PDA

View Full Version : Houses Along the AT

harpersbooks
01-24-2011, 15:07
I live in Harpers Ferry and we have an amazing cottage not even 100 yards from the trail, just up from Jefferson rock, you know where I mean. We would donate it if we were rich, but we are not. We love the trail and think the trail could benefit from it being used to serve the AT community. Any suggestions on who we could work with?

Tenderheart
01-24-2011, 15:13
I live in Harpers Ferry and we have an amazing cottage not even 100 yards from the trail, just up from Jefferson rock, you know where I mean. We would donate it if we were rich, but we are not. We love the trail and think the trail could benefit from it being used to serve the AT community. Any suggestions on who we could work with?

How about the good old Appalachian Trail Conservancy right there in HP?

litefoot 2000

Tenderheart
01-24-2011, 15:14
Sorry, I meant HF, not HP.

Sailor (The other one)
01-24-2011, 15:20
How do you see it being used?

Newb
01-24-2011, 15:27
I vote for a Kegger!

fehchet
01-24-2011, 16:00
Possibly Miss Janet would be interested.

hobbs
01-24-2011, 16:21
how about allowing thru hikers to camp in your yard and make it a Hostel? That way you help offset your morgage and help the hikers..just a thought rather than donateing and a few years. You could sell to someone who wants to continue in that endeavor!!!

Blissful
01-24-2011, 16:31
Wish I could buy it. Sounds great. :(

harpersbooks
01-24-2011, 19:55
Great thoughts thanks.

Well I haven't asked the ATC directly but of course I know many there and could ask. The camping in the yard thing sounds like fun but probably would last a night or two before the town shut us down. Right now I am working on converting the garage into a nice guest house. It could easily be warm accommodations with great bath for 3-4 on cots. The cottage itself is small, would make a great house for special guests, researchers, or a resident hiker/author/photographer etc...Even one idea would be an annual fellowship/hiking themed scholarship. The house is unbelievably charming, actually too much charm. Here is a link. http://www.harpersferrycottage.info/

Please keep the ideas coming its a great idea to think about and I would hate to miss an opportunity to do something really cool with or slice of paradise here.

Luddite
01-24-2011, 20:04
Turn it into a bar/card room.

pistol p
01-25-2011, 00:15
Nice lookin' place. Wish I had the cash!

mweinstone
01-25-2011, 00:29
if the town could be persuaded to allow a hostel it would be large enough if it was emptyed and filled with bunks top to bottom porch to rear. it could sleep alot of folks if done right. and as harpers can be unfun to find a bed in, it would be full alot.if it was 10 bucks and had laundry with coin op and no kitchen it might do well.it would not have a common room . just bunks everywhere to the ceiling . the porch would be closed in and more bunks.no heat. no resupply. just a caretaker, me, and hikers. it could be very respectable as harpers aint the place to party and folks know it. that , and the hilly roads make for quiet tires hikers.

mweinstone
01-25-2011, 00:34
i could restore the building to mint condish and plant a fantastic flower garden . i could be there by noon tommorow to start work. all you need is to fight an uphill long battle with the town and the park service and neighbors and the laws would have to be changed and you would have to present reasons why harpers wants to do this,...or you need to find who to bribe and open imediatly. im feeling treehouse honeymoon suite. u feel me?i can do this. lets say well go to home depot at 6. that gives me time to mess with my harpers peeps and carry bonzo to his van so he can give me a lift.

chief
01-25-2011, 14:36
Nice cottage, nice yard, nice area, nice renovation! You should preserve that 100 yards separation from hikers at all cost.

Sickmont
01-25-2011, 14:47
Wow.....can i rent that?

mweinstone
01-26-2011, 00:06
ill do anything to own that house. name it.

TallShark
01-26-2011, 00:52
i wouldn't feel right stepping in there until you hosed me off... love how the range and hood are by themselves sort of freestanding and i love the couch. looks like a nice place for a steak, then a book, and a nap, in no particular order.

mweinstone
01-26-2011, 00:59
im feeling rooftop rainwater fed solar powered self contained automatic trout farm