PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Gatorade?

208AT
01-24-2011, 21:22
On the trail,does it make sense to take powdered gatorade/kool-aide,size and weight-wise,or is that something we don't need?

Camping Dave
01-24-2011, 21:23
If you like it, take it. You don't NEED it.

Llama Legs
01-24-2011, 21:29
Gatorade yes. I even make it hot in winter. Can always use the K & Na. :banana

fiddlehead
01-24-2011, 21:42
Good stuff if you can find it.
I never seem to be able to.

Serial 07
01-24-2011, 21:47
i always found powered gatorade to be a bit heavy for what it was worth...but i did like having the orange container as a second cup...easy to scoop water from streams for drinking and i soaked lentils/rice in them during the day...

208AT
01-24-2011, 21:49
Are there any other powders that provide the electrolytes and minerals?

hikingshoes
01-24-2011, 22:13
On the trail,does it make sense to take powdered gatorade/kool-aide,size and weight-wise,or is that something we don't need?

Id say go for it!!I drink gatorade on my hikes.I use it to put back electrolytes and a chg from plan water.HS

sixguns01
01-24-2011, 22:15
Are there any other powders that provide the electrolytes and minerals?

I use the powered stuff just to help mask the taste of tablets and stuff.

I heard E'mergin-C Lite packs weigh less than half of the Gatorade packs and help replenish stuff?

Cookerhiker
01-24-2011, 22:19
I bring it on a long hike after my '05 experience when I got both dehydrated and overhydrated (not at the same time).

hikingshoes
01-24-2011, 22:24
I use the powered stuff just to help mask the taste of tablets and stuff.

I heard E'mergin-C Lite packs weigh less than half of the Gatorade packs and help replenish stuff?

Ive use these as well.

Sarcasm the elf
01-24-2011, 22:40
Are we actually debating the weight/benefit trade off of powdered drink mix?

Well, as long as we are...
If you can find them, powdered Gatorade and Tang both come in single serving packets, they say to use them with 16oz of water, but I like them better diluted into a liter.

Of these two kinds of salty colored water, Gatorade is the more scientifically engineered choice and brings with it the guarantee of some sort of vague performance enhancement. Tang's just downright tasty!

Awol1970
01-24-2011, 22:47
At the end of the day after your dinner if you take 4oz of premium vodka and swirl a spit moistened index finger laden with tang around in it you have a screwdriver.

So yes it makes perfect sense and yes you obviously need it.

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2011, 22:52
HMMMM lets see took all of 12 posts.... naw not a new record Ohh Well

mweinstone
01-24-2011, 22:55
after a long day of clubbing , i like it straight on a wet finger.with roasted squrill and some hikory nuts.flp flp flp!

daddytwosticks
01-25-2011, 08:35
There are lighter alternatives to the standard Gatoraide. :)

peakbagger
01-25-2011, 08:51
Nuun tablets weigh lot less for electrolyte replacement and even have a bit of carbonation. There is no sugar in them but they do a bit of flavor (probably not enough to cover Iodine taste if you use iodine for water treatment). The down side is that Nuun tablets arent cheap and are harder to find.

For a lot of folks, the key electrolyte to replace is potassium and its not in a lot of salty foods that they crave when they are low on electrolytes. Morton light salt has a blend of sodium chloride and potassium chloride which works well for an electrolyte replacement, I occasionally add it to koolaide when I knoiw I am going to be hiking in hot conditions. A lo of the low sodium foods at grocery stores use potassium chloride as a flavoring ingredient. I drink V-8 low sodium spicy vegatable juice after a dayhike especially in the winter when I dont tend to drink enough.

elray
01-25-2011, 09:22
I'm not a nutritionist but really crave something sweet to drink with my supper. There's a product called "Propel" that can be commonly found in most grocery stores. It's light and packs well and does provide some of the essentials. I carry it because it tastes good!

middle to middle
01-25-2011, 09:22
use it at 50% strength and more than adequate.

mister krabs
01-25-2011, 09:40
The kind without sugar are lighter. I use the kroger brand ones, they have several kinds, some with electrolytes, some with vitamins.

mister krabs
01-25-2011, 09:41
oh yeah, I use one pack per liter. I don't like it too strong.

Majortrauma
01-25-2011, 09:43
I always take Gatorade on my section hikes and it is WELL worth the weight. It rapidly depletes electrolytes lost due to seat and exertion and yes, water will do that but not as fast. And yeah, if you like it, take it.
Another great product that I am taking instead of gatorade is Accelerade next time. I tried it on my previous hot weather section hike and it was a homerun. I use it anyway in my daily workout routine.

swjohnsey
01-25-2011, 09:56
Gatorade is mostly sugar so you are getting a pretty good bang for your buck as weight goes. I also like it better mixed half strength.

Tagless
01-25-2011, 10:41
I've found it very helpful on hot days - seems to boost energy level.

Cookerhiker
01-25-2011, 10:49
...For a lot of folks, the key electrolyte to replace is potassium and its not in a lot of salty foods that they crave when they are low on electrolytes. Morton light salt has a blend of sodium chloride and potassium chloride which works well for an electrolyte replacement, I occasionally add it to koolaide when I knoiw I am going to be hiking in hot conditions. A lo of the low sodium foods at grocery stores use potassium chloride as a flavoring ingredient. I drink V-8 low sodium spicy vegatable juice after a dayhike especially in the winter when I dont tend to drink enough.

Bananas are another good source of potassium. After my hydration problems in '05, I began mixing salted dry-roasted peanuts and banana chips together (apart from my regular trail mix) and I think it's helped replenish what I lose through sweat & evaporation. No hydration problems on my JMT hike under obviously much drier conditions.

Mountain_Goat
01-25-2011, 10:56
I took powdered gatorade packs on a week long backpack trip in the whites last year and now i cannot drink lemon gatorade.

Warm gatorade eventually just tastes like flavored water.

hikingshoes
01-25-2011, 11:38
Nuun tablets weigh lot less for electrolyte replacement and even have a bit of carbonation. There is no sugar in them but they do a bit of flavor (probably not enough to cover Iodine taste if you use iodine for water treatment). The down side is that Nuun tablets arent cheap and are harder to find.

For a lot of folks, the key electrolyte to replace is potassium and its not in a lot of salty foods that they crave when they are low on electrolytes. Morton light salt has a blend of sodium chloride and potassium chloride which works well for an electrolyte replacement, I occasionally add it to koolaide when I knoiw I am going to be hiking in hot conditions. A lo of the low sodium foods at grocery stores use potassium chloride as a flavoring ingredient. I drink V-8 low sodium spicy vegatable juice after a dayhike especially in the winter when I dont tend to drink enough.

Very well put!!!!thanks HS

Hoop
01-25-2011, 13:47
Powdered Gatorade per serving: 30mg potassium, 100mg sodium, 14g sugar

Powdered Vitalyte per serving: 92mg potassium, 68mg sodium, 10g sugar

208AT
01-25-2011, 18:40
Any idea how much they are?

208AT
01-25-2011, 18:49
Any idea how much they run for?Or where I can get them?

couscous
01-25-2011, 19:00
Any idea how much they run for?Or where I can get them?

This will get you started, comes in "bulk" or packets.
http://www.rei.com/product/520007

208AT
01-25-2011, 19:03
Thanks a bunch!

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2011, 19:36
I carry powdered drink mix all the time, either Gatorade, Tang or something similar. (You should know that the generic or store brands of drink mix are EXACTLY the same as name brands like Kool-Aid but cost about half as much, so). One tip if you want to save some weight......carry some of the real powder with you, i.e Gatorade, etc. but also carry the sugar free stuff in tubes like Crystal Lite, etc. Make the sugar free stuff but every time you do, throw a bit of "real" sugar powder into the mix; it'll make it taste a whole lot better but you won't have the weight penalty of leaving town with a whole tub of the "real" sugar powder which is often 26 or 28 ounces. The sugar free stuff with a bit of "real" powder added to it tastes great and you can save a pound or so of pack weight every time you leave town. (That being said, you can also choose to pay the weight penalty and just carry the real powder, which of course, tastes 1000% better than the various fake sugared drinks). At the end of a long day, a real quart of Gatorade in the middle of nowhere, made from real sugar, is a beautifuul thing.

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 20:29
Not to slam anyones views or comments, I just want to give a little insight to some info.
In the medical field we have run into many people that are notably in good shape but have dangerously high Sodium and Potassium levels. Our first question to them when we get the lab results are "How many sports drinks do you consume a day?". A lot of times we hear "I only drink sports drinks and water".

Please moderate your intake of sports drinks. If you like to drink several a day the G2 by gatorade has reduced amounts of the electrolytes.

Most people meet/exceed the amount of sodium needed just from consuming everyday foods.

All things in moderation (except love and Harleys)

208AT
01-25-2011, 22:09
Don't worry,its just for the week