PDA

View Full Version : Wind and Rain Gear

Jujube7
01-24-2011, 12:25
I just bought the Marmot DriClime jacket. It's a wind jacket, not a rain jacket. Does anyone skip the rain jacket and just use a poncho or something? I don't want to overkill with too many jackets. But I did find this
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops%C2%AE-GORETEX%C2%AE-PacLite%C2%AE-Rain-Jackets-for-Ladies-%3Cfont-color=red%3ECLOSEOUT%3C/font%3E/product/74203/-1196325 (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops%C2%AE-GORETEX%C2%AE-PacLite%C2%AE-Rain-Jackets-for-Ladies-%3Cfont-color=red%3ECLOSEOUT%3C/font%3E/product/74203/-1196325)and it's very tempting at that price. Any advice?

maybe clem
01-24-2011, 15:50
I've never carried a jacket or a pack cover; just a Packa. In all the time I've spent on the A.T. if it's windy enough to merit a jacket it's also been raining.

Jedeye
01-24-2011, 15:57
I went for the wind shirt/ poncho option and it worked pretty good. It was a little more effort than I would like taking the poncho on and off for just a short drizzle, it got the job done. I did think the poncho made a great pack cover. I have not used the Packa, but the concept looks awesome!

Bags4266
01-24-2011, 16:29
That Marmot is 11 oz according to steap n cheap. Pretty heavy just for a wind jacket

garlic08
01-24-2011, 18:59
The Marmot Driclime has been my favorite hiking garment for many miles on many trails. I'm about to buy a third one, having worn out two so far. It's worked well in the desert, the Pacific Northwest, the Rockies, and the AT. Combined with a mid-weight jersey, it's the only insulation I carry for a three-season hike. You'll probably like yours. too.

You do need a rain jacket in addition to the Driclime. I carry a non-breathable home-made silnylon shell that weighs a few ounces. If you plan to hike mostly below tree line, a poncho would be fine, too.

The jacket you show does not list its weight. I wouldn't buy a rain jacket that weighs more than 13 or 14 oz. If it's marketed to anglers, they usually don't care much about weight and bulk. That's not a bad price for Goretex if it's not too heavy. If I needed to buy something at a store right now, I'd get a cheaper breathable jacket (Red Ledge was the last one I had) for around $40. They usually weigh around 12-14 oz.

300winmag
09-04-2011, 21:24
I just bought (9/2/'11) and REI eVent parka and will use it as a wind jacket as well since it breathes so well. Gotta have items serve mutiple purposes when possible.

That same parka over a light down jacket adds a suprising amount of warmth.

aaronthebugbuffet
09-04-2011, 21:35
That Marmot is 11 oz according to steap n cheap. Pretty heavy just for a wind jacket

It's more insulation than what most companies call a wind shirt or jacket which is usually just a nylon shell.

Jujube, look at a lightweight poncho or dri ducks jacket. I prefer a jacket.
Those heavier jackets like the gore tex shells are usually overkill for hiking.

q-tip
09-05-2011, 11:29
I use a Marmot 7 oz jacket, wind pants 3oz and bring a garbage bag rain skirt and a garbage bag rain shirt. both worked great in Nov high wind and rain.