PDA

View Full Version : ToeSox??

Majortrauma
01-25-2011, 14:41
Has anyone experimented with these yet.
http://shop.toesox.com/
The reviews I've seen are not very good but they were not hikers.

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2011, 14:57
I've actually heard good reviews about the Injinji brand of toe sox from people that use / like them, at least as to quality.

Rick500
01-25-2011, 15:34
I use Injinji socks pretty frequently. I like them a lot. I had been getting a blister on the side of my second toe from it and the third toe rubbing together, and these socks completely solve that problem.

IronGutsTommy
01-25-2011, 18:07
i used injinji "toe socks" as my base sock under a smart wool outer sock. I now swear by the injinjis. they help prevent chafing and athletes foot, and although i thought the whole glove-on-foot feel might bother me, i hardly noticed them the first hour or so and then couldnt feel any difference. i strongly suggest trying a pair as liner socks if not the thicker outer socks. i still want to try the injinji compression wool socks

JERMM
01-25-2011, 18:09
Injinji socks are great unless you have six toes

dzierzak
01-25-2011, 18:26
2x on Rick... Fewest bllisters ever with the toe socks as liners. Won't go out without them.

Kerosene
01-25-2011, 22:37
You can get Injinji toe socks for a few bucks less also here (http://www.backcountry.com/injinji-performance-crew-sock). Reviews are consistently 4-5 stars on multiple websites.

I've used Injinji crew socks as liners. They're a bit thick, and the CoolMax knit is a touch warm, but they eliminate blisters from toes rubbing together. I always bring a pair, and alternate them with thinner liners. My biggest gripe is having to turn each toe inside out in order to dry them.

Shutterbug
01-26-2011, 00:07
Has anyone experimented with these yet.
http://shop.toesox.com/
The reviews I've seen are not very good but they were not hikers.

I use Injinji socks with my Vibram 5 finger shoes when it is cold. They provide some insulation from the cold ground.

J5man
01-26-2011, 00:13
Injinji socks are great unless you have six toes

or four!

I am prone to blisters and used them on my last hike under my regular socks and liked them. Still need to use them on some more hikes to give a full endorsement. They also have one model which is thin that is actually used as a liner.

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 00:17
I've never tried this kind but I routinely wear toe socks under my thorlos. It seems to really help from hot spots and blisters. I'm going to order some of these to try out, thanks for sharing. :)

beakerman
01-27-2011, 15:25
glad I read that title more thanonce..I swore it said toe sEx which is something completely different and made me wonder why it was on this forum...

HockeyGirl
02-22-2011, 09:11
Just to clarify - are most people wearing these socks as liners or as their actual main hiking sock?
Do they make a thick long lasting hiking sock? :-?

I'm not keen on liners but do like toe socks in general so would be willing to give them a go if they stand up to the rigours of LD hiking.

Cheers.

Rick500
02-22-2011, 10:48
I wear them on their own. Well, with shoes. :)

PuF
03-03-2011, 15:47
I love mine and often put them on as soon as I arrive home from work. Great for when I am wearing my Chaco's.

Iceaxe
03-03-2011, 17:19
Just to clarify - are most people wearing these socks as liners or as their actual main hiking sock?
Do they make a thick long lasting hiking sock? :-?

I'm not keen on liners but do like toe socks in general so would be willing to give them a go if they stand up to the rigours of LD hiking.

Cheers.
I use them as liners under another pair of standard wool or synthetic socks.
In dry hot climates like the SoCal PCT and the CDT in new mexico and Wyoming I wore the ankle high injinji toe socks with a thin synthetic mens dress sock over the top. For wet hiking like the Sierra Nevada PCT and San Juans of the CDT I used the injinji's covered with a mid weight smartwool.
I always had two pair of injinji toes socks (micro size) and two or three pair of wool or synthetic socks to wear over the top. Each day i would wear one set of socks for a while until i got to a place where I could rinse them out. Then i would put a different set on and hang the wet socks off my pack to dry. The third set of wool oversocks were for sleeping and i rarely hiked in them.
Using them this way i had a pair on injinji toe socks of standard weight micro size(ankle high) last between 300 and 500 miles each. Even when i wore holes in them the toes of the socks were still intact, it was always the pad under the ball of the foot that wore out first.
The toe socks prevented toe blisters which i used to get regularly. They also kept my feet dryer between the toes and this kept grit and sand from sticking in there.
I have to stress that i was very diligent about rinsing (away from the water source) my socks at every opportunity. When i first started long distance hiking I would only wash socks at town stops.. they wore out a LOT quicker. The dailey rinse got the saltand grit out of the socks and this is critical IMHO to the toe socks remaining comfortable for long distance hiking.
There is an adjustment period involved in wearing them. It took me a while to get use to the feeling of fabric between my toes. Also if my feet got truly soaked in a river crossing the injinji's would sometimes get a little rucked up under my foot until I took them off and at least wrung most of the water out of them.
The main reason i began using them is the same reason I still do; They prevent me from getting those weird little blisters between my middle and 4th toe.
The secondary reason is; I am a firm believer in the friction reduction that comes with using a liner sock.

tirebiter
03-03-2011, 17:27
Putting in another vote for Injinji toe socks as liners. I have wider feet and used to always get blisters in between my toes from skin-on-skin friction, and toe socks completely eliminated the problem.

Rick500
03-03-2011, 18:12
Mountain Gear has the thinner ones right now (or did yesterday anyway) for $8.97.