one), I find them interesting, but have neither the technical skills nor the patience to build one of my own.

I'm comfortable with 45 lbs, but don't want pack weight to be a trip ender. Any input is appreciated!

UCONNMike
12-29-2004, 23:21
Food water is about 15 lbs - I prefer to stay out longer so that 15 lbs covers 10-12 days of food. Gear is 30 lbs. and my luxury items include an 8oz camera, and 5oz mocrocassette recorder for interviews (school project). The rest of my gear is relatively light (titanium whenever possible, down sleeping bag, etc) My major weight (of the 30lbs) seems to be extra clothes - 3lbs worth. LS shirt, L pants (zip off legs), socks, liner socks, nylon shorts (prevent chafing), and underwear.

I'm hesitant to drop the LS stuff starting in mid march, but willing to do so if wiser advisors deem it OK.

I'm carrying a dragonfly stove, but like to cook when I can. I'm hoping to use an alcohol stove while out (all you diehard fans, I just want to try one), I find them interesting, but have neither the technical skills nor the patience to build one of my own.

I'm comfortable with 45 lbs, but don't want pack weight to be a trip ender. Any input is appreciated!
sorry if i came off a bit "jerk-ish" i was just kinda curious...but my new question is why you are going to go so far between resupply of food, any specific reason, or do you just not wanna loose your groove out there. for the extra clothes, may i suggest a bounce box. RITBlake and I plan to use this tool to our advantage on the trail, so we only have the clothes we need, and not carry stuff we wont need at the present time.

SGT Rock
12-29-2004, 23:30
Well 30 pound base ain't bad. What really matters are if you are comfortable with your gear and can you hack the weight. I think you will probably find yourself carrying about 10 pounds food and 2-4 pounds of water. Me personal guess is you will probably find ways to trim the base weight by the time you hit Neels gap, and probably tweak it past that.

You could post your packing list here for folks to comment on.

hikerjohnd
12-29-2004, 23:33
You did not come off jerkish at all!!! I appreciate ANY input that will help me have a successful hike!

As to staying out - prefer longer outings, getting away from the rat race appeals to me. I see that towns in the south seem to be a bit farther off the trail than those in the north. I do not see the need to traverse so many extra miles just to get supplies and then get back on the trail.

But - I had not considered a bounce box for some stuff. That may have me going into towns more than I thought... What kind of stuff are you planning to bounce?

UCONNMike
12-29-2004, 23:46
Yes, but my knowledge of the "bounce box" is at a newbe level, I made a post to figure out how to execute it. the bounce box appeals to me, just casue i know im gonna need the long sleeve shirt and pants kinda stuff later into my hike as it gets colder (i leave June 1st and plan to finish in mid September), and Id like to have them at my dispossal and not need to have family send them. other items will make the box too, but as my knowledge increases i can make more concreate decisions.

hikerjohnd
12-29-2004, 23:55
Here is my gear list - shred it to your hearts content - bear in mind, I do like to cook when I can... So long as there is good conversation, I enjoy company at meals too. (Now I'm sure I'll see a yogi or two)

Bandanna - .9 oz
Camera – 8.4 oz
Clothes – 3 lbs – (LS Shirt, L pants (zip off legs), socks, liner socks, nylon shorts (prevent chafing), and underwear)
Cookset – 15.8 oz (MSR Titanium 1.5 l pot, 1 l pot, tea kettle, cup) I do like to cook
Data Pouch (maps, guidebook, journal, pen, cassette recorder, 3 cassettes) – 1 lb 3.1 oz
Film (2 rolls) – 1.2 oz
First aid / grooming kit – 13.5 oz
Fuel bottle w/ pump (full) – 1 lb 7 oz
Kitchen kit – 11.2 oz (fork/spoon, MSR strainer, measuring spoon, S&P, small whisk)
Knife/Watch – 4.6 oz
Lighting (zipka) – 1.9 oz
Misc kit (repair stuff, batteries, clevis pins) – 5 oz
Pack w/cover – 6 lbs
Raingear – 1 lb 7.9 oz
Rope – 2.5 oz
Sleeping bag (Kelty NightLight 45) – 1 lb 15 oz
Sleeping pad – ¾ self inflating thermarest – 1 lb
Stove (Dragonfly) – 14.8 oz
Tent – Big Agnes – 3 lbs 7 oz
Water filter – 12.8 oz
Xtras (water bag, wallet, tp/shovel, sunglasses) – 15 oz

Happy
12-29-2004, 23:59
I will begin my thru-hike April 1,2005 with a pack weight of 42lbs. Is this a reasonable weight to start with?

No not at all acceptable...I could be polite and say so..but not at all....just trying to save you weight and money at Neil's Gap!

Start with a base weight of 15 lbs. of weight (without food, water and fuel) and IF doing the approach trail ADD 4 days of food (8 pounds), 1 pound of fuel and 2 lbs of water and you will do just find with a starting weight of 26lbs. total !!

Days 3 & 4 MAY require an additional 2 lbs of water to round out at 28lbs !! :sun

A-Train
12-30-2004, 00:14
Not to tell you what to do (you are certainly allowed to do whatever you please!) but carrying 10-12 days of food is not really recommended. Yes town stops in the south can be far off trail and turn into zero days, but you can be disciplined. No one says you can't get in and get back out in the span of an hour or two. Neels Gap is right on the trail, the BB patch is a 3 mile hitch , the NOC is on trail and Fontana PO is 2 miles away.
From my experience the folks who said they were going to carry 7+ days of food generally didn't save any time on folks carrying 2-3 as they had much heavier packs and couldn't walk as many miles.
Going along with that I met many hikers (especially early on) who had the atttitude that they were anti-town and civilization. Not only did most of these folks change their style and accept and love hostels/towns, but many times these were the folks who I witnessed enjoying towns more than the others!
Like I say, certainly nothing wrong with it, if you are willing to hump 20+ lbs of food (thats 10 days worth). Just be open to changes, as you may change your mind.

Happy
12-30-2004, 00:18
[QUOTE=hikerjohnd]Here is my gear list - shred it to your hearts content - bear in mind, I do like to cook when I can... So long as there is good conversation, I enjoy company at meals too. (Now I'm sure I'll see a yogi or two)

Bandanna - .9 oz
Camera – 8.4 oz
Clothes – 3 lbs – (LS Shirt, L pants (zip off legs), socks, liner socks, nylon shorts (prevent chafing), and underwear)
Cookset – 15.8 oz (MSR Titanium 1.5 l pot, 1 l pot, tea kettle, cup) I do like to cook
Data Pouch (maps, guidebook, journal, pen, cassette recorder, 3 cassettes) – 1 lb 3.1 oz
Film (2 rolls) – 1.2 oz
Kitchen kit – 11.2 oz (fork/spoon, MSR strainer, measuring spoon, S&P, small whisk)
Knife/Watch – 4.6 oz
Pack w/cover – 6 lbs
Raingear – 1 lb 7.9 oz
Rope – 2.5 oz
Water filter – 12.8 oz
[/QUOTE

Good gear list, but at your request here are the reples...the pack weight is OUT OF SIGHT...could lose 5 lbs.?...go for an alcohol stove and lose another 12 oz...lose the water filter and another 10 oz. is saved.

Cookset and Raingear could be cut in half weightwise!

UCONNMike
12-30-2004, 00:18
that is a very well put together list, i am impressed with your ability to plan out every piece this early in the game. my suggestions of stuff you can get rid of are as follows (and my opinion comes from my experiences talking to thru-hikers i met on the trail this past summer during a hearty section hike of the AT, i asked hundreds of questions to dozens of diffreent hikers in order to prepare myself)
* remember, think in terms of oz not pounds, the oz will add up
-as far the the cassette recorder goes, only carry one tape insteed of 3, you can get a blank cassette in town pretty easily.
-the first aid kit can be replaced with some duct tape and maybe a band aid or two, the duct tape can be wrapped around your trekking poles, and while on the trail a first aid kit really has no value, the grooming kit can be replaced with a leatherman micro, whihc has scissors for snippin'
-repair stuff will become your duct tape, if there is major damage you wont be able to do much about it, just head into town and call the company to get a new one sent out.
-raingear was the one thing that the thru hikers i met all agreed was almost un-usable, for the reason that it is heavy, no breathable, and youll get wet no matter what so no sense in delaying the inevitable, so they all ditched their rain gear for a light weight cheap plastic 99 cent poncho to use in a pinch.
-dont bring a little shovel, youll get laughed at, we did and ditched it the first day
-the only other thing is that your big 3 (tent, pack, bag) are in the +10 range, you bag is light but you pack and tent are very heavy, if you are cool with the weight more pwer to you, i personally explored lighter opions for those 2 items
-the cook set i left for last, casue i know it will be hard to hear this....you are bringing way to much stuff, i dont think youll find the need for 2 different cook pots and a kettle. also the measuring spoons, strainer, fork, and wisk all seem to be somethign id look into ditching. but liek i said, if you really wanna carry them..more power to you, just consider losing some of those cooking items, you could shead some serious weight.

while i may feel these are worth while suggestions, its all about hiking your own hike, and working what feels comfortable for you. im bringing the lightest items i can , and limiting almost everything to keep my pack weight down so i can hike bigger miles each day.

hikerjohnd
12-30-2004, 00:20
Thanks A-Train - I am open to any changes (hey I'm posting here for input). What is the BB patch? I don't know why, but I thought most southern towns were like 10+ miles off the trail. Maybe I should dig deeper into my guide.

A-Train
12-30-2004, 00:31
John-
The BB patch is the Blueberry Patch, a hostel 3 miles from Dicks Creek Gap. It is the same road that goes to Hiawasee, except that town is 11 miles from the AT. Yes there are a few towns that are of some distance but they aren't necessary. Franklin NC is 10 miles but I skipped it.
Building on the list I started with in the last post, Standing Bear Farm hostel is practically on the Trail and Hot Springs NC IS on the trail. Erwin is 4 miles off the AT but worth the time, trust me!
Kincorra Hostel is practically on the AT and Damascus VA IS THE AT. You don't need to venture far for resupply for sure.
The towns in Maine are generally 5-8 miles off the AT, but none are necessary to stop in (cept maybe Monson), but that is not something you need to worry about now.

I'd recommend picking up the thru-hikers Handbook or the ATC' Companion, or atleast a data book, so you can begin planning food stops. Baltimore Jack has an excellent resupply plan on this website in the articles section

hikerjohnd
12-30-2004, 00:49
Happy - How would you cut the raingear? I bought new (old weighed over 3 lbs) to get to the weight I have now. Suggestions?

Oh - do you mean (like a-train) CUT the raingear? Interesting...

grrickar
12-30-2004, 01:20
The pack itself seems heavy - 6lbs with rain cover? You might can cut weight later down the road by getting a lighter pack. Personally I would lose the recorder and cassettes and just keep a written journal (provided that is what you were carrying it for). As others mentioned, you could go with an alcohol stove to save weight, or even a canister stove would save weight over liquid fuel. You may want to consider the availability of canisters along the trail though. Others could comment better as to how easy they would be to find. You could leave the filter behind and carry Aqua Mira or Polar Pure for a bit more weight reduction. Good luck on your hike. I'm sure as you progress along the trail you'll find what works best for you. I carried some things that on my first section hike that I plan to leave behind next time. I figure I was running about 37lbs with food and water for 3 days, and I'll likely be closer to 30 next time out.

Haiku
12-30-2004, 03:14
The towns in Maine are generally 5-8 miles off the AT, but none are necessary to stop in (cept maybe Monson), but that is not something you need to worry about now.
Funny, I stopped in every town in Maine in order to save food weight - of course, because I was only carrying one and a half days of food at a time, I carried more of it.... Who says you can't carry 6lbs of food for one day? :jump

Haiku.

baseballswthrt
12-30-2004, 06:46
Right now we only hike for 3-5 days at a time and our thru isn't until 2011, but I have found that my husband and I save a lot of weight on our cooking stuff. We used to carry most of what you have. Now we only carry a 1.5 liter pot, a cup each (with measuring markings on it with a Sharpie), a spork each. a lid that is actually a small frying pan, and a trangia alcohol stove. These items are shared so it saves a ton of weight. For seasoning we carry Old Bay.

We boil enough water for tea and whatever trail delicacy we are having and pour the tea water in our cups and brew our tea while our meal is finishing. If we cook something that requires 2 pots, we use our lid/frying pan.

The trangia is lighter than the whisperlight we used to carry and we each carry a bottle of alcohol. I like the trangia over the pepsi can stoves since you can screw the lid on it and save your fuel. We don't have measure or guess how much we need when we start cooking.

Instead of a trowel, use a stick or pole to dig a hole. I put duct tape on my hiking poles or around my soda bottle that I use for water and the bottle I use for my alcohol.

IMO, your pack is heavy. When I am carrying loads under 30 lbs, I use a Gregory Z pack. Last summer I used it loaded with 7 days of food, etc and it was comfortable. In November, we went out for 3 days and my pack weight was 33 lbs with winter clothes, etc, and it wasn't comfortable with that amount of weight. It rested on my shoulder then. Personally, I need a heavier pack for winter hiking.

Try different things and you will find where you will save weight. If you are comfortable at that weight and carrying that stuff then go for it! Ounces add up to pounds!

Enjoy your hike!

Anita

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 07:54
Here is my gear list - shred it to your hearts content - bear in mind, I do like to cook when I can... So long as there is good conversation, I enjoy company at meals too. (Now I'm sure I'll see a yogi or two)

Bandanna - .9 oz
Camera – 8.4 oz
When are you starting? This actually seems like you may need warmer clothing than you are carying

You could easily knock this down to about 5 ounces and still cook

How many maps? Maybe carry two at a time max. How big a journal? Mine only weighs 3.5 ounces with a pen. If you are going to record a journal, then why write one too? I think this weight can be trimmed.

Film (2 rolls) – 1.2 oz
you can probably cut that in half.Try reducing packaging and only carrying about a week of supplies at a time since you will be able to re-stock about weekly

OUCH, that is a lot of fuel, try a smaller bottle or go to a canister or alcohol stove. You can easily cut that in half

All you need is a spoon and a cup. You can strain with the lid cracked open on your pot. You don't need a measuring spoon, just add ingredients like grandma did - a pinch of this and a throw of that.

Knife/Watch – 4.6 oz
Pack w/cover – 6 lbs
Again, you could save about half this weight by switching packs

Raingear – 1 lb 7.9 oz
This weight isn't bad for a full set of rain gear

Rope – 2.5 oz
Switch to a canister stove like the Pocket Rocket or an alcohol stove and save over 10 ounces

Water filter – 12.8 oz
Iodine or other chemical treatment can save you 10 ounces

You probably won't need sunglasses since you are in the shade most of the time. Loose the shovel, a lot of the shelters have them and privies. You can also di with a stick or tent stake.

Another concern is you stated 15 pounds is 10-12 days food. It might be at the start, but the general rule of thumb is about 2 pounds food per day, so 15 pounds is only about 7 days food. The good thing is, depending on your mileage, that you should hit a town or resupply about every 4-5 days except in certain places.

Again, everything is personal preference, and you could certainly make it just fine with what you have. I bet though you will make changes as you move north.

Jaybird
12-30-2004, 08:05
i started section-hikin' the A.T. in 2002...

my pack weight:

2002: approx 50lbs (w/food & water)
2003: approx 40lbs ( w/ food & water)
2004: approx 30lbs (w/food & water)

2005: shooting for 25lbs! wooooooooooooo-hooooooooooooo!
(w/ food & water)

over the years..i've gotten rid of some needless & non-used gear & "lightened" the essentials..etc

i'm trying some MARY JANE's freeze dried in 2005...which has less pkging than my usual food (Mountain House entrees).

happy hikin'! :D

DavidR
12-30-2004, 14:42
i'm trying some MARY JANE's freeze dried in 2005...which has less pkging than my usual food (Mountain House entrees).

happy hikin'! :D[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link for the Mary Janes?

I to have been cutting weight over the years, about 5 pounds per year for the past 3-4 years. It really does make the hike more enjoyable.

tribes
12-30-2004, 17:01
IMHO I think you are crazy to think that 45 degree kelty will keep you warm in mid march at 3000-4000 feet in the southern Appalachians. I met two hiker last June in NJ that had switched over to these bags for summer and indicated that they were cold a few nights in May-June. Others may disagree but I would have a look at some average temps for that time of year. I would imagine nights regularly in the twenties and perhaps lower if you are lucky :) . The pack is also kinda hefty @ six lbs. You should be able to find something in the 3 lb range. I have no knowledge of your budget, but if I had the option of picking up some new stuff I would look @ a warmer bag and a lighter pack. Also you could lose all but one pot, the water filter for chemical treatment, and the MSR stove and you could at least cut 6-8 lbs.

I love to cook as much as anyone else but find that after putting my miles in for the day, I am way too tired to do elaborate meals. One pot and a cup (if you feel necessary) should be all that you need.

Kerosene
12-30-2004, 18:17
I agree with tribes, a 45-degree bag isn't going to cut it until you reach the lower Mid-Atlantic states in mid-summer. It's cold in them thar hills!!!

You'll need at least a 20-degree bag, and you could even be comfy in a 15-degree bag. You can find high-quality down bags in this temperature range that weigh around two pounds, but you'll pay $300 for them.

The rule of thumb is that you'll want to carry your winter/early spring gear until after Mt. Rogers in southern Virginia, and then pick up that gear in Glencliff, NH for the final push to Katahdin.

hikerjohnd
12-30-2004, 18:25
Yeah - I've been wondering about the bag. I'm a warm sleeper and I was planning to wear fleece on cold nights, but maybe a new bag would be in order.

Lilred
12-30-2004, 18:45
Yeah - I've been wondering about the bag. I'm a warm sleeper and I was planning to wear fleece on cold nights, but maybe a new bag would be in order.

Check out this bag at Campmor. I have this one and it served me well on some mighty chilly Nov. nights on the Georgia AT. 20 degree down and weighs about 2 lbs.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86899&memberId=12500226

Jaybird
12-30-2004, 18:55

happy hikin'! :D

Do you have a link for the Mary Janes?

I to have been cutting weight over the years, about 5 pounds per year for the past 3-4 years. It really does make the hike more enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Mary Janes (http://www.backcountryfood.org/) website is:

http://www.backcountryfood.org/

max patch
12-30-2004, 19:17
If your bag "Sleeping bag (Kelty NightLight 45) – 1 lb 15 oz" is rated at 45 degrees you need to get a warmer bag. I started 5/1 with a 20 degree bag and had more cold nights than I thought possible. Even with that late start I caught snow flurries in the GSMNP.

15 pounds of food is not going to last 10-12 days. Good estimate is about 2 pounds of food per day for most people.

You stressed how you like to cook so I'm not going to tell you to reduce your cook set. But I bet one of those cook pots and that wisk don't make it all the way to K.

Don't obsess about the weight. I started with 50 pounds and was about your age and made it just fine. A little bit of tweking here and there and my weight got down to about 45 pounds (includes 5 days of food and 2 quarts of water).

bartender
12-31-2004, 12:03
I agree that you absolutly need a warmer bag, I used a kelty down 45 bag on my August LT hike and had to bundle up a few nights. No matter how you tweak your weight after a few days you will realize that you have stuff that you don't need. Most hiking food(ramen etc) is way salty to begin with. I carried S/P for two weeks before I chucked it into a hikers box. A small bottle of tabasco or the hot sauce packets from taco hell can kick up your menu a bit. I also found that packets of mayo were handy, just dump one or two into your bag of tuna and you have tuna salad. I also started with sunglasses, sunscreen etc. None made it to Canada. Thats why there are post offices. Good Luck!

hikerjohnd
12-31-2004, 12:22
Well, I'm rethinking and tweaking today - I have decided to get a new sleeping pad for starters - I never liked the work of stowing a self inflating pad and prefer a closed cell anyway. I think I like the gossamer gear torso pad (nightlight?) anyway - there goes 12 oz off the top. I'm shopping for a warmer bag and am leaning towards the campmor bag listed above, but maybe kelty's 25 deg bag - saves 6 oz for about the same price. Would a 25 deg bag do it or should I look for warmer? I am a warm sleeper and frequently shed covers, even when camping in winter (30-40 deg nights). The good news is I have trimmed my pack down to just over 25 lbs (figuring in the pad from gossamer at advertised weight) and feel pretty comfortable with that. Now on to planning resupply stops and how many days of food I can carry! I can't part with the cooking stuff yet, but I'm sure that will get tweaked on the trail!

Thanks for all the help! --John

Singletrack
01-01-2005, 10:38
Thats BS! You will need rain gear. Preferably lightweight. Frogg Toggs weigh 15 oz.

Peaks
01-01-2005, 12:56
John,

Your initial post stated that you wanted to do some cooking. So, it that's the way you want to do your hike, then by all means bring along the pots and stove that works for you. However, most thru-hikers don't put much effort into cooking. Usually it's just bring 2 cups of water to a boil, and add Liptons or something similiar. It's really pretty basic, so the alcohol stove and one pots works great for this.

My advise would be to start out with what you have. Then, if somewhere along the way you find that you are not doing the type of cooking you planned on, switch over to alcohol.

I would also recommend at least a 25 degree bag, if not something more. The Southern Appalachians are high and exposed. Some of the best advice that I heeded was to hang on to my cold weather gear until after Mt. Rodgers, and after Memorial Day. There was a heavy frost in the valleys a few days before Memorial Day when I hiked through there, and colder in the mountains.

peter_pan
01-01-2005, 21:55
Not sure that I would ditch rain gear for a plastic poncho.... 1 pound 7 oz or so is too heavy...

Take a look at rainshields O2rainwear, 10 oz for a set in the yellow or look at Driducks , same 10 oz per set, nice kakhi color...both of these are microporous poly....they both breath well...I would not use them bush wacking but they are great for the AT...field repaiable with ducttape if necessary...I have almost 1000 miles and 80 plus days on a set of rainshield with rain or use as a jacket virtually every day.

hikerjohnd
01-05-2005, 23:20
I ordered a set of driducks today - although I can't believe the weight! I'm concerend they will not be durable enough, but I'm willing to try. The company has a liberal return policy so I'm not too concerned. Frogg Toggs seem a bit pricy, but I haven't shopped for this kind of stuff before so I guess its the norm.

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana