PDA

View Full Version : What to pack

208AT
01-24-2011, 21:37
I'm 14,and about 110 lbs.But next summer,I'm going to do about 80 miles,and I want to keep my pack around 30 lbs,because I'm sure I'll grow by then.I know what I'm going to do about food,cooking,and water.And a basic idea of sleeping arrangements.But What else do I pack?ex. what kind of clothes,extras,and types of sleeping bags and tents.

Appalachian Tater
01-24-2011, 21:39
It woudl help if you say where you are planning to hike and when. What you need will vary depending on whether it is August in Georgia or May in Maine, etc.

208AT
01-24-2011, 21:41
Oops.forgot to put that in.We're going somewhere in Virginia,as early in July as possible

grayfox
01-25-2011, 01:08
208AT, sounds like you are in for a good time next summer. Try to keep your pack as light as you can. A good way to do that is to remember the saying that, 'Your pack is as heavy as your fear.' Many people pack too much stuff in their packs because they think that they will feel safer, but usually they just end up feeling tired. Another way to have a light pack is to get 'Dad' to carry the heavy stuff! Aim to start your hike with only 20 to 25 pounds max. If you feel good on day two of your hike, then you can offer to lighten someone else's load.

Summer weather is usually warm, so you probably won't need a lot of clothes, but don't forget your rain coat or a poncho. A good pair of shoes, probably not boots though, is a must and everything else is up to you and what you like to wear as long as it is not made of cotton. But, I often wear a cotton shirt in summer heat-I just also carry one that is not cotton and change into it when the cotton starts to feel cold.

Try not to carry a lot of 'stuff' that you think you 'might' need. Like a big pocket knife, extra underwear, big flashlights--if you don't need it while you are walking and you don't need it while you are sleeping then you probaby don't need it at all.

If you can get out for an overnight in the back yard-well, once the snow melts in Ohio say about June or so, that would be good. But even now, you can pretend camp in the living room or basement. Just gather the things you think you will need for your camp and don't go back to the rest of the house for anything (except to use the bathroom). Make a list of the things you wish you had brought to your pretend camp, add them to your pack, and try again until you are happy with your choices.

Remember, a heavy pack means a comfortable camp and a light pack means a comfortable hike. You need to find a happy balance between too much stuff to carry and too little stuff to be comfortable.

Remember to always carry your whistle with you, putting it on an elastic band around your wrist is better than a string around your neck, for obvious reasons.

If you are too big, or embarassed, to pack your Teddy Bear; take something with you that gives you comfort--like some favorite music or a book that you like a lot, or a snickers bar(don't sleep with it though). Me, I just pack my bear.

Hope you have a great hike and lots of fun planing for it.

grayfox

208AT
01-25-2011, 15:53
Great,that helps alot.Some questions about footwear though.Why shoes instead of boots?What if there's mud,need traction,or ankle support?And do you think those Vibram Five Fingers would be worth the weight?Wether they're camp shoes,or hiking/water shoes.

Jedeye
01-25-2011, 16:02
Reasons to wear shoes over boots would be that if they get wet on the inside they dry faster, they are lite and boots could get pretty hot during the summer. As for the five fingers I would not recommend them for camp shoes. I have a pair and love them, but if they get wet they really don't dry as quickly as you would thing. A cheep pair of flip flops will get the job done.

mister krabs
01-25-2011, 16:16
Welcome 208AT!

You'll have a great time, and the fact that you're researching this shows you have a good head on your shoulders!

Go to the home page and use the menu on the left, one of the many useful things you will find is the article, What to carry (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=132311#post132311).

208AT
01-25-2011, 18:39
Great,thanks!I'm sure I'll be back here again