PDA

View Full Version : Camelbak leak and bladder questions

Buffalo Skipper
01-25-2011, 12:13
I have a leak in my Camelbak, in an odd place. It is right where the fill opening attaches to the bladder. Not the threads, but at the seam. It is a pinhole size leak.

I was able to use it on my last trek, so long as I did not fill up the bladder. I do like the convenience of the bladder, and was able to 1/2 fill/re-fill it easily enough.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have the 70 oz Omega, and it appears that Camelbak has a new model out and no longer makes the Omega line.

Sickmont
01-25-2011, 12:22
Have you tried to get in touch with Camelback about this? They may be able to either repair it or sell you a new bladder. I'd try them first.

SwitchbackVT
01-25-2011, 12:30
Call Camelbak, or swing by your local outfitter. They should hook you up, I've had 2 Camelbaks die on me over the years, and both times they were replaced free of charge. They're pretty good about standing by their products.

Good luck!

Buffalo Skipper
01-25-2011, 12:41
Thanks I will. BTW, I did not post the pic of where the leak is. Sorry.

NerdyJohn
01-25-2011, 14:46
I fixed a similar leak on mine with a pointed soldering iron tip. Just melted it closed.

Works on cracked hard plastics too if you have a flat tip instead of a pointed one.

Buffalo Skipper
01-25-2011, 15:01
I fixed a similar leak on mine with a pointed soldering iron tip. Just melted it closed.

Works on cracked hard plastics too if you have a flat tip instead of a pointed one.

Acutally, I have a rather nice Weller station with multiple tips and adjustable temp. I will definately look into that....

Pioneer Spirit
01-25-2011, 15:51
It's good to know about the replacement. I broke the hook tab off of the top of mine.

Buffalo Skipper
01-25-2011, 17:26
...I broke the hook tab off of the top of mine.

...As did I.

Rain Man
01-26-2011, 11:20
Call Camelbak, or swing by your local outfitter. They should hook you up, I've had 2 Camelbaks die on me over the years, and both times they were replaced free of charge. They're pretty good about standing by their products.

Not to throw cold water, but that has not been my experience at all. I'm on my third CamelBak. The first one failed, then the second, after I had bought the third. I contacted CamelBak and got the old "fine print" and "jump through hoops" canned-speech. Basically, they refused to help me.

Rain Man

wrongway_08
01-26-2011, 14:18
these work great. I have one on from years ago and it still holds. My leak was on the seam and thought this would make a quick fix but it turned out to be a perminent fix!

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/ptgsp1-1.jpg

Buffalo Skipper
02-15-2011, 13:26
I wanted to follow up on this. I emailed Camelbak and they said they product was under a lifetime warranty. I will be sending it in for repair/replacement.

I wanted to ask one more general question about Camelbak bladders:

What is your experience with these bladders and what is the general long term prognosis of their durability?

I know many of you don't use them. At about 7 oz, I consider this more of a luxury item than a necessity, but there is a convenience to having an extra 2 liter capacity when needed.

Your thoughts?

LoneRidgeRunner
02-15-2011, 13:29
I wanted to follow up on this. I emailed Camelbak and they said they product was under a lifetime warranty. I will be sending it in for repair/replacement.

I wanted to ask one more general question about Camelbak bladders:

What is your experience with these bladders and what is the general long term prognosis of their durability?

I know many of you don't use them. At about 7 oz, I consider this more of a luxury item than a necessity, but there is a convenience to having an extra 2 liter capacity when needed.

Your thoughts?

I have 2 Camelbak bladders...the 70 oz versions and no problems with either of them....but my MSR Dromedary bag leaks a little at the cap...a very slow leak..but any leaks are unacceptable..

Sickmont
02-15-2011, 13:31
I dont use a Camelbak brand hydration system, but quite a few of my friends do. And i can say this about them. I've known 2 of my friends my entire time here in Florida(13 years) and after 13 years of mountain(swamp) biking and numerous nasty crashes and spills neither of them have replaced their bladders or packs yet.

Rick500
02-15-2011, 13:58
I have two Camelbaks: a 70 oz. and a 100 oz. No issues with either and I use them quite a bit.

Uncas10
02-19-2011, 15:07
It's good to know about the replacement. I broke the hook tab off of the top of mine.

Yeah the same thing happened to me last year about 2 weeks in. I just tied a string around the threaded opening with a loop at the top. I think that probably worked better than the plastic hook. It lasted all summer and it made my bladder easy to identify when there were several Camelbacks hanging at the shelter.

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2011, 16:09
Camelbak replaced mine, I think you lost your O ring.

q-tip
02-26-2011, 15:51
I had 4 failures in the sames place in two years. finally they sent me a military version of the 100 oz. problem solved...

q-tip
03-18-2011, 14:24
The camelback failed in the same place four times in three years. the finally replaced it with a 100 oz military model. At last-it works--no leaks.

Buffalo Skipper
03-18-2011, 14:52
Camelbak replaced mine, I think you lost your O ring.

Not sure if you were directing this at me, Wise Old Owl. If so, sorry I missed your reply last month. No this is not in the o-ring. It is in the joint between the bladder itself and where it is "welded" to the base of the screw cap assembly. The hole is imperceptible, but if you look, you can see the beading of water right at the bladder itself.

I contacted Camelbak, and they suggested to send it in for replacement, and in fact, went looking for a box to send it in just last night.

brian039
03-18-2011, 16:56
Camelbaks have a reputation for leaking, get a Platypus.

nufsaid
03-18-2011, 17:10
Not to throw cold water, but that has not been my experience at all. I'm on my third CamelBak. The first one failed, then the second, after I had bought the third. I contacted CamelBak and got the old "fine print" and "jump through hoops" canned-speech. Basically, they refused to help me.

Rain Man

Hire a lawyer and sue them.

zacrobmer
03-22-2011, 23:34
I have used Camelback bladders since 1998. I have and still use the military version (long grey, rectangular) I was issued in 2001. No leaks even after pretty drastic abuse. The only leaks I have ever seen others have were through neglect (punctures, tears etc) or operator error (hose used to pull out a ruck and it popped off, cross threaded cap, snagged bite valve).

That being said it is a plastic sack filled with water, treat it as such.

A few tips....
Buy one of the neoprene tube covers, it gets rid of the squeaks and insulates the tube a bit.
If the "slosh" drives you nuts, invert the bag and suck out the air.
Put a small electronic zip tie on the tube where it connects to the bladder, this will keep the tube from popping off.
A table of baking soda added to a full bladder will get rid of any odd tastes/smells after storage.
You can make your own hanger out of a coated metal cloths hanger.

Buffalo Skipper
05-10-2011, 13:47
Well, I was a little slow to act on this, but I did send off my Camelbak Omega 70oz. Yesterday, I received in the mail a replacement bladder, new in the box. It is also a 70oz Omega, which I understand is no longer made. It arrived without note or explanation.

I cannot complain. I will be using this right away. Interestingly, my old Camelbak weighted 7.7 oz and this one weighs 6.4. I still need to add my adapter, but I know that weighs less than an ounce. Not sure of the reason for the weight difference.

Glad to have a new bladder.