PDA

View Full Version : First Hike & Need Advice

mississippihiker
01-24-2011, 18:25
Making plans to hike the Georgia Section of the AT in May. This is my first time on the trail, but have experience from my days in Scouts as well as doing some "intense" training up and until the hike. Is 7 days realistic to hike this section? Any advice in terms of what to expect on the GA section? Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-24-2011, 18:27
7 days is realistic. have fun

Sierra Echo
01-24-2011, 18:35
I'm thru hiking GA in may! Maybe I will see you on the trail!

scope
01-24-2011, 18:40
Yes, that's a good length of time to allow. What are your end points? That can greatly affect the length of time needed, but at 24 you should be able to do Amicalola to Deep Gap (NC) in those 7 days (~90m). Also depends on how much weight you have on your back, no matter how young.

mississippihiker
01-24-2011, 20:11
Great advice. Keep it coming.

Scope: Well my planning thus far is to start at the beginning (Springer from what I've been able to gather, correct?) and then try to end right at the TN line, but the transportation availability there is of course a factor. I'm open to suggestions on where is best to both start and finish, but something about starting at the beginning feels right. I don't anticipate ever being able to due a thru hike, so starting at Spring in GA, will enable me to have some kind of a specific if that makes sense. Thoughts?

Sierra Echo
01-24-2011, 20:13
My dad is dumping me out at Standing Indian and I'm walking back to my car at Amicalola. I might even stop for a night at the Len Foote Hike Inn!

mississippihiker
01-24-2011, 20:18
Correction: I said TN line, I mean to the NC/GA line.

My lack of knowledge is why I'm starting to plan now!

Tagless
01-24-2011, 21:44
Getting to the Franklin, NC road crossing (Winding Stairs Gap) should be doable if you can allow 8 days. That's a convenient place to get off the trail.

Whatever you decide to do - have a great hike!!:sun

FatMan
01-24-2011, 21:50
I recommend Early May. it's a great time to hike GA. Most thru hikers are gone and the weather will be quite pleasant. Late May can be hot

cowpoke
01-24-2011, 21:52
Have fun.....don't under estimate the GA section....might consider going on up to Deep Gap and taking the Kimsey creek trail into Standing Indian Campground....easy out.....have a great hike.

Alien Grey 1972
01-24-2011, 23:24
First timer here also. Planning on only doing the GA section also in May sometime.
Transportation seems to be the biggest hang up for me. Probably going to GreyHound bus it to and from. Hope to see you on the trail.

jesse
01-24-2011, 23:58
What about Transportation? Is somebody dropping you off, or will you be parking a car? If Parking a car, I would park at Amacalola State Park, and get a shuttle to Dicks Creek Gap, or deep Gap NC, and walk SOBO to the car. There isn't a good road near the GA/NC line.

mississippihiker
01-25-2011, 00:02
Thanks for the responses. Hope to see some of you along the way. One probably common question I figure I'd toss out there: What kind of packs do you all use...mainly internal/external, # of liters, brand, typical weight to carry for a week? Thanks again for your help. Come visit MS, lots of beautiful places to see.

mississippihiker
01-25-2011, 00:09
Jesse: Is there any way to do the GA portion then all at once, given the lack of transportation at the line? Would it be best to go NOBO to the line, then back to Amacalola in order to cover it all?

jesse
01-25-2011, 00:25
To do all of GA you would need to go to Deep Gap NC. from Amacalola Falls to Deep Gap NC is about 90 miles.
Another option, If you don't want to bother with a shuttle would be to do a 60 mile loop. Park your car at Winfield Scott Lake, and hike the AT, Duncan Ridge, and Benton Mackaye loop.

jesse
01-25-2011, 00:25
To do all of GA you would need to go to Deep Gap NC. from Amacalola Falls to Deep Gap NC is about 90 miles.
Another option, If you don't want to bother with a shuttle would be to do a 60 mile loop. Park your car at Winfield Scott Lake, and hike the AT, Duncan Ridge, and Benton Mackaye loop.

Spokes
01-25-2011, 00:31
This 10 page article (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530), appearing in Backpacker Magazine, gives you an overview of each of the AT sections. Flip to page 2 (found under the reader ratings sections) to find. Ignore the pop-up if you get it.

Cheers!

mississippihiker
01-25-2011, 00:36
Where can I find info about these loops, I've used GATC's site and it has been helpful, but I wasn't aware of the loop options. Thanks for the input

mississippihiker
01-25-2011, 01:56
found what i needed.

fredmugs
01-25-2011, 08:14
If you are looking to eventually hike the entire trail I would highly recommend hiking to Hwy 64 since it is an easy area to be picked up at and dropped off again for your next hike. Deep Gap would be another option but the forest road into there isn't open during the winter months. My first AT hike was Springer to Deep Gap during May at it was so awesome I decided to do the rest and hoping to finish up this year.

fredmugs
01-25-2011, 08:14
If you are looking to eventually hike the entire trail I would highly recommend hiking to Hwy 64 since it is an easy area to be picked up at and dropped off again for your next hike. Deep Gap would be another option but the forest road into there isn't open during the winter months. My first AT hike was Springer to Deep Gap during May at it was so awesome I decided to do the rest and hoping to finish up this year.

Cookerhiker
01-25-2011, 09:03
2 comments here:

1. A few posters have recommended hiking all the way to Rt. 64/Winding Stair Gap, a distance of 108 miles from Springer. It's possible for many hikers - you just have to ask yourself if you want to average over 15 mpd in your 7 days (and that doesn't count however you're getting to Springer's summit). My impression from your opening post was you wanted to take things slow.

2. For those who have asked about transportation, the ATC publishes a list of options: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%201-14-11.pdf

If you're not an ATC member, I'd encourage you to join.

mississippihiker
01-25-2011, 15:01
Fred: How long did it take you total to do the hike? What'd you average per day?

Bearbag
01-25-2011, 15:51
The closest place to get picked up on the GA / NC border is at the end of the road past Tate City, GA (population 32, there is a sign). It comes within 2 miles of the AT just inside NC. There is a side trail from AT to parking. Everyone has an opinion so here is mine, 7-9 days if you are in great trail shape. I would suggest only 5-7 miles per day starting out. You risk injury if you just blast off. Take your time and enjoy the walk... its not a race and you miss too much staring at the ground in front of you. Take it for what it's worth. Hope you have a blessed trip.

mississippihiker
01-27-2011, 21:26
I think I've got my logistics worked out, but leaving room for change if need be. Thanks for all the advice and best of luck in all your travels.