PDA

View Full Version : Backpack capacity measurement and ULA Equipment

Mooselook Marty
01-25-2011, 13:43
Hi all,

I recently reviewed the pack capacities/volumes for the ULA Circuit. Its total pack volume includes side pockets, a front pocket, the extension collar and hipbelt pockets. The aforementioned items increases capacity for the Circuit from 2400 cubic inches in the main body to 4200 cubic inches in total.

I am wondering if the 4200 inch capacity of the Circuit is consistent with the listed capacities of other backpacks. The Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, for example, lists its capacity at 3800 cubic inches. I have trouble conceptualizing that the Circuit could carry more than the GG Nimbus Ozone, especially if the GG’s massive extension collar was filled.

Do all backpack manufacturers measure their capacity the way as ULA Equipment? If not, please explain the differences.

Sorry if this has been explained before, but I could find no prior thread.

Thanks in advance :)

Marty

Helios
01-25-2011, 13:52
Backpacks being different in design, side or back panel pockets are included in their carrying capacity measurements for those that have them.

Looking at a GG pack with no pockets, and a ULA pack with pockets might be confusing. Mostly it comes down to how you pack your pack, and would you fully utilize the outside pockets.

Extension collars are usually in the total measurement too.

Ladytrekker
01-25-2011, 14:07
I love my ULA Circuit I downsized from an Osprey Ariel 65 which is a great pack however heavy and I felt the need to fill it. I find the Circuit fits my needs perfectly and it carries quite abit I think.

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab216/ladytrekker/AT-SpringertoHawkMtn003.jpg

Rocketman
01-25-2011, 14:11
Hi all,

I recently reviewed the pack capacities/volumes for the ULA Circuit. Its total pack volume includes side pockets, a front pocket, the extension collar and hipbelt pockets. The aforementioned items increases capacity for the Circuit from 2400 cubic inches in the main body to 4200 cubic inches in total.

I am wondering if the 4200 inch capacity of the Circuit is consistent with the listed capacities of other backpacks. The Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, for example, lists its capacity at 3800 cubic inches. I have trouble conceptualizing that the Circuit could carry more than the GG Nimbus Ozone, especially if the GG’s massive extension collar was filled.

Do all backpack manufacturers measure their capacity the way as ULA Equipment? If not, please explain the differences.

Marty

If you look at some pictures of "Fully Packed" ULA packs, you will see an enormous amount of equipment visible in the various pockets.

A GG pack typically doesn't contain gigantic gobs of equipment in the side pockets, and the pictures of the fully packed GG packs look quite different from a fully packed ULA.

If you haven't seen fully packed pictures of a ULA and one with just the internal compartment stuffed, then you can't really comprehend the magnitude of equipment you can stuff into those pockets.

That would explain your confusion.

A common way to measure capacities is to pack the bags and compartments and pockets with something like packing peanuts and then put those packing peanuts into a rectangular box and multiply height X width X length to get the volume.

I don't know if there is an official international standard for pack capacity.

It would be a good project for someone interested, such as yourself, to undertake and report on.

Franco
01-25-2011, 17:39

No. Some manufacturers do some don't.
Note that ULA spells out how it gets those sizes .
Backpackinglight a few months ago published an article on med size backpacks (around 60L) .
Out of 20 packs (12 brands) not a single one held the manufacturers given capacity with reading of 48 L for a 60/70 L pack all too common.
I have both the old and new Circuit, the new one hold (for me...) about an extra 5 L or so.
Franco

STICK
01-25-2011, 18:48
It will actually hold a lot. I did some video reviews on my Circuit just a few weeks ago and posted them on my blog. I go over what exactly I put in it, show it packed and then again unpacking everything. I cannot tell you it is exactly "4200" ci but it holds a lot. Here is the link to my videos:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/ula-circuit/

lori
01-25-2011, 19:27
Hi all,

I was in a store with an Ozone and the Circuit side by side. The answer is YES, IT CAN. Depth/breadth of the Circuit is impressive.

Larry Dean
01-25-2011, 20:27
Stick...great video of the ULA. I am considering a purchase and your review was very helpful to me.

Spokes
01-25-2011, 20:32
It will actually hold a lot. I did some video reviews on my Circuit just a few weeks ago and posted them on my blog. I go over what exactly I put in it, show it packed and then again unpacking everything. I cannot tell you it is exactly "4200" ci but it holds a lot. Here is the link to my videos:

Great job Stick!

STICK
01-25-2011, 20:32
Thanks Larry. As far as the Circuit, it is a great pack, but if my stuff keeps getting smaller, I may have to try out the OHM...

skinewmexico
01-25-2011, 20:40
I had to change my thinking when I got a Circuit, and adjust to the technique of using the outside pockets. Makes sense. Carry my tent outside now, and it hasn't complained yet.

Mooselook Marty
01-26-2011, 10:18
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.:D

Marty

Buffalo Skipper
01-26-2011, 12:25

Stick, thanks for a great video! The ULA Circuit is right now the bag at the top of my short list. I would like to ask a few personal questions (Hope I am not taking this too far from the original poster's inquiry). First, how did you like the medium belt? To understand your answer, however, I guess I need to know what is your waist size? Also, what size pack did you get, and what is your height and torso length. Hope you don't mind the questions. Looks like you and I are built about the same, so your answers will be very useful for me.

hanks.

pyroman53
01-26-2011, 14:25
I've had the Ozone for 4 years. Just got the Circuit for xmas. Circuit seems a bit smaller when I stuff my gear into it.

Granted, I haven't figured out how to stuff the pockets to the extent I see pictured, but maybe they just need to be stretched out with use. Also, the extension on the Ozone provides for a ridiculous amout of overflow, but I've never found that option too useful except for short periods.

Bottom line, I can get a little more stuff into the Ozone, but most trips I don't need the extra room. I think I'm gunna like the Circuit.

Franco
01-26-2011, 16:41
In the BPL test, measuring the packs the same way using pellets, the Ozone held 53 L (manufacturers specs :62L) the Circuit 48L (manufacturers specs 62 L)
Franco

Linesman
01-26-2011, 17:03
What size trash bag works best as a liner for the Circuit?

FamilyGuy
01-26-2011, 17:03
In the BPL test, measuring the packs the same way using pellets, the Ozone held 53 L (manufacturers specs :62L) the Circuit 48L (manufacturers specs 62 L)
Franco

To add, I had both packs and the Ozone had a noticeably larger main bag. The numbers quoted for the Ozone above does not include using the extension collar - only to just past the frame.

rusty075
01-26-2011, 17:19
I don't know if there is an official international standard for pack capacity.

In fact there is: ASTM F2153-07 (http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2153.htm). Basically it entails filling any close-able compartment with 38mm plastic balls and then counting how many balls you were able to fit inside. Things like open-topped side pockets, or compression pockets, are specifically not measured. BPL's volume testing was based on the ASTM standard, but didn't follow it exactly.

I know a lot of the big international brands; Osprey, Gregory, Lowe Alpine, etc, report their volumes to that standard. (It may be required for brands that sell in the EU) But smaller makers tend to play looser with the measurements.

STICK
01-26-2011, 17:57
Wow, I did not realize that that is how they measure the capacities. Interesting.

Linesman, I haven't used any trash compactor bags in my circuit. What I have done is made an oversized stuff sack for my sleeping bag and down jacket. I stuff this inside the stuff sack and then since it is sil it easily slides inside the Circuit. Then I just put my other stuff on top of it and compress it as needed. This way the entire pack is filled. The stuff sack weighs 1 oz.

Another thing I did was used a large Tyvek envelope that I got in the mail as a stuff sack. Just folded the edges over and run a string through it so that it cinches down. It is actually the same size as my sil stuff sack, and a little more durable (probably more water "proof" too) and it weighs 1.5 oz.

STICK
01-26-2011, 18:30
Stick, thanks for a great video! The ULA Circuit is right now the bag at the top of my short list. I would like to ask a few personal questions (Hope I am not taking this too far from the original poster's inquiry). First, how did you like the medium belt? To understand your answer, however, I guess I need to know what is your waist size? Also, what size pack did you get, and what is your height and torso length. Hope you don't mind the questions. Looks like you and I are built about the same, so your answers will be very useful for me.

hanks.

Buffalo Skipper,

First off, I am 5'10", 200 lbs. My waist is a 36 and my torso is 19.5"

The medium just came to the very edges of the front of my hips. It didn't dig into my stomach, but it also didn;t feel like it carried a load as well as the large. The large seemed to wrap around my hips better which made it feel like it transferred the weight to my hips more. However, since the large belt wraps further around my waist, it will dig into my stomach when I lean forward. This can be countered somewhat because the belt has 4 points in which to adjust it. I since the two bottom buckles down and leave the top a little looser. This way the belt is tight, but not digging into my tummy so much.

Hope this helps...

skinewmexico
01-26-2011, 20:09
I'm 5' 10", 210#, 20.5" torso, and I went with a large/large.

Singletrack
03-13-2011, 07:51
Franco

From this test you mentioned, what would be your guess, as to the size of the main compartment, including the extension collar of the Circuit? Maybe 40L?
Also, do you know the dimensions of the Circuit?

Franco
03-15-2011, 01:32
BPL measured the main compartment with the extended collar in use at 48 L. They do not consider the mesh pockets as "volume".
(twisting the roll down collar twice I think, could be 3 times)
The weight (36oz) is about right.
measured flat it is about 36" high ,16" wide.
Franco