PDA

View Full Version : GA vs GSMNP?

Point Man Chef
01-24-2011, 22:37
So I am reading the AT Guide and it states that, in regards to GSMNP, "The section's many deep gaps and high peaks involve considerably more climbing than a casual inspection of the route would indicate." Is that one of those"not to be taken internally" sunscreen warnings or is it valid! Would those with experience consider the GSMNP more "difficult" than GA? I am asking because I am trying to get a feel for what my daily miles would be as compared to the trail up to this section. Also, would be hiking in the Summer. Thanks!

10-K
01-24-2011, 22:46
I would say that GSMNP is more difficult than GA if for no other reason than the elevation being so much greater. I forget how much but I think it's around 35 or so miles where you never drop below 5000' (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

So, half the time you're walking on a ridge between 5000' and 6000' and the other half of the time you're going up (way up) and down (way down).

Lots of effort required for sure.

Cookerhiker
01-24-2011, 22:50
Hard call between GA vs the Smokies. I recall in GA you're almost always going up or down whereas the Smokies have some relatively level stretches. But your initial ascent to the Smokies ridgeline is about 3,000' and some climbs/descents are very steep e.g. hiking south up Thunderhead.

What I'm less equivocal about is that the Nantahala NF section from Winding Stair Gap (US Rt. 64) to Fontana is harder than either GA or the Smokies.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2011, 22:53
So I am reading the AT Guide and it states that, in regards to GSMNP, "The section's many deep gaps and high peaks involve considerably more climbing than a casual inspection of the route would indicate." Is that one of those"not to be taken internally" sunscreen warnings or is it valid! Would those with experience consider the GSMNP more "difficult" than GA? I am asking because I am trying to get a feel for what my daily miles would be as compared to the trail up to this section. Also, would be hiking in the Summer. Thanks!

i don't think either are difficult. lotsa swithbacks with soft footing. no worries. just walk

Point Man Chef
01-24-2011, 23:05
Hard call between GA vs the Smokies. I recall in GA you're almost always going up or down whereas the Smokies have some relatively level stretches. But your initial ascent to the Smokies ridgeline is about 3,000' and some climbs/descents are very steep e.g. hiking south up Thunderhead.

What I'm less equivocal about is that the Nantahala NF section from Winding Stair Gap (US Rt. 64) to Fontana is harder than either GA or the Smokies.

Wow. That's the next section I'm doing in April. Going to go from Rock Gap to Fontana. So sounds like a warm up for GSMNP huh?!

soccrosse
01-24-2011, 23:11
I thought the Smokies were more a ridge walk than Georgia, a real fun time. The real surprise is how quickly the weather changes.

Marta
01-25-2011, 07:49
Wow. That's the next section I'm doing in April. Going to go from Rock Gap to Fontana. So sounds like a warm up for GSMNP huh?!

Yeah, I think NOC to Fontana is the hardest section in the southeast. It's like the Smokies compressed into 30 miles.

I don't think the Smokies are all that tough. The elevation change is great, but most of that is done very gradually. The only place that has some challenging walking is around Thunderhead.

The big deal can be the weather. Because it's high, the AT through the Smokies can get more snow than surrounding areas. And they get a lot of rain and mist. On a ridgeline, rain and mist coupled with wind and near-freezing temperatures can make for a painful hike.

fredmugs
01-25-2011, 08:07
I think a lot of it comes down to what you like and what you're used to. I love climbing non rocky trails so NOC to Fontana was no problem at all. I'm hoping to finally get through GSMNP mid May. I may take a friend with me and if I do that we will take 5 days and if I go alone I may do it in 3.5.

juma
01-25-2011, 08:33
There is a lot of up and down that doesn't show up in the compressed miniaturized elevation profile on the map.

Point Man Chef
01-25-2011, 19:52
Again, thanks for all the input here on WB. My son and I got to Springer last summer on a Thursday around 4 PM, did 7 or 8 miles. We were at the Back Country Kiosk at 7:30 PM on Tuesday having made it to Deep Gap and down the Kimsey Creek Trail. Since that section was sort of close to the same distance as the GSMNP that's why I was wondering out loud to those with the experience. Thanks to ALL AGAIN!!!

TheChop
01-25-2011, 19:59
I'll have to say the Smokies even though I've only done Springer to Neel in Georgia. The good thing about GSMNP is once you're on the ridge line you're alright. The climb up from Davenport or from Fontana is killer. Thunder**** Mountain wasn't the problem but Briar Knob was ridiculous. The kick in the ass that is Thunderass Mountain is the summit has absolutely zero views.

If it's a question of planning miles I'd say they're more or less even. When you're going up from Fontana that will seem harder than Georgia but only because you've already hiked Georgia.

bpitt
01-25-2011, 20:05
GA was tougher to me than GSMNP. A lot more ups and downs it seemed.

ChinMusic
01-25-2011, 20:05
I'd say GA and the Smokies were similar in exertion. You can get more weather issues in the Smokies. The Smokies have some rough areas around Thunderhead but has more flatish areas than GA.

Blissful
01-25-2011, 20:06
Agree with Marta on the Stecoahs. Even when I went SOBO and in shape they were still tough. The first part of GSMNP NOBO is rather hard with ups and downs. Likely to have t-storms in the summer. But after Clingman's Dome, no big deal, a ridgewalk.