PDA

View Full Version : Bartram/Foothill Trail

Mountain Dog
01-24-2011, 14:02
I plan to hike the Bartram this spring. I'll probably do it in two trips because I'll have my wife accompany me on part of it. I've hiked the FHT and have all the detailed data needed to do the Bartram, including road crossings and parking. But, I have not heard anything about the safety of the different parking areas. I know vandalism is always possible but some places have reputations as being worse than others. Any experience or recommendations regarding parking along the Bartram? I'll use the NOC at the northern end. All feedback will be appreciated.

10-K
01-24-2011, 14:09
Doesn't it begin/end on the AT and Foothills Trail?

How far from the Foothills Trail to NOC?

Just curious...

Mountain Dog
01-24-2011, 14:36
It actually starts on the Chattooga River Trail at Russell Bridge. The Chattooga River Trail and the FHT share a common bed for a little distance. I think (need to pull my data books to be sure) the Bartram hits the River trail about 8 to 10 miles west of the split of the FHT and the river trail. The northern end crosses the highway (hwy 19 I think) headed to the NOC west of the NOC and junctions with the AT at the northern end at Cheoah Ball. From The junction at Cheoah you can hike about 8 miles south on the AT to NOC.

Canada Goose
01-24-2011, 15:28
I parked my car at NOC and got a shuttle to Russell Bridge from Jeff Hoch at the Hike Inn.

http://thehikeinn.netfirms.com/

Some of the trailheads along the way are pretty remote, and could be okay, or not. You could scout out parking options at some of the churches I saw on the roadwalk section. Or, Franklin lies about halfway along the route. Lots of parking there. Maybe the North Carolina Bartram Trail Association could assist you.

http://www.ncbartramtrail.org/

They just put out an excellent map this year, if you don't already have it. Enjoy your hike - it's a great trail!

CG

Tenderheart
01-24-2011, 15:39
I parked my car at NOC and got a shuttle to Russell Bridge from Jeff Hoch at the Hike Inn.

http://thehikeinn.netfirms.com/

Some of the trailheads along the way are pretty remote, and could be okay, or not. You could scout out parking options at some of the churches I saw on the roadwalk section. Or, Franklin lies about halfway along the route. Lots of parking there. Maybe the North Carolina Bartram Trail Association could assist you.

http://www.ncbartramtrail.org/

They just put out an excellent map this year, if you don't already have it. Enjoy your hike - it's a great trail!

CG

Are you the same Canada Goose that I ran into at Plumorchard Shelter in Georgia and then later in NC in 2000? You were hiking with the Ragamuffins or something like that. Hello again if you be that man.

Mountain Dog
01-24-2011, 15:47
Thanks CG. I did not realize Jeff shuttled for the Bartrram. I used him when I was sectioning the AT, great people. I have a line on shuttle help from the NC association, one being near NOC. I'll get their input about parking but meanwhile, I was looking for realitively safe places before deciding how to split the hike. I'll forego the road walk. The stuff I have even recommends against the road walk if possible. Seems like the shoulders are narrow and the drivers are crazy.

The Solemates
01-25-2011, 01:02
the bartram is actually one of the few places that we have ever had vandalism, and we have literally parked THOUSANDS of places throughout the entire US.

we parked at a backroad crossing near the GA/NC line one year when we were sectioning the GA Bartram. 3 days later we came to where our car was left...and no car! we waited a while, and then two TOTAL strangers handed us the keys to their car and said "just leave it at so and so gas station". so, off we went to shuttle ourselves back to russell bridge (we had a car at both ends of the trail). our worst day on the trail was accompanied with some of the best trail magic!

turns out, we found it in the police impound lot. they had gotten a call that a car was "blocking the road". apparently in the middle of the night, some thieves decided to steal our car, but got spooked by something, left it in the middle of the road, and took off. unfortunately they didnt leave without banging in the taillights and damaging the back quarter panel. insurance covered it, but it was a pain.

we were irate, but given the number of times we have parked in the backwoods and never had any problems but one, i'd say our 0.000001% vandalism rate is acceptable.

all that to say - take the necessary precautions, but you never know.

Mountain Dog
01-25-2011, 16:00
Was your car parked at Hales Ridge Road? I was thinking about that or Osage Overlook as a possibility. Hales Ridge is remote which means fewer people will see it and be tempted to do damage. However, being Remote it also invites privacy while the cowards damage the vehicle.

The Solemates
01-25-2011, 20:35
Was your car parked at Hales Ridge Road? I was thinking about that or Osage Overlook as a possibility. Hales Ridge is remote which means fewer people will see it and be tempted to do damage. However, being Remote it also invites privacy while the cowards damage the vehicle.

yes - hales ridge that was it. i have also parked at osage overlook for several days and had no problems there. in fact, the several days i parked at osage i had stuff in the back of my open air pickup (bookshelf, a chair, and some misc furniture covered with tarps) and no one touched it. foolish, i know, but i was driving cross country and had no choice if i wanted to hike :)

Canada Goose
01-26-2011, 00:23
Are you the same Canada Goose that I ran into at Plumorchard Shelter in Georgia and then later in NC in 2000? You were hiking with the Ragamuffins or something like that. Hello again if you be that man.

Yes, that be me! I hiked the A.T. in sections over the years of 1991 to 2004. That allowed me to meet lots of folks along the way, and share many experiences. Ed Garvey inspired me to initially to start hiking, via his book "Appalachian Hiker II". One of the first hikers I met was Lone Wolf, and he was a big influence too.

Each section was chosen to place me in the thru-hiking "crowd". I learned a lot that way, but missed out on the comaraderie of the "Thru Hiker". Until April 1999, that is, when my section started at Springer Mtn, heading north to Wallace Gap NC. That year, I started at mile zero with every one else. I met Wadi at Springer Mtn shelter that first day. The rest I met at Hawk Mtn shelter that night. We were a rag-tag bunch: young and old, male and female. Somehow the name "Ragamuffins" came up, and we accepted it gladly. We had a great time! We hitched in and out of Helen Ga., just for "burgers n' beer", before cowboy camping on the top of Rocky Mtn. We stayed at the "Blueberry Patch", having dinner together at the Monte Alban Mexican restaurant, and getting a tour of Hiawassee after dark in the back of the ex-sherrif's pick-up truck. Pictures, and high-fives all around, at the GA/NC signpost!

That trip is still my most favorite section of all the ones I have done. I felt so free, and alive. I did not want to get off the trail. I wanted to keep going. I often wonder if I should have....

The next year was Y2K, and there was expected to be "thousands" on the trail. My hike was to go from Erwin to Damascus (you would have met me along here), so I figured the throngs would be whittled down by then. Well, not quite, as there were lots of hikers still on the trail. I had a mail drop at Kincora, but when I got there at noon one sunny day, the hostel was full (both inside and out!) I hiked on to the next shelter.

This was also the year of the formation of the "Travelling Bill's". I met them, as well as my best friend "Walkin' Home" at Apple House shelter.
You'll find that story on another thread here...

Thanks for the Shout Out! :sun

CG

Canada Goose
01-26-2011, 00:36
I'll forego the road walk. The stuff I have even recommends against the road walk if possible. Seems like the shoulders are narrow and the drivers are crazy.

The shoulders of the road are narrow in places, but I didn't encounter any crazy drivers (I may have just been lucky!)

Although tedious, I sort of enjoyed the walk a little. You see the farms up close, and the valley views lend a different perspective to the hike. I actually met a nice local, out for a morning walk. He had motorcycled across Canada, and so we had a common interest: Tim Horton's coffee.

CG

Canada Goose
01-26-2011, 01:29
the bartram is actually one of the few places that we have ever had vandalism, and we have literally parked THOUSANDS of places throughout the entire US.

we parked at a backroad crossing near the GA/NC line one year when we were sectioning the GA Bartram. 3 days later we came to where our car was left...and no car!

I would not leave my car at any of the Georgia trailheads, or Hales Ridge Rd. These are remote, isolated spots, that have local traffic only. Osage Overlook is a large, paved pull-out on a well travelled paved road, and seems much more secure. Still, I would be cautious about leaving it there on a Friday or Saturday night in warm weather.

Looking at the map, I might investigate parking at a gas station / convenience store (Scaly Mtn) indicated about 3 miles west of the overlook, or a local homeowner. Further north is a parking area at Jones Gap trailhead. Getting there involves driving up a narrow forest service road (with switchbacks), but is a travel destination (no through traffic) so less likely to attract attention from passers-by.

For me, it was 3 days to Osage Overlook, and 1-1/2 days to Franklin. I think, on balance, I would park in Franklin and get shuttled down there. There are shuttlers listed on the ATC list here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%201-14-11.pdf

Again, this is an awesome hike. The Geogia section is different from the Fishhawk section, which is different from ...etc.

CG

brian2o0o
01-26-2011, 05:00
I have parked at Osage and Hale Ridge Rd many times without problems. If I had to pick between the two I would pick the Osage overlook. Hale Ridge Rd is definately more remote, which might invite more of a problem as others have said. I have also parked on the Georgia side of Russell Bridge in the gravel pull off without problems. You can combine the foothills trail, chattooga river trail, bartram, and appalachian for a longer hike without ever leaving the trail.