PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Vapor Trail.

UCONNMike
12-29-2004, 23:06
is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail 3600 really as wicked awesome as the reviews i have been reading? I'm having second thoughts about the pack i ordered (mountainsmith auspex) and think that the vapor trail may be more conducive to my light weight (not quite ultra light, but close) hiking preference. My base weight is looking to be in the low teens (less than 16 is my guess) and my concern is the size of the mountainsmith pack. Also, for those who have used the Vapor trail pack, did you like the top loader that didnt have the flap on the top? what is that like? what are the pros and cons to having the opening exposed?
-Thanks

JillJones
12-30-2004, 00:53
is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail 3600 really as wicked awesome as the reviews i have been reading? I'm having second thoughts about the pack i ordered (mountainsmith auspex) and think that the vapor trail may be more conducive to my light weight (not quite ultra light, but close) hiking preference. My base weight is looking to be in the low teens (less than 16 is my guess) and my concern is the size of the mountainsmith pack. Also, for those who have used the Vapor trail pack, did you like the top loader that didnt have the flap on the top? what is that like? what are the pros and cons to having the opening exposed?
-Thanks
I love mine... It's great as long as I kept my weight in the pack down to 25 lbs.

Kerosene
12-30-2004, 01:17
I've got the Vapor Trail's bigger brother, the 3800 cube Nimbus Ozone that weighs in at 3 pounds. I'd definitely go with the VT if you can keep your total weight to 23-27 pounds. My total weight with 3 days of consummables in 26 pounds (spring/fall), but I was willing to give up a pound to give me the ability to carry 35 pounds comfortably if needed.

The VT and NO close the same way. It works very well, and the cross-strapping even allows you to strap in your fleece to keep it more accessible. My only gripe is the lack of any sort of zippered pocket for small stuff you might want readily accessible, although the stretchy side pockets can hold more than a water bottle pretty easily (I stuff my first aid kit and pack cover in mine). Note that you can now purchase a "lid" with a pocket for $20 (click here (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/GG350)), but it's not clear how big the pocket is, how it's closed, or total weight.

Haiku
12-30-2004, 03:17
I switched from a Golite Breeze to the Vapor Trail halfway through the Trail (Front Royal, VA), and never regretted it. I love my Vapor Trail. That said, I still want to make my own pack because I saw a few things on other packs that I'd like to incorporate, but I'll keep the basic suspension of my pack like the Vapor Trail's. The only complaint I had about the Vapor Trail is that when you're underloading it (as I did; I have the long torso version, and it's really too big for my needs, but what can a tall guy like me do) the extension collar doesn't pack down very well. But that's really a technicality; in terms of suspension and load carrying comfort, it's unbeatable.

Haiku.

foodbag
12-30-2004, 11:46
Comfortable, durable and reasonably priced. It works for me....

tlbj6142
12-30-2004, 11:57
The side pocket issue sort of sucks, but it is easy to work around and/or deal with. If you have to fill the extension collor the pack becomes a bit weird (flops a bit and becomes too tall).

Otherwise it is a nice pack if it fits. That's the problem with non adjustable packs, you better be a perfect S/M/L otherwise the pack may become uncomfortable. Espeically under loads and/or at the end of a long day/trip.

gravityman
12-30-2004, 12:23
The side pocket issue sort of sucks, but it is easy to work around and/or deal with. If you have to fill the extension collor the pack becomes a bit weird (flops a bit and becomes too tall).

Otherwise it is a nice pack if it fits. That's the problem with non adjustable packs, you better be a perfect S/M/L otherwise the pack may become uncomfortable. Espeically under loads and/or at the end of a long day/trip.

Interesting, I LOVE the pockets, and find that when I went back to my Osprey ether for winter that I really missed them. I can shove a bunch of stuff in there and it is easily available. Much easier than a lid. But I do have a hydration system, and believe if you had bottles, that pockets probably would stink.

I also like to pack it high. It helps get the load lifters working. You do have to pack it dense, otherwise you get the flopping issue.

Just goes to show how user dependent a pack can be...

Gravity

gravityman
12-30-2004, 12:24
Looks like they made some mods in 2005. We tried it one, and it seemed to have a different torso length and hip belt. Curious if they fixed the reported "buckle sliding" issue.

Gravity

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 12:58
Switched over to the Vapor Trail in Pearisburg on my thru-hike last year. Had too much stuff at first and it didn't feel quite right. Then I got my act together and dropped my pack weight to 24 lbs ...that was the problem.

Hiked the Vapor Trail all the way to Katahdin and loved it. Still has a lot of life left in it but my wife has taken a liking to the pack so I may have to get another one.

Everything you need and nothing you don't. A basic bag with just enough external pocket space for frequently needed items. I would strongly suggest a bag liner though. I had a silnylon pack cover that fit the pack well but because of the lower rise in the back it sometimes allowed rain to get in from the backside. I used a plastic trash compactor bag and never had any wet clothing or gear. Also allowed me to set the pack down without worrying about the wet ground (which there was a lot of in 2003)

'Slogger
AT 2003

tlbj6142
12-30-2004, 13:54
Interesting, I LOVE the pocketsThe material and size is great. Its the fact that the compression strap runs right across the damn thing that doesn't make any sense. Why would I want to compress my water bottle?

You do have to be careful about filling the pockets before you stuff the main bag, otherwise their may not be any "room" left for the pockets. Again, nothing major (many packs have this issue), but it has to be dealt with.

JoeHiker
12-30-2004, 13:57
I tried one on at REI a few weeks ago and loved how it felt. But I need external pockets so I had to rule this one out.

grrickar
12-30-2004, 14:28
Anyone here ever used both a VT and a Gregory G pack? Campmor really has the G Pack cheap ($69!) and that has me thinking about one. I checked one out briefly at REI, but did not try it on. I mainly checked the construction.

I saw a side by side review, but the G pack the person carried in the review had a sewing flaw, which Gregory acknowledged and replaced. After the isuse the guy had with the pack he returned it and got a Vapor Trail.

karo
12-30-2004, 16:51
I have the GG Vapor Trail and I love it. I got lightweight this year and have my packweight at 20-30 pounds depending on weather. I added on a small pouch on the side for items to be close at hand, ie. camera, headlamp, meds, etc. This is the first pack I could hike comfortably in without fidgeting with the shoulder straps and adjusting something all the time.

Kerosene
12-30-2004, 18:07
...believe if you had bottles, that pockets probably would stink.GravityI purchased a gravity feed hose and bite valve from Nalgene that replaces the lid on a flexible Nalgene Canteen that goes upside down in one of the side pockets. I've found this preferable to hydration bladders.

karo
12-30-2004, 18:43
That sounds like a great idea and I will try it. It is difficult to pack a bladder in the sleeve next to your back with a fully stuffed Vapor Trail pack. I usually have a Nalgene bottle in my side pocket with either the new Crystal Light Sunrise Orange of Gatorade for something besides water.

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 18:44
I purchased a gravity feed hose and bite valve from Nalgene that replaces the lid on a flexible Nalgene Canteen that goes upside down in one of the side pockets. I've found this preferable to hydration bladders.=========================================
Here's another option (tried and proven) if you need to keep the side pockets open for other stuff. I carried a 1.8 Liter Platypus horizontally on top of the Vapor Trail and let the hose hang over my shoulder. Bought one of those fancy CamelBack hose clips and fastened it to my shoulder strap. I would fill the platy and then roll it up in the storm shield of the Vapor Trail. Then I would use the cross-wise straps to hold it in place. Worked like a charm.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Minerva
12-30-2004, 20:37
Anyone here ever used both a VT and a Gregory G pack?

Yes, and the Vapor Trail is a better pack.

The VT has a better suspension, better shoulder straps and hip belt and is more rugged. Bought mine in June this past summer and used it for over 500 miles. The Gpack I bought in 2003, it started to fall apart in 2.5 miles on the trail. The top lid is a junk drawer and really not needed.

Buy the VT, not the Gregory.
Cindy

Tripod
12-30-2004, 21:04
Just purchased a VT from Bluff Mtn in Hot springs (one left, 20% off!). Loaded most of my stuff and did a quick 6 miles down the creek from Paint Creek campground. So far I think I like it better than my ULA-P2 except for the belt pockets on the ULA. They are really nice.

Has anyone tried using a small fanny pack or similar stuff sack attached to the front of the shoulder straps for those small things you want to keep at hand?

Also weighed the VT and it came to 2lbs 2.5 oz. With a sil pack cover it was 2lbs 6.5 oz. This is a full pound less than my ULA!

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 21:52
Has anyone tried using a small fanny pack or similar stuff sack attached to the front of the shoulder straps for those small things you want to keep at hand?
==========================================
That's exactly what I did in 2003. Bought a small fanny pack that carried my wallet, camera and snacks. Snapped it around my waist and then put on the Vapor Trail. The strap from the fanny pack fit under neath the hip belt of the pack. It worked great and that way I always had the stuff I needed right in front of me.

I have to admit, I do like the idea of small pouches on the hip belt itself like the P2. I also own the ULA Fusion that has those pouches. But to be honest I still like the Vapor Trail better.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2004, 22:19
I worked at two different Trail Outfitters last year, in Hot Springs and Harper's Ferry.

*Granite Gear was certainly the most popular pack manufacturer out there.
You saw Vapor Trails and Ozones EVERYWHERE.
*It was the overwhelming "switch" pack for those who'd started with a
different pack and wanted to switch out to something smaller or more
comfortable. I can't remember how many people I dealt with in both stores this past year (especially Hot Springs) who happily left town with new Granite Gear packs, but it was a lot.
*I ran into a lot of these folks later on down the Trail, several months and
hundreds of miles later on, and I can't recall ANYONE having a complaint
about their new packs or regretting their decision to switch over.
*Just after Granite Gear, the 2nd most popular pack that folks switched to
was the Osprey Aether 60 (or its larger cousin, the Aether 75).

In short, GG in a few short years has become a popular choice, and the level of customer satisfaction with both the Vapor Trail and the Ozone seems to be very high.

karo
12-31-2004, 01:23

I solved this problem with a small attachable pocket on my hipbelt. I think it is Sierra Designs, I'll look tomorrow and see for sure. I holds snacks, a camera, a headlamp, etc. It works great. There is a pic on my website in the Roan Mountain 12-2004 and you can just make it out. It is light blue. You could get 2 and have one on each side if you needed that much space. I am trying to keep the weight down, so one is just fine with me. I mentioned earlier that my packweight was 20-30 lbs. Actually I got it down to 17 without food and water. That is a 2 lb. 32 degree bag (3 season) and filter, clothes, tarp, hammock, pepsi can stove (cobra) and fuel.

Kerosene
12-31-2004, 12:17
I've successfully used the Dana Designs Wet Rib (300 cu. in. zippered pocket with a holder for a 20 oz. sport water bottle) hooked into the Ozone harness. They also have a Dry Rib (no water bottle) that I would estimate to weigh a few ounces less than the Wet Rib's 6 ounces.

I would also love to see hipbelt attached pockets a la the ULA P-2.

karo
12-31-2004, 16:50
Here is the link I was talking about in the above post. It is Outdoor Research.
http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/storage/storage_pockets/34450 You could use two or one, and they are removeable so you could leave it off if not needed. I got mine on sale, check out Blue Ridge Mtn Sports half price sales in Jan.

Tripod
12-31-2004, 17:55
Thanks Karo. I have one more question. The ad says it attaches using Qik-Stik attachment system. Exactly how does this work?

I do like the water proof feature.

tlbj6142
01-01-2005, 11:41
The ad says it attaches using Qik-Stik attachment system. Exactly how does this work?Its a fancy term for velcro. If I remember correctly, its single sex velcro which allows for more adjustability. Their Possum pouches use the same thing. And are typically found in many local and big box outfitters. If you just want to see the system.

UCONNMike
01-02-2005, 18:04
Well I tryed on the GG Vapor Trail at EMS today (had to drive 45 minutes to one that had the pack) and all I can say abou tthe pack is "WOW." I loaded all my gear into the pack while i was at the store, and it fit perfectly inside the pack, and when i put it on it felt great on my back. I will def. be ordering the pack tonite onlineand cancel my order for the Mountainsmith Auspex. Thanks for all the review on the pack, the really helped and were all true. Oh and the newest version of the VT has a compartment for a water bladder and an opening for the drinking tube.

Singletrack
01-02-2005, 19:44
Make sure when you order it online, that you specify the 2005 Model with the interior water bladder sleeve. Or they might send the 2004 model, without. Just a thought.

A-Train
01-02-2005, 20:33
Would someone at 6'1 want a medium or large size in the VT?

UCONNMike
01-02-2005, 20:35
Would someone at 6'1 want a medium or large size in the VT?
im 6'3" and i took a large

karo
01-02-2005, 20:40
A-train, I am 5'10 and I got a large, that is defenitley what I would recommend for you. I know the small does loose some capacity, so go for the large.

UCONN, I have a 2004 model from Bink's Outfitters, backpackingdeals .com, and it does have an inner sleeve next to your back for a bladder, but no outlet hole for the tube. It this the way the new model is? They also have a top cover I am thinking about ordering as soon as it it available. I don't know if I will use it all the time, but it may be useful.

UCONNMike
01-02-2005, 20:58
yeah, the new model has an outlet hole for the tube

karo
01-02-2005, 21:11
Tripod, The quik stik is just velcro backed plastic strip to hold it rigid so it will go over a hipbelt.

Kerosene
01-02-2005, 22:29
They also have a top cover I am thinking about ordering as soon as it it available.Here is a link (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=GG350) to the top lid (with a pocket) which appears to be available at backcountrygear.com. I do not know the size of the pocket, how it's closed or the weight of the lid.

UCONNMike
01-04-2005, 15:16
i ordered the granite gear vapor trail pack off of campmor, and i called to see what model it was, and it was the 2004 version with the water bladder sleeve but no openign for the hose

gravityman
01-04-2005, 16:03
i ordered the granite gear vapor trail pack off of campmor, and i called to see what model it was, and it was the 2004 version with the water bladder sleeve but no openign for the hose

This sounds like the old model. The old model has a sleeve between the framesheet and the main sack and no port. The new model has a sleeve INSIDE the sack and a port to get the hose out.

Not sure that the new model is significantly better than the old. The one thing I liked about the new model is that you can move the sternum strap lower than the old model. I still have to go an actually try it on. Looks like they changed the sizes up a little as well... and the hipbelt looks somewhat different.

Gravity

Singletrack
02-03-2005, 15:52
I just got a top pocket for my Vapor Trail, and can also use it on my Virga. It's easy to attach and remove. Weighs 2.2 oz. It has a waterproof zipper on the front that opens up for storage, both below and above the zipper. The front is made out of the same stretch material that both the VT and Virga have as side pockets. I placed a full 1 liter platy, with hoser, toilet paper, and first aid personal care items in. And still have room for candy bars etc. Retails for $20. I had my doubts about a top pocket, but I think this will be a great addition for all 3 of GG's ultralite packs.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 16:44
I just got a top pocket for my Vapor Trail, and can also use it on my Virga. It's easy to attach and remove. Weighs 2.2 oz. It has a waterproof zipper on the front that opens up for storage, both below and above the zipper. The front is made out of the same stretch material that both the VT and Virga have as side pockets. I placed a full 1 liter platy, with hoser, toilet paper, and first aid personal care items in. And still have room for candy bars etc. Retails for $20. I had my doubts about a top pocket, but I think this will be a great addition for all 3 of GG's ultralite packs.===================================
Great feedback. I just orded "the lid" for the Vapor Trail yesterday. Looking forward to having that extra flap to store things under and the zipper pouch for snacks. Thanks for that note.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 17:15
A-train, I am 5'10 and I got a large, that is defenitley what I would recommend for you. ====================================
I would agree that the large is right for A-Train but I'm 5'10" (19" torso) and chose the Medium. I bought the Vapor Trail when I hit Pearisburg on my thru-hike in 2003. I had my choice of the of the large and medium. The packsheet on the large stuck up over my shoulders too much and curved downward when I pulled on the load lifters.

Not sure what the difference in capacity/weight is between the medium and large bags but if I had it to do all over again I'd still choose the medium.

'Slogger
AT 2003

gravityman
02-03-2005, 17:23
====================================
I would agree that the large is right for A-Train but I'm 5'10" (19" torso) and chose the Medium. I bought the Vapor Trail when I hit Pearisburg on my thru-hike in 2003. I had my choice of the of the large and medium. The packsheet on the large stuck up over my shoulders too much and curved downward when I pulled on the load lifters.

Not sure what the difference in capacity/weight is between the medium and large bags but if I had it to do all over again I'd still choose the medium.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Me too.. 5' 10" and got a medium...

The new frames do look shorter than last year models though...

Gravity

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 17:38
Me too.. 5' 10" and got a medium...

The new frames do look shorter than last year models though...

Gravity=================================
That's probably the answer then Gravity. I bought mine in May of 2003. Guess I'm gonna have to check out the new models.

By the way Gravity ...when's your start date ??

'Slogger
AT 2003

Kerosene
02-03-2005, 17:58
5' 9", 170 pounds, medium with narrow shoulder straps.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 18:00
5' 9", 170 pounds, medium with narrow shoulder straps.===========================
They've got narrow shoulder straps now ?? I'm really behind the times. The ones that came with mine were pretty narrow to start with.

'Slogger
AT 2003

DangerPea
02-03-2005, 18:36
Answering for gravity cause I am avoiding work & have AT on the brain, what's new??????:

Start date is 3/1 :clap

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 18:53
Answering for gravity cause I am avoiding work & have AT on the brain, what's new??????:
Start date is 3/1 :clap=============================
Thanks ...want to keep track of you guys since we're practically neighbors and all !!

Oh yeah, and I know what you mean about AT on the brain. I left on 3/29 in 2003 and I was in another zip code most of February and March.

'Slogger

wacocelt
02-03-2005, 18:56
I've been looking at both the GG VT and the Osprey Aether 60. I have seen but not tried on the Osprey pack, but REALLY like the hipbelt, backpad and suspension set-up. Can anyone that has seen, or better yet used both, tell me if the two are comparable? If the two are similar enough then price will be the deciding factor. I'm not too proud to say that a good price is a fair amount of comfort in itself.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 19:27
I've been looking at both the GG VT and the Osprey Aether 60. I have seen but not tried on the Osprey pack, but REALLY like the hipbelt, backpad and suspension set-up. Can anyone that has seen, or better yet used both, tell me if the two are comparable? If the two are similar enough then price will be the deciding factor. I'm not too proud to say that a good price is a fair amount of comfort in itself.================================
I used both on my thru-hike in 2003. They are roughly comparable in storage capacity but the Vapor Trail is easier to work with in myt opinion. The Aether 60 will carry more weight comfortably with it's hip belt and suspension, but that wasn't my goal. In fact, I was headed in the other direction. I bought the Aether 60 in Harpers Ferry and carried it to South Egremont, CT. I'd say that was a fair test. I had used my Vapor Trail up to that point and got it back in South Egremont and carried it all the way to Katahdin.

In the end I'd say it's a pretty personal decision. As I recall there is about a $40 or so difference in price (the Aether 60 being the more expensive one)After using them both I just decided that I liked the Vapor Trail better and still fell that way. I recently sold the Aether 60 to someone hiking this year. He was thrilled to get it and I have no doubt he'll like it, since it was his first choice.

'Slogger
AT 2003

wacocelt
02-03-2005, 19:36
Awesome info 'Slogger, thanks! I guess I'll have to find an Outfitter that carries both and see for myself. The $40 may be the deal breaker, but we shall see.

Singletrack
02-03-2005, 23:57
I have the 2003 Vapor Trail, and I am 5ft. 9in., with a 19 1/2 inch torso, and wear a Medium. I tried on a Large, but the Medium felt better. I have also tried on the 2005 model in a Medium, and really cannot see any difference as far as fit compared to my 2003.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 09:17
I have the 2003 Vapor Trail, and I am 5ft. 9in., with a 19 1/2 inch torso, and wear a Medium. I tried on a Large, but the Medium felt better. I have also tried on the 2005 model in a Medium, and really cannot see any difference as far as fit compared to my 2003.========================
More good feedback ...thanks Singletrack. Was thinking of ordering a second Vapor Trail but after earlier comments wasn't sure if the medium was still the right size.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Kerosene
02-04-2005, 10:14
They've got narrow shoulder straps now ?? I'm really behind the times. The ones that came with mine were pretty narrow to start with.Actually, they may have added wide shoulder straps as an option. The narrow ones seemed to fit me better, even though I thought that the wider ones might have spread the weight better.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 11:07
Actually, they may have added wide shoulder straps as an option. The narrow ones seemed to fit me better, even though I thought that the wider ones might have spread the weight better.==============================
I wonder which ones I have ?? Bought mine off the wall at an outfitter during my thru-hike in 2003 and didn't know I had the choice. Mine are around 2 - 2.5" wide. Would that be the wide or narrow ones ??

Thanks,

'Slogger

Kerosene
02-04-2005, 16:16
[QUOTE=FootsloggerI wonder which ones I have ?? Bought mine off the wall at an outfitter during my thru-hike in 2003 and didn't know I had the choice. Mine are around 2 - 2.5" wide. Would that be the wide or narrow ones ??[/QUOTE]Sounds like the narrow ones. I'd estimate the wider ones to be over 3" wide.

Singletrack
02-04-2005, 16:47
I do not know if this will help any or not, maybe muddy the water even more. GG makes a Trim and Standard shoulder harness. Trim is supposedly for the ladies, and Standard for the men. Even though the harness is not interchangeable on the VT, it is on the Ozone and some of their other packs. My Virga and VT have the same harness (shoulder straps) I would consider both having the Standard straps. And I think that is what comes on all VT and Virga's prior to 2005. I would guess the 2005's have the standard harness or shoulder strap, and cannot find in their wholesale literature where a trim could be ordered, except with the Ozone and others. The 2005 does have a pretty cedar color thread running down the length of the shoulder strap. It looks like a standard harness to me. I talked to GG by phone, and they told me their were no changes made to the 2005 VT. I asked why the change listed in the wholesale literature, that has the VT weight as 1lb. 14 oz. He said, their were no changes. Being a weight weenie, I thouught I could save some weight with a new VT. Hope this helps.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 16:53
I do not know if this will help any or not, maybe muddy the water even more. GG makes a Trim and Standard shoulder harness. Trim is supposedly for the ladies, and Standard for the men. =============================================
Well ...when I bought mine (May 2003) there were 2 on the wall, a large and a medium. Only difference I could see was in the size of the bag and frame sheet length. The shoulder straps are stitched in so I took that to mean there weren't any options.

When all is said and done, I'm guessin that I got the standard shoulder harness ...but to be honest, I can't imagine a set of shoulder straps much thinner than mine.

It's all academic for me anyway but this might be good input for someone planning on buying one now. At least it gives them the right questions to ask.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Singletrack
02-04-2005, 17:39
Footslogger, I took a quick measurement of my VT's straps, and they are 2 1/2 inches wide, at the widest point. I can imagine what a trim would look like. I too, wish they were a bit wider, but still love the VT. GG will answer any questions you might have, by e-mail or phone. They have a good service rep. They repaired my VT with no charge, when I ripped one of the side pockets after a fall.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 17:55
GG will answer any questions you might have, by e-mail or phone. They have a good service rep. They repaired my VT with no charge, when I ripped one of the side pockets after a fall.============================================= =
Thanks ...that's good to know. I've almost called them a couple times about the material used in the outer side pockets. I almost wish it was stretch mesh so that I could see into them. I crammed a lot of stuff in those pockets during my thru-hike and sometimes had to dig out both sides in order to find it.

I also wish there was a small pocket or "lip" in the center bottom of the pack to hold things I stick under the horizontal load straps. I kept quite a bit of flat stuff under those straps. I never lost anything back there but it was always on my mind

Otherwise, like you, I think it's a great pack. Everything I need and nothing I don't. I used to roll my platypus up in storm collar and fasten the crossing straps to keep in in place but I'm looking forward to havining the new "lid". Ordered it from Backcountry Gear and it should be here in a week or so.

'Slogger
AT 2003