PDA

View Full Version : Sleepinbags.... I need input.

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 05:09
Planning a NOBO from Springer starting in April. Would love some input from a thru-hiker as to what degree bag I should buy. +20, +30, etc.

Would like to go as light as possible and still be warm. I would LIKE to say price is no object, but I can't afford a $700 bag or anything. I'm also set on synthetic fill.

Reg. Length
synthetic fill
most likely mummy
Tent and trail shelter camping
Will sleep in clothes if I have to but prefer undies.

Please help me Pros!

nitewalker
01-25-2011, 08:42
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4264,78020_Marmot-5ºF-Snowy-Range-Sleeping-Bag-600-Fill-Power-Down-Mummy-Regular.html

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/23440_d-camping-and-hiking-gear/78018_p-marmot-20-f-medicine-bow-down-sleeping-bag-mummy-600-fill-power/

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/23440_d-camping-and-hiking-gear/92959_p-marmot-15-f-wizard-sleeping-bag-mummy/

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/23440_d-camping-and-hiking-gear/3235T_p-sierra-designs-15-f-spark-sleeping-bag-800-fill-power-down-long-mummy-for-women/

you can get these at seirra trading post. if your a first time customer they will give you an additional 20% off of already sale price. if you do not like these bags search the website. they have several bags for men and women. they also have lots of gear on sale. they seem to have decent prices when applying the extra coupon....good luck on you venture for a new bag..

mountain squid
01-25-2011, 09:02
In 2004, I started 20 Apr with a 30F bag and a silk liner. I was ok, with only a few nights below freezing.

If I were starting much earlier than that I would likely choose at least a 20F.

Why are you set on synthetic? Down is the way to go, if you want "to go as light as possible."

Just my .02 worth . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Tagless
01-25-2011, 09:08
Gipsy,

As you've probably considered, the range of temperatures that you will encounter during the 5-6 months you will be on the trail vary greatly. Therein lies the problem.

Most of the thru hikers my wife and I encountered used two bags, starting and ending with a cold weather (lower temp rating) bag, and using a warm weather bag in between. Specifically, we each used a 15 degree and a 40 degree down Montbell SS bag throughout our 2009 hike. This worked out very well. We had no problem at all using down bags.

On one extreme, we experienced below freezing nights and were thankful to have 15 degree bags that kept us warm. During some hot summer nights we sweated profusely and had to unzip our 40 degree bags.

If you carefully shop around, I believe you can purchase two bags (one for cold weather and one for warm weather) in the $200-300 range (total) that will meet your expectations.

Here is one link (http://www.backcountry.com/sleeping-bags) that may be helpful.

You've come to the right place for good advice. No doubt you'll hear from thru hikers that used one bag the entire way.

I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just that having both a cold and warm weather bag may be a more practical option - particularly if both can be purchased within your budget.

tammons
01-25-2011, 10:02
If down - no dwr though
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

Other than that I would be looking at montbell bags like a #3 with some
good insulated clothing.

http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_ul_spiral_down_hugger_3_long.html

In the summer I prefer a synthetic bag, but you dont even really need a bag in the summer.
A quilt is better, like 50dF and a lot lighter.

You could also go with climasheild quilts.
One 3 season, one summer and use both when cold.

MLD makes both. If you look at the regular sizes Thats 18oz/30dF +14oz/45dF so would add up to about 2# total and $360.

Thruhiker should have climashield back in stock and you could save some $ if you built your own quilts. With climashield its easy since no baffles. All you have to do is sew the edges.

BrianLe
01-25-2011, 11:09
Your comment about sleeping in clothes is certainly related to what you can get away with.

My personal inclination if starting April 20 would be to get about a 30F rated down bag with a full-length zipper. That's what I used from Pearisburg to the end, a WM Summerlite. With the full zipper it was fine for me to open it up and use like a quilt in warmer weather. For the beginning part I'd plan to sleep in whatever insulated clothing you're bringing on the colder nights.

Note that this is my *guess*, as I have no experience with the southern part of the trail in late April --- I started last year in late February. For those conditions a 20F rated bag with me wearing significant insulated clothing inside worked for me, with temps getting down into the teens.

Jim Adams
01-25-2011, 12:11
I would definitely go with down as it is lighter, packs smaller and will last longer.
I just ran through the Campmor inventory on line and found that you can mix and match between several quality down bags and purchase a 40*-45* AND a 20*-0* for $300 or less.
This would solve your problem of only1 bag.
Why synthetic?

geek

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2011, 14:07
Re: Campmor bags

Read the reviews. While they are decent value bags, there are many comments regarding their fit (many find them shorter than advertised fit so if you're at the upper limit go longer) and temperature rating (many find them not as warm as advertised). Not knocking Campmor's products per se, as I had an old brown 20 deg for years and it served me well, but I'd be thinking of looking at their 20 as a 25 to 30 and their 0 as a 10 after reading some of the comments AND looking at their fill weights and fill power vs bags from other manufacturers.

Ladytrekker
01-25-2011, 14:15
I sleep cold and I just purchased a Montbell UL Super Spiral #1 with 650 down (15 degrees) have used it in 30 degree temps and was toasty I could not be more pleased with this bag. With a higher budget you cannot beat the UL Super Spiral ) or 15 degree with 800 down very light just make sure you keep it dry it packs down to very small and weighs less than two lbs and should be warmer than the 15. the bag has that stretchy stitching and I can turn around in the bag real happy with this bag.

DavidNH
01-25-2011, 14:29
get a down bag.. more warmth for the weight. Yes, I know down is useless when wet but just don't let bag get wet.

Sleepingbag should be carried in a water proof stuff sack, and wrapped perhaps again in waterproof bag. Always as well have a pack cover. Only take bag out in shelter or inside tent.

David

skinewmexico
01-25-2011, 20:59
Ask anyone who has tried to sleep in a wet synthetic, and they'll tell you all bags are essentially useless when wet.

Blissful
01-25-2011, 22:01
If money isn't that big of a deal, can't go wrong with Montbell and Western Mountaineering bags, even though you say you want synthetic. For down they have superb water repellency and very lightweight and compressable. Even in April I'd go with 20 degree. I used synthetic for my summer bag, actually, when it hit late May (Marmot 40 degree pounder). The lower the temp rating though, the heavier synthetic gets. But my son carried a 20 degree synthetic Cat's Meow and did fine. It is a narrower cut bag though

SassyWindsor
01-25-2011, 22:48
Synthetic: get the Polarguard 3D or better fill, I have a NF Cats Meow

Down: Western Mountaineering bag is the only one I have experience with, expensive but well worth it. I typically use this bag mainly because of the weight difference, I'm just careful not to get it wet.

I use the synthetic when getting it wet is a problem, kayaking or just hiking in very humid or rainy conditions for long periods. Down is USELESS when wet, however, synthetic is heavier. Always use a dry bag to keep the down bag in.

I consider the sleeping bag to be my most important piece of gear in times of cold.