PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for Food from Atlanta Airport or Gainesville

AmyJanette
01-25-2011, 09:53
Hi everyone!

I am arriving from Canada at the Atlanta Airport on April 13th (if all goes as planned), and I am taking the MARTA to Gainesville, and the plan is to go on to the Hiker Hostel from there.

What I would like to know is whether anyone could suggest or recommend anywhere near the airport or in Gainesville where I can pick up my food supplies (as I won't be bringing any food items on the plane with me). I was also wondering if the Hiker Hostel sells trail food? I looked on their website and they have an outfitter there but there was no mention of food. I'd like somewhere near the Atlanta airport or the MARTA station in Gainesville, because I don't want to miss any rides anywhere!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

max patch
01-25-2011, 10:01
Marta doesn't go to Gainesville. Marta goes from the airport to north Atlanta. Hiker Hostel is in Dahlonega which has a Super Walmart and plenty of grocery stores. I'd bet that the HH would make a supply run; email and find out.

swjohnsey
01-25-2011, 10:06
I'm flying into Atlanta a couple of weeks earlier and staying at HH. I'm bringing my trail food with me so I won't have to try and shop in a strange place.

From my experiences in other cities, there won't be any grocery stores near the airport or near the train station where the HH folks will pick up up. There will be grocery stores and such in Dalonaga where the HH is located.

Jim Adams
01-25-2011, 10:13
Blairsville, Ga. has two great super markets and it is close to Springer...only 12 miles from Neels Gap.

geek

Bob McCaw
01-25-2011, 10:30
The Hiker Hostel makes a run to the nearby Walmart in Dahlonega as part of their service. There is another supermarket in Dahlonega and they'd probably go there as well if you ask real nice.

Helios
01-25-2011, 10:36
I stayed at the HH last year. Josh took a bunch of us to the Walmart, just a short ride down the road. No worries!

Sickmont
01-25-2011, 10:52
I'd be willing to bet theres a Kroger or a Winn Dixie somewhere around that area.

generoll
01-25-2011, 11:21
the second to the last MARTA exit north is by an REI. ask the folks from HH if they'll pick you up there. plenty of trail food and other supplies available there.

ShelterLeopard
01-25-2011, 11:32
I came in (with Cygnet) via train to Gainesville. Mongoose picked us up and took us to a grocery store there which was great, but if you don't have easy car transportation, I don't think Gainesville would be too easy to navigate. (Well, from the train station, anyway)

NerdyJohn
01-25-2011, 12:11
I used to live in Atlanta. Unless you know exactly where you are going, don't explore the neighborhoods surrounding the airport. It's not any worse than any other major airport neighborhood, but you're not going to find anything you need for your hike there. At least not anything legal.

I've never stayed in the HH, but from previous posts, it sounds like they've got you covered. I would do that.

As Generoll mentioned, there is a large REI near one of the northboud MARTA stations if you need it.

Delta-Dawn
01-25-2011, 13:27
There is also another outfitter as you travel north on 400 called The Outside World in Dawsonville, on the right just before the outlet mall. It is not as big as REI but a great store with very helpful and knowledgeable sales staff. Traveling from the MARTA station to HH, you will pass numerous stores but if they do a Wal-Mart run, then I think that would be your best bet. The Wal-Mart in Dahlonega has a good camping/outdoors department. Don't try to do any of your shopping from the train stops, just stay on MARTA until the North Springs station and then do your shopping after.

ebandlam
01-25-2011, 14:12
I used to live in Atlanta. Unless you know exactly where you are going, don't explore the neighborhoods surrounding the airport. It's not any worse than any other major airport neighborhood, but you're not going to find anything you need for your hike there. At least not anything legal.

I've never stayed in the HH, but from previous posts, it sounds like they've got you covered. I would do that.

As Generoll mentioned, there is a large REI near one of the northboud MARTA stations if you need it.

Totally agree with NerdyJohn. The area around the Atlanta airport is probably not where you should be shopping. First, there isn't an easy way for you to get to the supermarkets there. From the airport take the red line to North Springs Station and then transfer to Bus route 185. 185 gets you up to Winward Pkwy. There is a Walmart on Winward Pkwy.

tigerpaw
01-25-2011, 14:20
some of you are worried about certain elements in the neighborhoods around the ATL airport? There are no big-box retail establishments that are convenient to Hartsfield-Jackson, that's correct.

There is a Publix just across Peachtree from the Amtrak station, if you were taking the train to Gainesville. Try the Google search feature...

mister krabs
01-25-2011, 14:36
some of you are worried about certain elements in the neighborhoods around the ATL airport? There are no big-box retail establishments that are convenient to Hartsfield-Jackson, that's correct.

There is a Publix just across Peachtree from the Amtrak station, if you were taking the train to Gainesville. Try the Google search feature...

Um, south atlanta has many more threats than the trail. I'll leave it at that.

OP should shop in dahlonega.

Sickmont
01-25-2011, 14:48
Um, south atlanta has many more threats than the trail. I'll leave it at that.

OP should shop in dahlonega.

You got that right. East Point and College Park are not my favorites places to wander around thats for certain.

AmyJanette
01-25-2011, 16:44
Thanks for all your replies. You are a wonderful bunch, and so helpful! I think I will email HH and make sure there will be a WalMart run...I can get everything I need there. :) Thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations! I knew I could count on you guys!

BTW, Maxpatch, thanks for pointing out that the MARTA doesn't go to gainesville...I double checked on the HH website and it goes to North Springs...they will pick you up there OR in Gainesville...glad I found that out now instead of in Atlanta! :)

mweinstone
01-25-2011, 18:06
sooooo jelose,

mweinstone
01-25-2011, 18:16
wish i was a newbee figuring out my first food stop. respect 2011, may i call yall "eleven"?
you eleveners got a cool thing out in front of you. enjoy every moment. even the waiting.you all have this moment. the winter you sat and stared at the calander and waited to embark on the appalachian trail.the nights falling to sleep going thru your moves. the lists and the new lists and the new abreviated lists and the lists that replace those. the figuring. the weighing. the packageing and repacking. the worry and the fear and the excitement. and then it happens. it allways happens about 200 yards up the approch trail. a full body shiver goes thru you after the last sound of the cars down in the parking lot pull away and you hike strong.for the first time in your life you have no obligations. no ties. no worries.you smile so hard it hurts. and you look around to be shure your alone, and screem,.....woohoo!then you put your game face on and walk. whisteling.

Sierra Echo
01-25-2011, 18:26
Blairsville, Ga. has two great super markets and it is close to Springer...only 12 miles from Neels Gap.

geek

Blairsville has 3 grocery stores.

walkin' wally
01-26-2011, 23:11
wish i was a newbee figuring out my first food stop. respect 2011, may i call yall "eleven"?
you eleveners got a cool thing out in front of you. enjoy every moment. even the waiting.you all have this moment. the winter you sat and stared at the calander and waited to embark on the appalachian trail.the nights falling to sleep going thru your moves. the lists and the new lists and the new abreviated lists and the lists that replace those. the figuring. the weighing. the packageing and repacking. the worry and the fear and the excitement. and then it happens. it allways happens about 200 yards up the approch trail. a full body shiver goes thru you after the last sound of the cars down in the parking lot pull away and you hike strong.for the first time in your life you have no obligations. no ties. no worries.you smile so hard it hurts. and you look around to be shure your alone, and screem,.....woohoo!then you put your game face on and walk. whisteling.

I like this post :banana

FatMan
01-26-2011, 23:27

geek

Blairsville has 3 grocery stores.Blairsville is a nice town (our county seat) with plenty of amenities, but not all that close to Springer.

Walmart Dahlonega is the best option for supply before heading to Amicalola or Springer. They have a larger than normal hunting and camping section and has large grocery store too.

The Hiker Hostel will see that you are well taken care of before heading out to the trail.